2003 WR Core...??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2003 WR Core...???

MDolphins2003

Practice Squad
Reaction score
A Look At The Phins 2003 WR Core.......

Chris Chambers: 52 Snags / 734 Yards / 14.1 AVG. / 59 L / 3 TD's

Has the talent to be a # 1 WR in the NFL. His skills over the next couple of season will sharpen and so will the passing game of the Miami Dolphins. C.C. had a rough season last year. He lost his starting QB & #2 WR for most of the season. That is part of the reason his stats were lower than expected. At times he does not seem to be focused and drops the easy ball. But then he comes back with a brilliant catch on the deep ball. Time will weed out the drops & lack of focus. When that time comes Chambers will start turning heads. But for now he needs to have a solid #2 guy on the field to take some of the pressure away from him.

2003 Projection: 78 Snags / 1,185 Yards / 15.9 AVG. / 83 L / 8 TD's

James McKnight: 29 Snags / 528 Yards / 18.2 AVG. / 77 L / 2 TD's

He was the best WR for the Phins last season when it came to spreading the field. His routes could use some work. He is best used as a #3 WR vs. a nickel or dime back. When he gets that match up his speed creates problems for the defense. That allows Ricky a little more room on the Line Of Scrimmage. That is the reason why I think he will be the #3 for the Phins this season. If he contains his errors to a minumum. The Phins deep passing game will have another target. Otherwise he may play his way off the field.

2003 Projection: 27 Snags / 456 Yards / 16.9 AVG. / 68 L / 2 TD's

Derrius Thompson:53 Snags / 773 Yards / 14.6 AVG. / 49 L / 4 TD's

Showed last season that he is worthy of a spot on this teams WR core. He played well in a system that WR's dream about. Although he does not have great speed. He does have damn good hands. This will make him the #2 guy for the Phins this season. He will not be spreading the field much. But he will be catching a fair amount of balls over the middle. He has good leaping abilities. He is the replacement for OG. Even if OG comes back it is Thompson job to lose not win. He does not have the hands of OG but the style of play is very close.

2003 Projection: 46 Snags / 519 Yards / 11.3 AVG. / 49 L / 4 TD's

Randy McMichael :39 Snags / 485 Yards / 12.4 AVG. / 45 L / 4 TD's

Randy was the best pick for the Phins last season. He might on his way to a probowl year this season. He does not have the speed to hurt a team after the catch. But he is hard to tackle in the open field. He runs his patterns like a vet. He has great catching ability for a TE. He has enough engery to power a small city. He should have a good season if Jay or Brian checks all options. This should be a much better season for him. It may not show up on the stats. But his everydown play will make a difference on the passing game and the running game.

2003 Projection: 47 Snags / 578 Yards / 12.3 AVG. / 37 L / 6 TD's

Robert Baker: 1 Snag / 17 Yards / 17.0 AVG. / 17 L / 0 TD's

Robert has had his fair share of injuries during training camps. That has been the biggest factor of him not getting any playing time. He is showing his skills over seas right now. He seems to be playing with a purpose. It is hard for a player to make it to the pros and then swallow the pride and play overseas. I think that Robert will make the team this season. He has average speed for a #3/#4 WR. He has shown sticky hands on catches that appear to be out of reach. He will have some nice plays for the Phins this season when they run 4/5 WR Sets. The problem is that they will not be doing much of that this season. It would be to much for him to play all season overseas and then play with the Big Boys over here. That is why I think this will be his last season overseas. The Phins have a Good #3/#4 guy here when he is healthy. Many might not think so...yet...but they will come around by mid season.

2003 Projection: 18 Snags / 284 Yards / 15.8 AVG. / 48 L / 1 TD

J.R. Tolver is not the WR that many fans wanted. But his skills will be needed over the next couple of seasons. Some players have good 40ty times others have good games times. Tolver shows up on game day. He should find his way on to the Phins roster this season. He had huge numbers in college. I do not see any 4/5 guys putting up huge numbers in the pros. But that being said he will show good things to come for next season. I think that Tolver will emerge as the #2/3 guy for the Phins within 2 seasons. Unless the Phins bring in a ringer and if the Phins do that who cares. He has the ability to make the the big play. I like the pick in the 5th round more than any other pick by the Phins this season.

2003 Projection: 22 Snags / 321 Yards / 14.6 AVG. / 62 L / 1 TD

All in all the Phins passing game will be much improved from the last season. It could be Jay or Brian both will have enough options to help Ricky keep the D from stacking the line. I do not see McKnight a Phin after the season. Derrius will be around as OG's replacement a 1st down catching machine. Things are looking good for the passing game this year. They still have Ricky, Travis and Rob out of the backfield to contend with. The Phins O-line should be fine. They now have some depth to work with. But the depth will not be ready until mid season so keep your fingers crossed.

The Phins still need to upgrade the core in the next draft.

Keepers: C.C., Thompson, Tolver, Baker....(Newsome...maybe)
Cutem Loose: Simmons, Mcknight, ??????

Possible Pickups (June 1st & FA)
M. Robinson: Injuries a concern. If he signs and is healthy good bye McKnight.

M. Knight: Did a good job for the Raiders as a #4/5 guy. Does not mind to go over the middle and take a hit. Good size & speed.

W. Jackson: Miami looked at him back in May. But they never planned on signing him until after the draft. He may come on in June. He is the front runner in my eyes if the Phins sign a WR.

I think that the talent out there is not much better than what they have now. So I do not see them adding a #2 guy. They will go with what they have now. Perhaps they will make a trade to get the #2 guy. Chances are if they get a #2 it is from a trade. They seem ready to pull the trigger if a guy is on the block. They seem to have the best two trades in the NFL that past two seasons. Adding Junior & Williams were great moves. I think they will keep doing it until they get a bust. I like the WR's we have now. I do think that Brian is coming!!!

Rogers is not in the mix. He is a special teamer. He might see some slot action. But he is a decoy more than a WR.

What do you guys see the Phins doing with the WR's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the numbers are up there.....lol

I did not word it right. The Players Projections are MAXED. I do not see any of the WR getting more than the above numbers.

Jay/Brian will pass for 3,100 - 3,500 yards this season. (WR,TE & RB)

Last season the passing stats were down because of Jay's injury & Rays poor play.

There is no way for all of the WR's to hit the projections. Unless Ricky went down and they opened up a passing attack. Even then chances are it could not happen.

So let me say it one more time..lol

The above projections are maxed out. I do not see any WR getting more yards than the above stats. In other words C.C. might hit his. But Baker might only get 10 yards. Do you understand now. My bad.

LOL>......LOL>>..The Phins passing for 4,000 yards when they have Ricky shooting for 1,800+ again.lol....lol....

Back
Top Bottom