2010 NFL Draft preview: Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2010 NFL Draft preview: Miami Dolphins

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score
This was one of the most difficult picks in this year's mock draft. Offense or defense? The Miami Dolphins desperately need another pass rusher on the defensive side of the ball. Linebacker Joey Porter was cut by the team this off-season, and veteran defensive end Jason Taylor isn't getting any younger (he'll be 36 on September 1st).
Over on the offensive side of the ball, the passing attack has been searching for a number one wide receiver. Former first round pick Ted Ginn Jr. hasn't panned out to be the first option threat the fish hoped he would be and Miami will more than likely be breaking in a new quarterback in the next year or so. Chad Pennington resigned for a one year deal, meaning the team will probably be looking towards Chad Henne to take over the reigns in the near future. Translation: the dolphins want to make their receiving corps as strong as possible so that Henne's transition from back-up to NFL starting quarterback is as seamless as possible.
This is why I could see Miami drafting Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant. Bryant is a big, strong, physical receiver that has all the tools to be a number one guy on an NFL roster. The one thing working against Bryant is people are questioning his maturity and decision making, which may cause him to fall in the draft. Bryant is without question the most gifted receiver in this draft, the question is whether or not the Bryant will still be available at number 12, and if he is, whether or not the Dolphins want to draft a receiver.
With Bill Parcells at the helm, I leaned toward drafting defense. My thought was that Parcells probably thinks that with a solid run game and a good defense, the Dolphins can survive with a bunch of number two wide receivers for a year or two. And who knows, maybe he'll get lucky and find a receiver in the later rounds that will become a number one guy, a la Marques Colston.
Which brings us to Jason Pierre-Paul. Pierre-Paul is a bit of a risk himself. He had only one impactful year while in college, and some have questioned both his interest and commitment to the game. What Pierre-Paul does have going for him is, well, everything else. He's a physical specimen (6-6, 265), an athletic freak (4.64, 40), and has room on his frame to add muscle and get bigger. Pierre-Paul appears as though he's very versatile as well. He's projected to be able to play defensive end in the 4-3 or an outside linebacker in the 3-4, so the scheme he goes to shouldn't matter too much.
Overall, I think that Parcells will want to address a pressing need along his defensive front, rather than go with the flashy offensive player.
http://www.kspr.com/sports/89939652.html

in my eyes its Graham, Thomas or Bryant. I would rather wait on WR then go after Bryant

Back
Top Bottom