2005 Dolphins Season Grade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2005 Dolphins Season Grade

Buddwalk

The Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Buddwalk 2005 Dolphins Season Grade (So Far)

Dolphins Cut

David Boston, WRReleasedJay Fiedler, QBReleased (NYJ)Morlon Greenwood, LBFree Agent (HOU)Sammy Knight, DBFree Agent (KC)Rob Konrad, FBReleasedJames Newson, WRReleasedBryan Robinson, DTFree Agent (CIN)

Dolphins Resigned

Travis Minor, RBOne yearEd Perry, TEFive yearsDario Romero, DTOne yearSage Rosenfels, QBOne year

Dolphin Additions

Kevin Carter, DLFree Agent (TEN)Damion Cook, TUnrestricted (CLE)Heath Evans, FBFree Agent (SEA)Gus Frerotte, QBFree Agent (MIN)Vonnie Holliday, DEFree Agent (KC)Stockar McDougle, TFree Agent (DET)Donnie Spragan, LBFree Agent (DEN)Travares Tillman, DBFree Agent (CAR) Tebucky Jones, DB Free Agent

Evaluation of our Additions

Kevin Carter : Guys been effective for years as a ram then moved on to tennessee and was still effective. Can play every position on the defensive line which makes him an amazing acquisition. Has never missed a game in his career...stats last two years are 55 tackles 11.5 sacks 2 FF!

Overall Grade - A-

Damion Cook : Unproven guy who started out his career with the bears...then moved on to the ravens for two short seasons and then one with the browns. Hes been a journey man and his part in the saban plan will be to add depth and maybe be groomed into a starter. One thing which may help him out though is he played Defensive and Offensive line through out his career so he may be a better player here than anywhere else!

Overall Grade - D+

Heath Evans : Decent fullback who really fits linehans offensive scheme well...hasnt caught many passes out of the backfield as a seahawk only 12 to be exact in 4 seasons. Mainly was a blocking guy but can catch the ball. Deceptively fast...Overall a better player than Rob Konrad!

Overall Grade - C

Gus Frerotte : Brought in here because he knows linehans system like the back of his hand, also has 12 years of experience which makes he a very plausable veteran qb. Made the probowl in his earliar days as a redskin. Overall a pretty good pick up!

Overall Grade - C+

Vonnie Holliday : Started his career off pretty strong in Green Bay looking like a dominant DE for a couple years but couldnt really stay healthy...same case in kc. Entering his 8th season he has 37.5 sacks which averages out a little over 5 sacks a season which isnt really bad but its not ground breaking. Could be dominant on the opposite side of JT...Has a Strong Tendency to finish the season stronger than the beginning. Pretty Good Pickup as well!

Overall Grade - B-

Stockar Mcdougle : Big Tackle prospect who came out of Oklahoma. Has been pretty good through out his career...had injury problems in the earliar part of his career but hasnt missed a game in two years and was a big part of the reason why in 2003 Joey Harrington only got sacked 9 times. Great Pickup for our damaged offensive line!

Overall Grade - B

Donnie Spragen : Guy who filled in extremely well when john mobley left for the season in denver. Proved he was a sure fire tackler and was able to make plays across the field. Actually he also filled in two years ago when ian gold got hurt and proved those things that year. Will Start this year opposite Seau. Good Pickup for the Defense!

Overall Grade - B-

Travares Tillman : at 6''1 hes not a small safety and that could really play into his hands here in sabans defense. In his 5th season he has shown promise but hasnt been able really to push guys enough to the point where he can start. Has a great opportunity here with the other safety spot for now being up for grabs. Pickup who could pay off!

Overall Grade - C-

Tebucky Jones : Gonna be a starter here in miami at ss. At 6''2 220 lbs. hes the perfect mold of a saftey in which Nick Saban is searching for and i think he got his man with the new t-buck. Hasnt really made plays in his career but is a very good tackler and will upgrade this defense. Good Pickup!

Overall Grade - B-

2005 NFL Draft (predictions...eventually trade surtain for 2nd and 6th)

1. Ronnie Brown RB Auburn - Best Overall Back in the draft
2. David Bass OG/C Michigan - Best Offensive lineman out of michigan since Hutchinson
3. Courtney Roby WR Indiana - nephew of the great dolphin punter
4. David Greene QB Georgia - Stocks been rising ever since combine
5. Vince Carter C Oklahoma - Stock Slipped...but could be a steal
6. Eric Coleman DT Clemson - Sleeper Prospect
7. Terry Harmon DB Rice - Sleeper Prospect

Dolphins 2004 Season Record

4-12-0 275 PF 354 PA 3-5 HM 1-7 RD

Notable Stats

Chris Chambers - 69 catches 898 yards 7 tds
Randy Mcmichael - 73 catches 791 yards 4 tds
Zach Thomas - 145 tackles 2 sacks 7 TFL
Jason Taylor - 67 tackles 9.5 sacks 2 FF
Wes Welker - 61 kr 1415 yds 23.2 avg 1 TD , 43 pr 464 yds 10.8 avg 5 tackles on defense, 3 ko 52.7 yd average, 1-1 FG

2004 Dolphins MVP - Wes Welker [my opinion]

2005 Dolphins Season Record [Predictions from here on out]

8-8-0 340 PF 290 PA 5-3 HM 3-5 RD

Notable Stats

Gus Frerotte - 3,600 yds 60% 24 tds 16 ints
Ronnie Brown - 1213 yds 9 tds 54 catches 424 yds 3 tds
Chris Chambers - 88 catches 1181 yds 10 tds
Marty Booker - 80 catches 998 yds 6 tds
Randy Mcmichael - 68 catches 733 yds 4 tds
Kevin Carter - 44 tackles 10 sacks 4 FF
Jason Taylor - 60 tackles 14 sacks 6 FF
Vonnie Holliday - 48 tackles 7.5 sacks 1 FF
Zach Thomas - 160 tackles 2 sacks 2 ints 1 td
Donnie Spragan - 123 tackles 4 sacks 1 int
Sam Madison - 42 tackles 6 ints 2 td
Will Poole - 48 tackles 4 ints
Tebucky Jones - 86 tackles 2 ints
Tony Harmon - 68 tackles 3 ints 2 FF
Wes Welker - 50 kr 1300 yds 40 pr 600 yds 2 tds total
Olindo Mare - 25-28 FG

2005 Dolphins MVP - Chris Chambers

Overall 2005 Miami Dolphins Grade - B

Anytime you go from 4-12 and bring on a whole entire new system into the franchise and manage a .500 season than in my book its almost a superbowl year for you...

WOW!! Good post.

A bit tough on Tebucky and Gus with the old grades.

I dont know where Bua is going to get the playing time to get those kind of stats... he wont get them here.

How in the world would we start two SS?

No they aren't... The FS in our scheme has to be basically another corner this year. Bua can't move to FS. Put Bell there and it makes sense.

Buddwalk said:
bua moves to fs...its just a logic, in sabans defense there the same guy fs and ss
i liked your post but Bua at FS is up there with the mindless 'lets move Zach to Safety'.

Bua shouldnt even start at all.

I like him, but he is way, way overrated on this board. He is a little guy, wears his heart on his sleeve and can hit hard, but he is a career backup - just a special teams stud.

Great read and I agree with pretty much all of the grades you gave our additions. I really wish we could have held on to Boston though. That's the biggest disappointment for me thus far this offseason.

if frerotte really performs like you think, he should be more then a C+

Al13 said:
if frerotte really performs like you think, he should be more then a C+

i was talking bout there grade when we picked them up...where they stand now in there career not at the end of this up and coming season

bua was biased but if ya want i'll change to bell or Tony harmon

Back
Top Bottom