2005 Notes and Quotes... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2005 Notes and Quotes...

thedayafter

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
  • Saban: "We are not looking for sheep, we are looking for wolvesâ€Â
  • Saban on the media: “You ask me all these hypothetical questions and they are insignificant to me for what we are trying to accomplish. I am not mad at anybody. It is called intense.â€Â
  • “First-year coach Nick Saban has his hands full turning this team around. If Miami wins six games, the new coach will have done a magnificent jobâ€Â. Prisco
  • “A few general managers we know studied the Dolphins roster and cap situation and came away with the idea that they were three years away from competing for a Super Bowlâ€Â. Prisco
  • Saban: “you are first taught what to do, then you are taught how to do it, and thirdly, you learn why it is important to do it that way. That part of it gets into the understanding and we try to get that with our playersâ€Â.
  • Saban: I am not going to give our players any excuses for not being successful, so we are going to take the guys that we have here and give each and every one of them to play as well as they can possibly play.
  • Saban writes that ''the process is much more important than the result.'' He believes he is establishing, in Miami, the ''protocol and procedure'' to win, whether it is reflected in this season's record or not. Herald
  • Saban: I’ve always used the term there are three i’s in winning: immediacy, which is a sense of urgency about what you do, how you do it, why it is important to do it that way; intensity, which is in ability to sustain that over time, in terms of practice, preparation and games; and intelligence, which means to play smart, in terms of your ability to execute.
  • Saban: "You know what mouse manure is? You know what elephant doo-doo is?" "That was mouse manure in my book.
  • Saban (POV) ``I made the point and you don't need to believe it. Nobody needs to believe it and I don't really care whether you believe it or not, but I know what I believe and I know when they do it, it'll work.''
  • Saban: "Make haste slowly, the right timing and the right degree, governed alike by vigilance and patience, so that nothing regrettable is done through haste, and nothing left undone through sloth."
  • Saban (On fans booing) ''I think it's the ultimate disrespect to players if they are booed,'' ``I told our players that. At the same time, I think we all have a responsibility and obligation, myself included, for whatever happens on that field, that we play so that doesn't happen.''
  • Saban: ( To reporters) 'So don't ask me about that stuff (penalties), because it's nothing but a freakin' excuse. And we've had enough of those around here.''
  • Saban: ``I think that's all [bull]! All right? It's [bull]! It's an excuse, and I'm not giving the players an excuse. You either have discipline or you don't. You either go out there and do it or you don't.''
  • Saban: "What you do speaks so loudly I can't hear what you say, so don't give me an excuse about it."
  • Saban: (On conservative play) Getting conservative is not going to help us, at all. That won’t come from me, I can promise you thatâ€Â.
  • Saban : “We live in results world. I know that and I understand that, but we don’t want to focus on results, we want to focus on the process of what it takes for everybody to contribute their best possible effortâ€Â
  • Saban: "All great things are accomplished in adverse circumstances,"
  • Parcells: "Don't tell me you're a good fur trapper if I look out there at your horse and there are no pelts."
  • Saban: (On rivalries) Do you believe in voodoo dolls? If I stick the doll, does it hurt? That is what all of that stuff means, you know.â€Â
  • "We had a marvelous potion we took after practice," '72 safety Dick Anderson said. "It was called beer... 16 ounces of cold beer."
  • Saban: (On expectations) That’s the thing about it guys, I don’t have expectations other than the standard of excellence that we want to aspire to get to, so that we can play winning football in every choice and decision that we make. It is not results-oriented, it is process-oriented.
  • Saban: “We need to focus on improving our team and get our team to be able to play like they need to play. All of that other stuff is clutter and poison and lethal, in terms of attitude, development and thinking about the right things to get ready to play a game.â€Â
  • Saban: ( On coaching) "It's all about teaching, and teaching is about inspiring learning. I think it's important that players feel like they're getting taught and not being evaluated all the time so that they have a chance to get better and improve."
  • Saban: “Either you execute and block the right guy or you don’t. What does that have to do with what the score is? If we run a play and we don’t block the right guy and get blown up in the backfield, you can be ahead 100-0 or behind 100-0, what is so hard to figure about that?
  • ''Wasn't pretty, watching him drop back,'' Marino’s dad says now. ``Your legs go, the party is over. Still today, he can't stand on his toes. It's still atrophied. They wanted to shorten it with another surgery, and he decided against it. He played the rest of his career that way. Danny played the last years on no legs. You could see it when he handed off.'' Herald
  • Saban noted that he wants to have a team in 2005 that overachieves its modest expectations and lays the groundwork for bigger and better things. Pas/ESPN
  • Shula: "I stopped by his office and we talked about a variety of things for almost an hour. He was very interested in what we had accomplished here in the past and the tradition of the Dolphin franchise. I think he will do a great job building a winning team again."

Back
Top Bottom