2010 Draft Spotlight: Taylor Mays - USC | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2010 Draft Spotlight: Taylor Mays - USC

Conuficus

The look on Tom Brady's face: Pricless
Reaction score
http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/02/14/2010-spotlight-s-taylor-mays-usc/

As a junior at USC, Mays was tipped as a top five selection and even entering the 2009 campaign, he was still being lauded as a top 10 pick at worst. However, once evaluators are able to study him play by play, I think his stock will drop considerably. The questions everyone asks is what position is he going to play? Can he play free safety and operate as a traditional ball hawking centerfielder? Will he play closer to the line of scrimmage and support the run from the strong side? Or does he have the game to play outside linebacker in a 4-3? I hope to answer all of these questions. I just want to preface the following by saying that a number of people have talked about how Taylor’s role changed as a senior and he didn’t make as many plays because of it. Well that’s partly true in that he didn’t make many plays, but the reality is that he asked head coach Pete Carroll if he could in essence play as slightly less of a pure centre fielder and, in his words, ‘put him closer to the action’. However, whilst he ended up with more tackles – 88, beating his previous best by 22 – he failed to record a sack, a tackle for a loss, a forced fumble or a pass break up.

Enjoy.

Great write up. I think that he'll live or die at SS. Hopefully Al Davis will take him at #8 due to his measureables, more players left for us.

Great write up. I think that he'll live or die at SS. Hopefully Al Davis will take him at #8 due to his measureables, more players left for us.

Thanks Jim, nice to see you again.

I think he'd succeed the most as a 4-3 OLB. Not a compliment or vote of confidence, but given his limitations, it seems to be the case. Nice write up.

Very good job as always. It makes you wonder, though, if his flaws are this evident, why even seasoned draft people were tooting his horn so loudly last year. Surely anyone who looked at USC defensive tape has been seeing this for four years.

He has great range, no question about it. But the problem is that when Mays IS indeed in range he doesn't make much of it. He's not a playmaker. Kind of reminds me of Bob Sanders... Except he's much more durable and probably just about as overrated as Sanders as well.

I don't want this guy anywhere near the Dolphins. Roy Williams all over again.

the closest I want him to a phins uni is 42nd pick. that way another one falls to us at 43.

I just have this hunch we are staying put where we are at with the safety positions.

Back
Top Bottom