2013 offseason cap situation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2013 offseason cap situation

Fin_Frenzy_84

Starter
Reaction score
So I have heard we have 60 million to spend next year... After resigning Jake long who obviously will be a ton of money and are other free agents how much do you guys think we should have?

Unless Jake is willing to take a pay cut he can walk. Locking up a ton of money in a LT is something losing franchises do. Jakes play is not worth what he makes

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Dolphins/dolphins2013.php

Dolphins at about $90 mil for 2013 as it stands. Their 2013 FAs include Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Randy Starks, Hartline, Fassano, Fields, Sean Smith, and a few others you guys would be more aware of.

Anyone who thinks they can ignore the LT position, needs to rethink. Bush might be gone, but it all depends on how DT plays this year. Still, I doubt Dolphins bring back Bush. Starks should be resigned. Hartline was rumored to be in contract extension talks. Fassano and Fields should be resigned. Sean Smith is a tricky situation. He's not great, but with Davis gone, Dolphins may lean on signing him back to the team or a decent deal.

Long will require about $12 a year. Starks might get about $5mil if not more. Hartline should be pretty cheap, $2.5mil. Fassano should be good value too, probably around $3 mil. Fields might demand a big contract for a punter and my guess would be $3.5mil (lechler got 4 years 16mil). Sean Smith should be a value pickup as well. All this will add up to about $25-30 mil. Dolphins need another $8mil to sign their rookies AND in-season reserve.

I don't think Dolphins will have much cap space in 2013, just enough to sign their major FAs, or replace them with equivalent value.

The situation with the Jets will be VERY similar.

Dolphins at about $90 mil for 2013 as it stands. Their 2013 FAs include Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Randy Starks, Hartline, Fassano, Fields, Sean Smith, and a few others you guys would be more aware of.

Anyone who thinks they can ignore the LT position, needs to rethink. Bush might be gone, but it all depends on how DT plays this year. Still, I doubt Dolphins bring back Bush. Starks should be resigned. Hartline was rumored to be in contract extension talks. Fassano and Fields should be resigned. Sean Smith is a tricky situation. He's not great, but with Davis gone, Dolphins may lean on signing him back to the team or a decent deal.

Long will require about $12 a year. Starks might get about $5mil if not more. Hartline should be pretty cheap, $2.5mil. Fassano should be good value too, probably around $3 mil. Fields might demand a big contract for a punter and my guess would be $3.5mil (lechler got 4 years 16mil). Sean Smith should be a value pickup as well. All this will add up to about $25-30 mil. Dolphins need another $8mil to sign their rookies AND in-season reserve.

I don't think Dolphins will have much cap space in 2013, just enough to sign their major FAs, or replace them with equivalent value.

Well said...especially for a jets fan ;)

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Dolphins/dolphins2013.php

Why is Jake Long on the 2013 list you linked to?

Wow Richard Marshall is like one of the most expesnsive dolphins and Patterson is not far behind ugh.

JETSJETSJETS said:

Only in Jets fan dream land are they similar.

Why is Jake Long on the 2013 list JETSJETSJETS linked to?

Because he has no clue as to where we are with our cap!

Stephen a smith just said on espn first take, that schefter told him jets are $36million over the cap.

And that good luck signing a top echelon general manager who doesnt get to bring in his own head coach.

Basically just ran the jets into the ground for a good 8 minutes or so.

Stephen a smith just said on espn first take, that schefter told him jets are $36million over the cap.

And that good luck signing a top echelon general manager who doesnt get to bring in his own head coach.

Basically just ran the jets into the ground for a good 8 minutes or so.

The Jets ran themselves into the ground, Steven A. Smith just put some adjectives around it.

here is a link to a more accurate picture of our cap situation

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...-agents-draft-picks-and-salary-cap-situation/

A couple things come to mind.

6 of our top 7 paid players are on defense and total $37M

The top 6 offensive players total $17M

Our top paid offensive player is Richie Incognito, Jeeesh!

It is obvious that we need to spend most of that money on playmakers that can help us score points.

I think the defense did pretty well last year and it shouldn't be much different next year with most everyone that is important back.

Back
Top Bottom