20 years still can’t build an O- Line. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

20 years still can’t build an O- Line.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone here but some of the thoughts on how the line did, or how bad it did, are just, well I'll put it nicely, overblown. Could the line be better? Absolutely! Were they horrible, no!

After reading most of these posts since the game, many are using terms like horrible, awful, Tua ran for his life. Sorry but this is overblown imo. I taped the game and have gone thru it a couple times. (home with a slipped disc) First time keying on Eich, the second time watching all passing plays for the Phins and Pats. Tua was pressured 5 times, ran for his life twice, and was sacked twice....... He had clean pockets 17 times.

Again can the line be better? Absolutely! Was it horrible? Not in my opinion

BTW, Mack Jones was pressured 17 times ran for his life once, and sacked sacked twice, including the Roberts penalty. Should not have been!:-) :)

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone here but some of the thoughts on how the line did, or how bad it did, are just, well I'll put it nicely, overblown. Could the line be better? Absolutely! Were they horrible, no!

After reading most of these posts since the game, many are using terms like horrible, awful, Tua ran for his life. Sorry but this is overblown imo. I taped the game and have gone thru it a couple times. (home with a slipped disc) First time keying on Eich, the second time watching all passing plays for the Phins and Pats. Tua was pressured 5 times, ran for his life twice, and was sacked twice....... He had clean pockets 17 times.

Again can the line be better? Absolutely! Was it horrible? Not in my opinion

BTW, Mack Jones was pressured 17 times ran for his life once, and sacked sacked twice, including the Roberts penalty. Should not have been!:-) :)
Nice post, it’s spot on….

That is because we continue to play horrible QBs behind them. A good QB makes an OL way better. Notice how Tampa Bay's OL continued to improve as the season wore on last year? Get a real QB in here and our OL problems will suddenly go away. You can't have a good OL when you have Beck, Culpepper, Henne, Tannehill, and Tua behind C.
I couldn't agree more. Teams invest so much money on defensive lines to scheme getting to the QB really fast any given Sunday and they find creative ways to get there. It's all about scouting, coaching schemes, and most importantly a QB that can diagnose defense really quick. yeah.. not the online.

You have to look at how young the current OL is. Other than Davis, they are all first/second year players, most of which are high draft pick caliber. It's going to take some time to learn and gel. Their performance as a whole depends on communication, assignments, and working together, and that is going to take some time, but I think we have the right kids. One minor litmus test for me is that for the first time in ages, we really don't have an OL or 2 that literally everyone knows is terrible. Jackson probably takes the most heat of any of them, and I certainly haven't given up on him. He was very solid as a rookie last year in a VERY difficult role. My only concern is whether or not we have the right OL coach to make this all come together. That is the one thing that can definitely stall improvement.

I don't feel nearly as bad about our OL as I did during the Tannehill era. This OL is not bad really. Consider that we have 5 young OL with the oldest of that group being Deiter who is in his 3rd season. Then one veteran, Jesse Davis, who has the ability to play almost any OL spot. We now have depth and coverage across all of the OL. Even the rook Eichenberg did pretty well at LT in his first ever pro game against a very very good New England defense. This is considering he spent most of the pre-season being converted to LG and RT so the multi-spot learning curve surely has his head spinning.

I have been a Solomon Kindley fan since before we drafted him, and he wasn't bad at LG. I doubted his ability to handle the spot because lateral agility and spotting twists and such are not his strengths ... but he handled things well against the Patriots. Robert Hunt has shifted to his natural position as RG, and he looks serviceable with good potential. Jesse Davis provides the veteran presence we need. Even the much maligned Michael Deiter did OK for his debut as our starting C.

Are we great? No. Are we very good .... also no. But we're not one of the 3 worst OL's in the league every year, like we were when Tannehill was running for his life and taking hits like they were skittles. Tua will not survive if our OL gets that bad. But what I saw was an early season OL performance from a young OL that wasn't too shabby. I think we can make this work. Lots of depth and decent quality, and its almost all young. This is a good foundation to build around Tua, IMHO. Now, they need to improve, but I'm not down on our OL just yet.

I don't feel nearly as bad about our OL as I did during the Tannehill era. This OL is not bad really. Consider that we have 5 young OL with the oldest of that group being Deiter who is in his 3rd season. Then one veteran, Jesse Davis, who has the ability to play almost any OL spot. We now have depth and coverage across all of the OL. Even the rook Eichenberg did pretty well at LT in his first ever pro game against a very very good New England defense. This is considering he spent most of the pre-season being converted to LG and RT so the multi-spot learning curve surely has his head spinning.

I have been a Solomon Kindley fan since before we drafted him, and he wasn't bad at LG. I doubted his ability to handle the spot because lateral agility and spotting twists and such are not his strengths ... but he handled things well against the Patriots. Robert Hunt has shifted to his natural position as RG, and he looks serviceable with good potential. Jesse Davis provides the veteran presence we need. Even the much maligned Michael Deiter did OK for his debut as our starting C.

Are we great? No. Are we very good .... also no. But we're not one of the 3 worst OL's in the league every year, like we were when Tannehill was running for his life and taking hits like they were skittles. Tua will not survive if our OL gets that bad. But what I saw was an early season OL performance from a young OL that wasn't too shabby. I think we can make this work. Lots of depth and decent quality, and its almost all young. This is a good foundation to build around Tua, IMHO. Now, they need to improve, but I'm not down on our OL just yet.
Be prepared.

Lol! Shocker to read this post. Tua had clean pockets...sure! sure!

Not clean pockets, but aside from 1-2 plays like Eich getting bulldozed it really wasn't much different than what most NFL teams seem to put out on a weekly basis.

This might just be my opinion and I understand that, but the days of a clean pocket, drop back and throw are over in the NFL. Its all about pre snap reads and manipulating the pocket these days.

i saw tua get pressured and still try to hang in there to make a play of some sort.

i saw mac jones get pressured and dump it off.

i can't really recall maccy hanging in there under pressure looking to make a play downfield.

He actually did that several times, one was called back on a penalty though.

I'm on record as saying Jones is crap and I'm not backing down, but he did hang in the pocket and step into pressure a few times. I was quite honestly impressed and didn't think he had that in him.

Not clean pockets, but aside from 1-2 plays like Eich getting bulldozed it really wasn't much different than what most NFL teams seem to put out on a weekly basis.

This might just be my opinion and I understand that, but the days of a clean pocket, drop back and throw are over in the NFL. Its all about pre snap reads and manipulating the pocket these days.
Eich truly wasn't bulldozed on that play. Kindley had a foot in the matter...

He actually did that several times, one was called back on a penalty though.

I'm on record as saying Jones is crap and I'm not backing down, but he did hang in the pocket and step into pressure a few times. I was quite honestly impressed and didn't think he had that in him.
i will watch again.

upon first viewing i got the distinct impression that was not in their gameplan.

I only saw the play live and not the replay, so if that is what happened I take back the bulldozed part.

Yeah! He was defintley tripped by Kindley. It's unfortunate but it happens. It's going to be interesting to see how they match-up against the Bills. While i think the Pats DL is overall thicker(@circumstances RELAX!) and stronger I feel the Bills DL is overall more agile and quicker.

If they can hold up then there will be plays there in the secondary. The Bills secondary isn't nearly as strong overall compared to the Patriots even without Gilmore. #39(Wallace) is a a big weak link and struggles against bigger body types like Parker/Gesicki etc.

According to @BillsFanInPeace their LB(Milano) can cover any TE in the league. I'm curious to see if they leave him 1 on 1 with Gesicki.

Back
Top Bottom