2012 QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2012 QB's

j-off-her-doll

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Well, that was a close one.

For a second there, I was resigned to the fact that we'd be saddles with Kyle Orton and that he might do well enough to keep Sparano and Ireland around for another season. While the majority of FH appears to be dismayed by our inability to close the deal on Orton, I believe that most of the regulars from the Draft Forum are relieved. It's going to be difficult for us to lose enough games to land a top-10 pick. Our D should put us in the 11-15 range, but you never know.

Anyway, I figured I'd create this thread dedicated to 2012 QB prospects with specific attention to where you believe they'll be drafted (Luck and Barkley likely won't fall out of the top 5 for example).

As I see it, there are three sure-fire 1st RD QB's (with a group of others who can play their way into the 1st RD):

Top 5:

Luck
Barkley

11-20 range:

Landry Jones

. . .

Then you have a group of players like Tannehill, Murray, Lindley, etc.

How do you like these players - and feel free to add to the list - and where do you see them going? This thread is probably more than a little premature, but I'm as interested in this development as I am the Dolphins 2011 season. There's hope in one.

Brandon Weeden - I think he may be ideal for the Fins considering they could want a more mature QB who can start immediately, especially if they are returning a top defense.
Nick Foles

Hopefully the kid from Georgia shocks everybody and enters.

Brandon Weeden - I think he may be ideal for the Fins considering they could want a more mature QB who can start immediately, especially if they are returning a top defense.
Nick Foles

Hopefully the kid from Georgia shocks everybody and enters.

Yeah, Aaron Murray is my favorite - at the moment - of the QB's likely to be available when we draft (9-15 range).

I wouldn't draft Weeden in the 1st.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

But, in the 2nd or 3rd? I think you'd have to give him a hard look.

I'm a big fan of Landry Jones. I know a lot of people don't really like that Oklahoma offense and he has a ton of weapons but Sam Bradford seems to have adjusted well to the NFL game. Who do you think Landry compares to in the NFL?

Yea Weeden in the first would be the result of an incredible season. But honestly if the QB situation criples like some people feel it may this year . . . I would consider drafting 2 guys. Maybe a Landry Jones and then a Brandon Weeden in the 2nd or 3rd. Doesn't hurt to have solid backups . . . and at this point we need to finally double up on the position that is hurting us the most.

Landry Jones isn't quite the pro prospect Bradford was, but it's probably closer than I think. Barkley and Luck are in their own tier in terms of projecting them to the NFL in my opinion.... you can probably lump several of these other prospects in that next tier, specifically just Ryan Lindley and Landry Jones as far as I'm concerned.

Luck and Barkley are both 'pristine' in the character category... literally flawless. High character, extremely intelligent, hard working kids that have leadership qualities. But they also have a leg up on Landry Jones because they both play in pro style offenses where they've had the intracacies and fundamentals of playing the position at the NFL level ingrained. Physically, Barkley actually appears slightly superior to Luck on film.... he's got a little bigger arm than Andrew has, with essentially the same mobility.... Luck is slightly more accurate (but he's also been redshirted... Barkley hasn't)

I've got some game tape on all these kids that I'll put in here and you can all analyze and compare the quarterbacks...

It's going to be interesting to see if Weeden can maintain the same type production without Dana Holgorsen... I actually look for Geno Smith to put up Brandon Weeden type numbers in Dana Holgorsen's offense this year... Geno Smith was already one of my favorite underclassmen quarterbacks... very underrated kid.

Ryan Tannehill is a HUGE wildcard in all this... he could fall completely off the radar all together, or cement himself as potentially a 1st round pick.. If I had to bet, I'd bet on the latter. The kid is a flat out stud... the more I break him down and critic him the better he looks... that's rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regard to Jones, his game lacks the crispness of Bradford's. Jones is a big question mark for me heading into the season. He has the physical tools. I don't know that he has the mental tools.

Landry Jones isn't quite the pro prospect Bradford was, but it's probably closer than I think. Barkley and Luck are in their own tier in terms of projecting them to the NFL in my opinion.... you can probably lump several of these other prospects in that next tier, specifically just Ryan Lindley and Landry Jones as far as I'm concerned.

Luck and Barkley are both 'pristine' in the character category... literally flawless. High character, extremely intelligent, hard working kids that have leadership qualities. But they also have a leg up on Landry Jones because they both play in pro style offenses where they've had the intracacies and fundamentals of playing the position at the NFL level ingrained. Physically, Barkley actually appears slightly superior to Luck on film.... he's got a little bigger arm than Andrew has, with essentially the same mobility.... Luck is slightly more accurate (but he's also been redshirted... Barkley hasn't)

I've got some game tape on all these kids that I'll put in here and you can all analyze and compare the quarterbacks...

Could just be me, but when I watched them play, I gave Barkley the nod in terms of arm strength and the deep ball in general, but Luck appeared to be noticeably more mobile. Do you think there's a decent chance of A. Murray coming out? Or do you think he'll see what he's up against and realize that he has a decent shot of going top-10 the next season? I would guess some of it would have to do with the HC situation in Georgia. I've heard him be very explicit in his supprot for the HC, and I heard him say that he hopes he's there as long as he plays at the university.

Could just be me, but when I watched them play, I gave Barkley the nod in terms of arm strength and the deep ball in general, but Luck appeared to be noticeably more mobile. Do you think there's a decent chance of A. Murray coming out? Or do you think he'll see what he's up against and realize that he has a decent shot of going top-10 the next season? I would guess some of it would have to do with the HC situation in Georgia. I've heard him be very explicit in his supprot for the HC, and I heard him say that he hopes he's there as long as he plays at the university.

I agree that the difference in mobility between the two is "noticeable" if you're really looking to find a difference... good word choice.

However, Luck is probably one of the most "mobile" pure pocket passers I've seen in college football... and Barkley isn't *that* much less mobile...

I don't think Aaron Murray comes out, I think it has a 25% chance of happening regardless of what happens with Mark Richt. If UGA lets Richt go and goes after Kirby Smart again (succesfully this time), Murray will still have 2 years for UGA to get it done under Smart... not to mention he'll have Isaiah Crowell to hand it off to for as long as Murray is there. Georgia is going to have the talent to compete for SEC titles a long as Murray is there... they're only going to get better on defense as they get more familiar running the 3-4 under Todd Grantham.

As good of a prospect as Murray might be, the reality is he's still only a 6' quarterback... I don't think he has very much to gain at all by coming out early.

I agree that the difference in mobility between the two is "noticeable" if you're really looking to find a difference... good word choice.

However, Luck is probably one of the most "mobile" pure pocket passers I've seen in college football... and Barkley isn't *that* much less mobile...

I don't think Aaron Murray comes out, I think it has a 25% chance of happening regardless of what happens with Mark Richt. If UGA lets Richt go and goes after Kirby Smart again (succesfully this time), Murray will still have 2 years for UGA to get it done under Smart... not to mention he'll have Isaiah Crowell to hand it off to for as long as Murray is there. Georgia is going to have the talent to compete for SEC titles a long as Murray is there... they're only going to get better on defense as they get more familiar running the 3-4 under Todd Grantham.

As good of a prospect as Murray might be, the reality is he's still only a 6' quarterback... I don't think he has very much to gain at all by coming out early.

I agree with both your points on Luck and Barkley. I'd be floored to have either. I'm kind of hoping for a complete implosion so that we have at least a shot at either. Otherwise, Murray would be my favorite option, and I've been having the nagging feeling that you just confirmed - for lack of a better term. If Ireland were to survive this season - not that he should - I can see him liking Tannehill. All reports had Newton as the #1 player on Miami's board. If that's true, they should love Tannehill - assuming he performs. This QB class could be spectacular or seriously underwhelming, depending on who declares and who performs.

Here's the two best as far as I'm concerned....

Andrew Luck vs. USC:

[video=youtube;83FpD3WzBr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FpD3WzBr4[/video]

Andrew Luck vs. Cal:

[video=youtube;bzYWb71dVqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzYWb71dVqw[/video]

Andrew Luck vs. Arizona:

[video=youtube;BbE1ODHM2xA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbE1ODHM2xA[/video]

Andrew Luck vs. Washington:

[video=youtube;UYRM31XJMew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYRM31XJMew&feature=related[/video]

Matt Barkley vs. Stanford:

[video=youtube;YSKhm73_Mys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKhm73_Mys[/video]

Matt Barkley vs. Virginia:

[video=youtube;aAdo1OyqiPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAdo1OyqiPc[/video]

Matt Barkley vs. UCLA:

[video=youtube;eBERk6iFyoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBERk6iFyoo[/video]

Ryan Lindley vs. TCU:

[video=youtube;g4j3qI_g_Xs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4j3qI_g_Xs[/video]

Ryan Lindley vs. Navy:

[video=youtube;0u_ucRw-rZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u_ucRw-rZQ[/video]

Back
Top Bottom