2010: Dolphins defense vs Jets defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2010: Dolphins defense vs Jets defense

phinatic0083

Scout Team
Reaction score
granted the dansby deal goes down, ( which i think it will as hes asking for a reasonable contract and he obviously wants to come to miami) with all the moves we've been making and possible future moves from draft and FA, who's D do you think will dominate?

In order to catch up to the Jets D we'd need to find a stud NT, Wake would have to pan out, Dansby would be a must, we'd have to find a good FS, another very good OLB, and our CB's will have to show a lot of improvement/consistency. So need to grab an ILB, OLB, FS, NT, and need at least 3 other players currently on the roster to step up. If all that happens then yes Miami's defense will be better than the Jets.

The Dolphins defense is quite a mess but on the bright side, head to head it's going to be easier to stop the Jets offense than the Dolphins offense! Every time the Dolphins NEEDED a score against the Jets they got one:tongue2:

All I will say about this is that as a Jets fan I was truly amazed at how much of a difference a defensive coordinator made for us this season. Sure, we added Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard, but the improvement in our defense was extremely drastic and I give most of the credit to the new coaching staff.

Whether Nolan can have the same kind of impact on the Fins is beyond me, but I hope he doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I will say about this is that as a Jets fan I was truly amazed at how much of a difference a defensive coordinator made for us this season. Sure, we added Bart Scott and Brian Leonhard, but the improvement in our defense was extremely drastic and I give most of the credit to the new coaching staff.

Whether Nolan can have the same kind of impact on the Fins is beyond me, but I hope he doesn't.
Luckily for Dolphins fans, the Jets offensive line is getting somewhat old. Specifically Alan Faneca. Same with their defense, they have a couple of players that are getting long in the tooth. Kris Jenkins, Lito Shepherd, Shaun Ellis. I think Shaun Ellis is old, is he not?

Luckily for Dolphins fans, the Jets offensive line is getting somewhat old. Specifically Alan Faneca. Same with their defense, they have a couple of players that are getting long in the tooth. Kris Jenkins, Lito Shepherd, Shaun Ellis. I think Shaun Ellis is old, is he not?
D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold are the two top players on that offensive line and they were both drafted in '06 so they're really not that old.

In terms of their defense, I don't think they have that much more talented players than we do, it's just their scheme that made them so successful. I think both of our defenses will be very competitive this year as long as we add the right pieces. The addition of Mike Nolan is huge. He turned the Denver defense around and they really only had like 3 or 4 good players on that defense.

In order to catch up to the Jets D we'd need to find a stud NT, Wake would have to pan out, Dansby would be a must, we'd have to find a good FS, another very good OLB, and our CB's will have to show a lot of improvement/consistency. So need to grab an ILB, OLB, FS, NT, and need at least 3 other players currently on the roster to step up. If all that happens then yes Miami's defense will be better than the Jets.

It's REALLY soon to speculate. Who knows what moves the Fins and Jets make. While we add pieces to our defense, the Jets also might focus on loading up on defense. They very well could believe they have the offensive pieces in place, with their young QB getting a full offseason under his belt, and the offensive line continuing to gel. They easily could go all defense, and look to add another stud CB opposite Revis. If they keep that Defense in tact, and add another edge rusher and another good CB, I find it hard for the Fins to have as good of a defense. Even if they do not make those additions, I still think we have quite a climb. :boohoo:

Granted, I do think we have many of the young pieces in place, but they need to develop, and we need to load up that defense with plenty more talent! :up:

Edit: I DO think the Nolan hiring is huge. And since the Jets do have some aging players, I think we definitely can surpass them defensively within a couple years, with some smart drafting and free agent signing!

While we all hope that Nolan, who's close to the root of that Ravens DC tree can work wonders, we can't expect him to be a magician turning water into wine. We've got some outstanding pieces in place including Starks, Merling, and Langford and high potential defenders in Wake, Smith and VD. Still Revis is in a class by himself, well, almost, and Jenkins, when healthy and conditioned, is a force to be reckoned with. Dansby would help, so would a McClain, but hell, I'd also consider trying Smith to FS if we thought we had a shot at Joe Haden, by all accounts a Revis clone. Additionally with a legit NT and coaching that either replaces players with those that better fit Nolan's optimal schemes, or transitionally, if he modifies some of his defenses to exploit existing players' strengths, we'd be well on our way to achieving Defensive parity on a position to position basis.

I think our defense, with the right personnel added during FA and the draft, could be a good upcoming defense in the league. i do not expect results by next season though, i think it will take a year or 2. i do however, think our offense is on verge of becoming one of the most dominant, atleast in the AFC. i think we run as well if not better, and pass the ball better then the jets, with more potential as well. i think we have a better special teams then the jets, i also think our defense is much better against the run when healthy. i think that is why we beat the jets twice this year. however, i do think next season the gap between us will be much smaller, i also think our defense will be more on par with theirs. all in all id say we are very similar teams. i just think we have a little more edge on offense, we can stretch the field, throw the ball, run up the gut, take it to the sidelines. i dont think the jets plays as well when they have to spread their D out. they need to blitz, great blitz packages. man coverage, and their dbacks hold the fort down back there. were kind of the kryptonite for their defense in a way.

Right now, the Jets have a better defense. No question about it. Sorry, can't be a homer! ;)

I think Nolan is a better DC than than Ryan. They're both in the top 5. But, we'll need to add a few key pieces to be as good as the Jets on D (you're talking about one of the two or three best D's in the league last season). It's definitely not impossible, but it's going to take a lot.

I expect the Jets to be a top 5 D again...especially since they get Jenkins back. Our on the other hand, we'd be lucky to go from 22 to top 10.

Remember, our D played most of the year w/o our stud NT. That's how great of job rex did this year w/ this group. We have tons of talent but removing jenkins would be a killer for most teams and our D recovered. I was very surprised our D played so well after losing Jenkins.

I expect in year 2 w/ the players knowing the system and hopefully w/ some upgrading at the corner opposite Revis plus jenkins back healthy that our D will be alot better.

Nolan is a really good DC and your D will be much improved, I don't know if your D can be as good as ours but you'll be good. I truly believe our teams will be really good in the coming years. People thought last year was intense btw our teams- they haven't seen anything yet.

Back
Top Bottom