2000 Dolphins v.s. 2005 Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2000 Dolphins v.s. 2005 Dolphins

fitskin

Starter
Reaction score
If the 2000 Dolphins went 11-5 and won the division, I have no doubt that we can do the same this year. Here is why:

Quarterbacks: Jay Fielder v.s A.J. Feely and Gus Ferrotte. Even if our starter only has an average year it will still be better than Jay's 2000 year 57.1 PCT, 2402 YDS, 14 TDs and 14 INTs. Whoever starts in Linehans offense will have a productive year, probably just a little better than the one Jay had in 2000. Advantage: 2005

Runningbacks: Lamar Smith v.s. Ronnie Brown and (Ricky Williams???). The answer to this question goes without saying. Brown is better than Smith (309 att, 1139 yds, 14tds) and Brown and Williams are better than any tandem in the league.
Advantage: 2005

Receivers/Tight Ends: Hunter Goodwin and Jed Weaver combined for 16 Rec, 215 yds and 1 td. McMicheal will have that after week 2. Orande Gadsden, Tony Martin, and Leslie Shepard were the 3 main targets for Jay. Chambers, Booker, Boston, and Thompson are much better receivers and I do not need to say anything more about this.

Offensive Line: I am not sure how good our o-line will be this year, I feel that they will be in the middle of the pack somewhere. (Nowhere near as bad as they were last season.) In 2000 we had a pretty solid unit. Webb, Wade, Donnalley, Dixon, Ruddy. I'm not sure if we will be as good as we were in 2000. This is a toss-up.
Advantage: Push

Defensive Line: Trace Armstrong, Jason Taylor, Kenny Mixon, Tim Bowens, and Daryl Gardener were a pretty strong unit. I could make a case for Taylor, Carter, Bowens, and Chester but Bowens and Chester are big ??????.
Advantage: 2000

Linebackers: Zach Thomas had a pro bowl year, but Derrick Rodgers and Robert Jones were only average. I feel that Zach, and whoever else starts will be very comparable to the 2000 unit.

Defensive Backs: Madison and Surtain in their prime's and a younger Marion with a decent SS in Walker. The 2005 d-backs won't hold a candle to the 2000 squad.

Coaching: I don't care what anyone says. I think Nick Saban is nothing short of a god. He does everything right and I can see a "coach of the year" in this guys future. I have a really good feeling about him and I feel that he does everything better than Wanny. Not to mention we have the best assistant coaching staff in the league.

As you can see the 2005 squad wins in 4 categories, loses in 2 and ties in 2.
Let me know if you disagree on any of the positions and also if you do not think that this years team is better than 2000's. It's going to be a fun year.

11-5 and a wild-card spot in the playoffs.

fitskin said:
If the 2000 Dolphins went 11-5 and won the division, I have no doubt that we can do the same this year. Here is why:

Quarterbacks: Jay Fielder v.s A.J. Feely and Gus Ferrotte. Even if our starter only has an average year it will still be better than Jay's 2000 year 57.1 PCT, 2402 YDS, 14 TDs and 14 INTs. Whoever starts in Linehans offense will have a productive year, probably just a little better than the one Jay had in 2000. Advantage: 2005

Runningbacks: Lamar Smith v.s. Ronnie Brown and (Ricky Williams???). The answer to this question goes without saying. Brown is better than Smith (309 att, 1139 yds, 14tds) and Brown and Williams are better than any tandem in the league.

Receivers/Tight Ends: Hunter Goodwin and Jed Weaver combined for 16 Rec, 215 yds and 1 td. McMicheal will have that after week 2. Orande Gadsden, Tony Martin, and Leslie Shepard were the 3 main targets for Jay. Chambers, Booker, Boston, and Thompson are much better receivers and I do not need to say anything more about this.

Offensive Line: I am not sure how good our o-line will be this year, I feel that they will be in the middle of the pack somewhere. (Nowhere near as bad as they were last season.) In 2000 we had a pretty solid unit. Webb, Wade, Donnalley, Dixon, Ruddy. I'm not sure if we will be as good as we were in 2000. This is a toss-up.

Defensive Line: Trace Armstrong, Jason Taylor, Kenny Mixon, Tim Bowens, and Daryl Gardener were a pretty strong unit. I could make a case for Taylor, Carter, Bowens, and Chester but Bowens and Chester are big ??????.

Linebackers: Zach Thomas had a pro bowl year, but Derrick Rodgers and Robert Jones were only average. I feel that Zach, and whoever else starts will be very comparable to the 2000 unit.

Defensive Backs: Madison and Surtain in their prime's and a younger Marion with a decent SS in Walker. The 2005 d-backs won't hold a candle to the 2000 squad.

Coaching: I don't care what anyone says. I think Nick Saban is nothing short of a god. He does everything right and I can see a "coach of the year" in this guys future. I have a really good feeling about him and I feel that he does everything better than Wanny. Not to mention we have the best assistant coaching staff in the league.

Let me know if you disagree on any of the positions and also if you do not think that this years team is better than 2000's. It's going to be a fun year.

Nice. But don't forget change in coaching styles and also relative improvement across the league. IMO, LBs 2005 are better than in 2000, even Pope, Bua, and Moore could contend with Rodgers and Jones. The 2000 DBs could definitely make any O-Coordinator or QB cry at night. If Bowens and Chester stay healthy I'd say 2005 has the advantage because we have so many great DEs. Our 2000 O-Line had 3 Pro Bowlers, this year we have formerly injured players, rookies, and underachievers. Houck should help with the third.

I agree with most of this assesment, but the fact that our division has the reigning SB champs who may not miss a beat as well as a playof NY Jets team and a potent Buffallo team is a huge factor to consider.

Despacio said:
I agree with most of this assesment, but the fact that our division has the reigning SB champs who may not miss a beat as well as a playof NY Jets team and a potent Buffallo team is a huge factor to consider.

Good point.

fitskin said:

The whole problem with comparing them is that as the team may be better in those areas, the variables change and the AFC is loaded and I don't know how many teams the Phins are better than in the AFC. I'll say Cleveland, and the rest ya really can't say they're better than.

djfresh47 said:
The whole problem with comparing them is that as the team may be better in those areas, the variables change and the AFC is loaded and I don't know how many teams the Phins are better than in the AFC. I'll say Cleveland, and the rest ya really can't say they're better than.

its a good point--we are only judging the PHINS ON THIS AND NOT OTHER TEAMS

2000 Miami Dolphins = 11-5
2005 Miami Dolphins = 0-0

I see what your'e saying, but its merely opinion and conjecture at this point in time. Simply because the football team of Miami Dolphins for the 2005 season does not exist at this point in time.
While I think, looking at it from this point in time, we look better on paper. However, we have no clue as to the injuries and other things that can change the final record of this season in 2006. I guess we'll have to make guesses now, and find out who's the closest at the end.

Bottom Line: we are better this year than we were in 2000. The 2000 team won the division. This means that we can and will compete in the East this year.

Back
Top Bottom