2003 Dolphins Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2003 Dolphins Mock Draft

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
It's never too early. If anything, this gives you some players to watch this fall.

1st round
REX GROSSMAN QB 6-1 223 FLORIDA

It's about time the Dolphins used a high pick on a QB. Grossman, while not my type of QB, is a very accurate passer who can really whip the ball down the field. Completed 65.5% of his passes last season with 34 TDs and almost 4,000 yards. Averaged 15 yards per completion and almost 10 yards per pass attempt. Would have been a top 15 pick had he declared this year. Grossman will likely drop due to the bigger QBs that will be available in the 2003 draft.

2nd round
To New Orleans in Ricky Williams deal. RW runs for around 1,400 yards.

3rd round
T.J. JACKSON OLB 6-1 225 VIRGINIA TECH.

Extremely athletic and active linebacker. Roams all over the field and makes a lot of plays. Fits the Dolphins style of defense. Runs really well.

4th round
MARCUS OGDEN OT 6-6 330 HOWARD

Jonathan's little brother. Not the prospect Jonathan was, but a prospect non-the-less. Big guy who can get nasty in the trenches. A project that needs some coaching.

5th round
TRENT FINDLEY CB 6-1 195 TENNESSEE-MARTIN

Sleeper cornerback who plays extremely well in man-to-man/press coverage. Runs a 4.4 forty and bench presses 320 lbs.

6th round
MICHAEL ALLEN OG 6-3 335 MISSISSIPPI STATE

Watch this guy's stock shoot up through the season. Came to MSU at 380 lbs last spring and couldn't run two plays in a row. Shed close to 50 lbs and was completely dominant this spring. Bench presses 500 lbs and power cleans 320 lbs. A player that goes for the throat and doesn't stop till the whistle blows.

7th round
MARQUIS FLOYD CB 6-1 190 WEST GEORGIA

Another big, physical corner who can play press coverage. Floyd is a lot like Findley in that he excells in man-to-man coverage. Picked off 8 passes for 150 yards last season and is a 2 time Division II All-South Region 1st teamer.

Seems like you might want to throw in a DE. Why two CB's?

I'm sorry but is too early for a mock draft.KB ever since Herald Talk you find a way to bash Fiedler.Mock draft at this time are pointless because you still got players that improving and we need to evaluate new player who might contribute big in upcoming season.Im not saying disagree about drafting QB in the first round because next year draft will be filled with QB but let's wait for the season.

Well, it's pretty easy to tell who has the potential to improve and who doesn't have the potential to improve. I'm a draft guy, so it is never too early for me to start looking at this stuff.

At DE, I like the potential that David Bowens and Adewale Ogunleye have. If one of them flop, then a DE could be drafted. I don't see this draft being very deep in DEs though. It's sort of like the OLB draft this year. No sense in taking one that won't help you.

I've got two corners because you Dave loves to take defensive backs. Miami will likely move a CB to safety anyway. Plus, Ray Green is playing CB this year, but you could project him as a starter at safety down the road (replacing Brock Marion, who is a year to year player right now). That leaves the 3rd/4th and 5th CB spots open.

I still bet that we won't take a QB again until at least 2004. OL and DL will be our biggest acq. WR too. Gadsden won't be able to hold up much longer than 2-3 years.

Actually I think the QB thing really is based on how Jay does this season. Even if Jay kicks butt, I still feel that taking a QB in the first round, if a real gem is sitting there, would be wise if for no other reason then he could learn behind Jay for a year.

Gotta get your franchise QB's when you can.

I still say we have no first round pick next year. ;)

Jay has a 2 year window. If we don't go for a QB, then the inevitable will only be prolonged. Jay gets cut in two years, Lucas signs elsewhere next year where he will get a real opportunity to start. That will leave only Tim Levcik.

It's the same thing we could/should have done last year. Had Miami taken Drew Brees, they would have never had to overpay to keep the mediocre Fiedler. If Miami doesn't take a QB next year, they are stuck with giving Fiedler a $2 million bonus and a 3 million salary that only escalates from that point on.

Originally posted by KB21
It's the same thing we could/should have done last year. Had Miami taken Drew Brees, they would have never had to overpay to keep the mediocre Fiedler

WOOOOHOOOO, KB called Jay mediocre!!!! lol

What is it about Grossman that you don't like?? I haven't seen him enough to deduce his strengths and weaknesses. Can he make all the throws?? Or is he a classic "Spurrier" QB??

I prefer the prototypical QB. i.e. 6-4 or 6-5, 230+ lbs.

Grossman is right around 6-1. I like his talent level. I don't like the fact that he played in Spurrier's offense. Because of that, he has to work on actually taking a snap under center, dropping back, and his footwork within the pocket. He throws a lot of off balance throws right now, so there is really no telling how good his arm could be when he starts setting his feet and stepping into his throws.

Does anyone know what kind of offense they'll be running at UF this year?? I gotta wonder because they recruited Gavin Dickey from Tallahassee-Lincoln High this year. And not only does Dickey have a cannon (also throws a fastball in the mid-90s), but he also runs like the wind (4.4 speed). In short, he's one of the top athletes in the country. A Michael Vick/Charlie Ward type QB (also short). Not your typical UF QB.

So this makes me wonder as to what kind of offense they'll run at UF.

They hired Marshall's offensive coordinator, so you can expect a lot of shot gun sets with 4 receivers. Even more so than what they ran with Spurrier. At least Spurrier ran the ball some.

I think this was really a bad move on UF's part. They have a great RB prospect in Ernest Graham, and he's going to be used very little. Much like Fred Taylor was used very little at UF. Graham is a difference maker. The only games UF lost last year were the games that Graham didn't play in.

Very true. I saw those games in which UF lost. And Graham would have made a huge difference in them. They simply couldn't convert in those short yardage situations. I like Graham a lot. Same thing happened to Jevon Kearse. Made a great player "good".

Back
Top Bottom