2005 Defensive Sets Front Seven | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2005 Defensive Sets Front Seven

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
The D is up in the air just as much as the O in my opinion. Here's how my D looks, tell me watch you guys think.

4-3 base

RDE- Taylor, Bowens, Roth
RDT- Chester, Romero(god I hope we get a better backup to Chester/Bowens for run stopping)
LDT- Bowens, Holliday
LDE- Carter, Holliday, Vickerson
LOLB- Seau, Spragan
MLB- Thomas, Pope
ROLB- Crowder, Moore

4-3 passing situations

RDE- Taylor, Roth
RDT- Holliday, Vickerson
LDT- Carter
LDE- Bowens, Roth
LOLB- Pope
MLB- Crowder
ROLB- Moore

3-4 look (even if we use only about 10-15% of the time, if that)

RDE- Holliday, Vickerson
NT- Chester, Bowens
LDE- Carter, Vickerson
LOLB- Seau
LILB- Crowder, Thomas
RILB- Spragan,
ROLB- Bowens(played there in college, and if Taylor doesn't want to play there than I guess Bowens ends up playing)

Give me your lineups.

I don't see Holliday ever moving to DT. Only one I see switching between DE and DT is Carter.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with you.

Good job

Depth..we have some depth this year!!
I cant help but get excited about this year..I know its just paper!! :eek:

Jaj said:
4-3 passing situations

RDE- Taylor, Roth
RDT- Holliday, Vickerson
LDT- Carter
LDE- Bowens, Roth
LOLB- Pope
MLB- Crowder
ROLB- Moore

I can't see Zach Thomas ever leaving the field. That's quite an inexperienced and vulnerable LB corps.

3-4 look (even if we use only about 10-15% of the time, if that)

RDE- Holliday, Vickerson
NT- Chester, Bowens
LDE- Carter, Vickerson
LOLB- Seau
LILB- Crowder, Thomas
RILB- Spragan,
ROLB- Bowens(played there in college, and if Taylor doesn't want to play there than I guess Bowens ends up playing)

Again, another player missing who I can't see ever leaving the field (Taylor).

Nublar7 said:
I don't see Holliday ever moving to DT. Only one I see switching between DE and DT is Carter.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with you.

They're both the same weight and Holliday played DT in college so why couldn't it happen?

Also, I think the personnel packages we see at the beginning of the season will differ from those we'll see at the end of the season (even before taking injury into consideration).

vickerson will be a DT...him at DE seems odd. i want to see roth play OLB in a 3-4, with crowder and thomas on the inside.

Not in a 3-4 it isn't odd. Thomas will get anhilated inside in a 3-4.

kastofsna120 said:
vickerson will be a DT...him at DE seems odd. i want to see roth play OLB in a 3-4, with crowder and thomas on the inside.

I agree. I think Vickerson is more of a penetration DT (as I understand it). So that fits with Saban's 4-3.

As for the 3-4 type alignments, I think the only sure thing is Zach playing inside and Eddie Moore playing outside. Spragan and Crowder are capable of playing inside and out. I think Junior's ability to diagnose and fill make him a good candidate inside in the 3-4. But does an interior of Junior and Zach might make us more vulnerable on passing downs??

One thing's for sure. We've got a lot of depth and versatility at LB now.

One more thing.....

I don't think Saban will use too many defensive alignments that force Zach and JT off the field. Saban's MO seems to be putting his players in position to excel. Especially your best players. JT and Zach are just that. Nick has publicly stated that a lot of what he's doing on defense is predicated around Jason Taylor.

Putting square pegs in round holes were Dave Wannstedt and Norv Turner's specialty. That's not what we do anymore.

Now if JT and/or Zach are out with injury, Nick will adjust his defenses to fit the remaining personnel. And if that means more 3-4 type alignments, that's what he'll do.

Then again Muck in Cleveland Saban said he wishes he got rid of some of the older veterans sooner. I see Saban trying to implement alot of his future schemes this year. If that means taking J.T. off the field sometimes I could definitely see it happening sometimes.

RDE - Jason Taylor
RDT - Kevin Carter
LDT - Larry Chester
LDE - Vonnie Holliday
WLB - Junior Seau
MLB - Zach Thomas
SLB - Channing Crowder
RCB - Sam Madison
LCB - Will Poole
FS - Travares Tillman
SS - Tebucky Jones

KB21 said:
RDE - Jason Taylor
RDT - Kevin Carter
LDT - Larry Chester
LDE - Vonnie Holliday
WLB - Junior Seau
MLB - Zach Thomas
SLB - Channing Crowder
RCB - Sam Madison
LCB - Will Poole
FS - Travares Tillman
SS - Tebucky Jones

You don't think Bell will start over Tillman?

KB21 said:
RDE - Jason Taylor
RDT - Kevin Carter
LDT - Larry Chester
LDE - Vonnie Holliday
WLB - Junior Seau
MLB - Zach Thomas
SLB - Channing Crowder
RCB - Sam Madison
LCB - Will Poole
FS - Travares Tillman
SS - Tebucky Jones

There we go, thats more like it....

backups i belive would be
DE- Roth,D Bowens
DT- T Bowens, Vickerson
WLB- Moore
MLB- Pope
SLB- Spargan
CB- Howard,Edwards

Dont know bout safteys

Personally I think that is way off. I dont think that we are going to see Holliday at tackle, maybe in certain looks but in our 4-3 it is more likely for carter to be playing the takle than Holliday. Also I think that they will have Roth playing opposite JT. I think that is the whole reason that we drafted him to have a duo of fast and disruptive D ends. It is more likely that Roth and Vonnie will be sharing time on the Right side. Also I really dont think that Zach is gonna come of the field that mcuh he is the leader and I think Saban is smart enough to see that. THere is all this talk of Saban liking big linebackers but Zach plays way bigger than he is.

Back
Top Bottom