2005 Fins look like 1999 Raiders ?! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2005 Fins look like 1999 Raiders ?!

LFTzDAN48td

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Doing a little research on the Raiders and Rich Gannon. Since it seems like Gus is going to be our man to start the season, although no one knows for sure, but the scenerio reminded me of Gannon and the Raiders. In 1996 they were 7-9 , 1997 4-12, sound familiar:mad: , Gruden joined in 98 when they went 8-8, 99 Gannon came from KC at 33 years old ( ala Frerotte), went 8-8. Then in 99 they put it together for a very nice 4 year run. 12-4, 10-6,11-5, couple division titles, wild card, and a superbowl appearance. Gannons numbers pretty impressive at ages 33-38, 99 had 24td/14int/86 qb rating, 00 28/11/92, 01 27/9/95 02 26/10/97.

I know its hard to compare apples and oranges, but do you guys see some similiarities between the two situations?:confused: Any more knowledgable football minds out there remember how the raiders running game was pre-gannon, and after, defense? comments

I think you're reading too much into things, or trying to. Gruden is known for his work with quarterbacks, not to mention the raiders had a much younger Jerry Rice and Tim Brown (future hall of famers). Lincoln Kennedy was on that team as well, a true stud tackle. More than we can say about any of our linemen.

FEELEYgoinDEEP said:
Doing a little research on the Raiders and Rich Gannon. Since it seems like Gus is going to be our man to start the season, although no one knows for sure, but the scenerio reminded me of Gannon and the Raiders. In 1996 they were 7-9 , 1997 4-12, sound familiar:mad: , Gruden joined in 98 when they went 8-8, 99 Gannon came from KC at 33 years old ( ala Frerotte), went 8-8. Then in 99 they put it together for a very nice 4 year run. 12-4, 10-6,11-5, couple division titles, wild card, and a superbowl appearance. Gannons numbers pretty impressive at ages 33-38, 99 had 24td/14int/86 qb rating, 00 28/11/92, 01 27/9/95 02 26/10/97.

I know its hard to compare apples and oranges, but do you guys see some similiarities between the two situations?:confused: Any more knowledgable football minds out there remember how the raiders running game was pre-gannon, and after, defense? comments

looks like yer taking a beating here. Anyway, I don't know about the comparisons, but I believe pre-Gannon was when the Raiders had Napolean Kaufman as a running back. They also did running back by committee with success one year (late 90's?) so that might be a comparison - depth at running back - which the guys at camp are talking about. But that doesn't really mean we'll repeat the Raiders path. Heck, I'm hoping we don't follow their history...superbowl blowout...collapse the next year.........

Why does everyone think Gus will beat out Feeley :confused:

Sure Gus knows Linehans system, but who gives a......(you know what):mad:

xXxpHiN34 said:
Why does everyone think Gus will beat out Feeley :confused:

Sure Gus knows Linehans system, but who gives a......(you know what):mad:

I'm a Feeley homer, guess I was tired of Jay's noodle arm:fire: , or I just got spoiled with Dan the man:D and was looking for anything that would jump start the fire in me again, Feeley appeared to have the gun-slinger mentality that Danny had with a rocket arm, so I jumped on the band-wagon.

Quote from a movie, "its easy knowing the truth, its hard saying it out loud". As much as I wanted (want) AJ to be a stud, theres a few little things that bother me or make that voice appear. He seems to be a little on the dramatic side, seems to be permissive in interviews, thought his off-season regimine would of been in south fla, and then the mechanical flws, which could be possibily changed thru coaching. I even have a AJ jersey in my closet (wish heather was in it:lol: ) But Saban seems like a no nonsense, man's man, type of coach, who will play whomever gives the fish the best chance to win. And my opinion seems to be swaying to Frerotte. He just sort of fits the "NFL Quarterback" look, and talks the talk. With us drafting a QB in next years draft to groom. Either way, any qb running this team and giving us a chance win is all that we can ask for.

Good post. Not to spark another quarterback contraversy thread but I have always thought of AJ as the poor mans Rich Gannon

popularwar said:
Lincoln Kennedy was on that team as well, a true stud tackle. More than we can say about any of our linemen.

Lincoln Kennedy had more talent than our whole line combined. He was a HOFer for sure.

xXxpHiN34 said:
Why does everyone think Gus will beat out Feeley

because he was 3rd string in philly.
because he couldn't beat out fiedler from day 1.
because he has a knack for throwing tds to the wrong team.
because nick doesn't like him.

the only reason aj is still here is because we traded the 33rd pick in the draft for him. that will buy him 1 more season. after that, he'll be cut. i think it's obvious nick really didn't like spielstedt, and aj feeley was one of the main reasons. nick, after watching film and working with aj in person, was probably thinking to himself "man, this rick guy is a f***ing idiot"

popularwar said:
I think you're reading too much into things, or trying to. Gruden is known for his work with quarterbacks, not to mention the raiders had a much younger Jerry Rice and Tim Brown (future hall of famers). Lincoln Kennedy was on that team as well, a true stud tackle. More than we can say about any of our linemen.

Yes, but the Raiders never had a true stud RB and their defense wasn't nearly as good as ours.

Back
Top Bottom