2015 Pro Days | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2015 Pro Days

Florida Pro Day
There's a huge crowd in Gainesville for Florida pro day. The two headliners, Dante Fowler Jr. and D.J. Humphries, are standing on their Combine numbers and just participating in position drills.

Offensive line coaches from the Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles, Chicago Bears and Tennessee Titans are on hand.

In the early going, I'm told both Humphries and Max Garcia have looked terrific in position drills. Garcia, who did not run the 40 at the Combine due to a hamstring injury, chose not to run today as a precaution.

Humphries met with the Miami Dolphins and New Orleans Saints yesterday, while Garcia has had individual meetings with the Chicago Bears, Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Bucs over the course of the past two days.
http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

Only 2 pro days left and some individual workouts.

Humphries impresses me hugely. He's only just 21 and he's only going to get better and better.

I actually like Max Garcia a lot in the Senior Bowl drills and game, as well as his film... showed lots of positives. could be a very late round get... .would he be able to fit at OG??? not sure... thoughts?

Not the athlete for us. Seems like a fit in a power scheme to me but I think he can play Guard in a power scheme as long as they don't ask him to pull.

Florida Pro Day (con't)
The reviews on Dante Fowler have been positive, as he looked fluid and moved well during position drills. It was a much better performance today than the Combine, which was below par.

Fowler will be meeting with the Jacksonville Jaguars tonight, Tennessee Titans tomorrow and the Atlanta Falcons this weekend.

I'm also told the Tampa Bay Bucs have shown a lot of interest in defensive tackle Leon Orr and are expected to schedule a work out and/or visit with him.

Offensive lineman Chaz Green was disappointing. I'm told he was poorly conditioned and looked gassed early on. At points, coaches pulled him from the workout. On his behalf, I'm told it was a very hot day and a long workout in which many of the 10 offensive line coaches on hand stepped in and ran their own drills.

Add the St. Louis Rams to the teams that had offensive line coaches on hand today.

I failed to mention that despite a pectoral strain, Max Garcia completed 30 reps on the bench, which impressed scouts. Garcia did the majority of position drills at center and just a few snaps at guard and was impressive in all of them. Some now grade him as the No. 2 center in the draft after Hroniss Grasu of Oregon.

Accolades continue for D.J. Humphries, who oozed athleticism in position drills. He displayed excellent feet, balance and fluid hips. The feeling leaving the workout is Humphries has solidified himself as a bottom of Round 1 selection.

As described to me, tackle Trenton Brown is all "limbs and legs" but little in the way of balance or coordinated movement. His massive frame will likely push him into the last round of the draft.

Despite his seemingly poor conditioning, there was a lot of intrigue over Chaz Green. I'm told several offensive line coaches took him to the side and worked him one-on-one.

Additional sources confirmed to top notch performance of Dante Fowler Jr. He looked especially good dropping into coverage, then moving in space. He easily covered a lot of area on the field, quickly moving in reverse as well as laterally.

More on Chaz Green.

As stated earlier, there's a bunch of intrigue over Green and it's understandable. When healthy and hitting on all cylinders, his game film is top notch. I've always felt had Green been able to stay on the field and play to his level of ability, he was top-100 material.

That being the case, he received a ton of interest over the past two days.

Yesterday, Green met individually with the Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Bucs, San Diego Chargers and Carolina Panthers. Today, he's meeting with the Philadelphia Eagles and Houston Texans.

Green's visit list in the next week included official trips to the Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Bucs.

In a positive sign, linebacker Neiron Ball timed 4.52 to 4.59 seconds in the 40. Considering he's not even six months removed from micro-fracture surgery, that's a significant accomplishment for Ball, who'll return to Indianapolis for the combine medical recheck at the middle of this month.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#J1VoFsgQp7CigmZW.99

Representatives from 32 NFL teams -- including Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert, Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley, and offensive line coaches from nine teams -- were present for Florida's pro day on Tuesday

There were 22 Gators players, plus two more from Jacksonville University, who worked out outdoors on grass inside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Outside linebacker Neiron Ball (6-foot-2 3/4, 236 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 and 4.62 seconds. He had a 34 1/2-inch vertical jump. Ball is coming off microfracture surgery that took place in mid November. He really looked good in the positional drills. Ball was smooth and fast, and he has good hips so he can turn and run with no problem at all.

Offensive guard Trenton Brown (6-8 5/8, 353) had a 28-inch vertical jump and 8-foot-10 broad jump. Brown has 35 1/2-inch arms. He had a really good pro-day workout in front of those nine NFL offensive line coaches present in Gainesville. Brown moves well for a guy his size (he ran a 5.29-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine). Brown really helped his draft status.

Punter Kyle Christy (6-2 5/8, 202) kicked the ball well at the pro day.

Outside linebacker Dante Fowler, Jr. (6-3, 264) had a great workout. Linebackers coaches for the Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles put Fowler through his positional workout, in which he showed suddenness in all of his movements. Fowler definitely solidified his place as a top-five selection in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Center Max Garcia (6-4 3/4, 309) ran the 20-yard short shuttle in 5.13 seconds and the three-cone drill in 8.18 seconds. He had a 28-inch vertical jump and 8-foot-7 broad jump. Garcia is another offensive line prospect from Florida with real good punch.

Offensive tackle D.J. Humphries (6-5 1/4, 307) had a good workout. He's very athletic and held his weight of 307 pounds real well.

Running back Matt Jones (6-2 1/4, 235) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 and 4.55 seconds. Jones is a hard runner who catches the ball well coming out of the backfield.

Defensive tackle Leon Orr (6-5, 318) ran the 40 in 5.15 and 5.16 seconds. Orr -- who has 34-inch arms -- was very light on his feet and moves around really well.

Wide receiver Andre Debose (6-0, 190) ran the 40 in 4.44 and 4.4 seconds. He had a 37 1/2-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-3 broad jump. Debose did the 20-yard short shuttle in 4.09 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.93 seconds. He also performed 12 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Debose did not do a positional workout. Debose is a potential free-agent pickup for a team following the conclusion of the 2015 NFL Draft.

Wide receiver Quinton Dunbar (6-1 7/8, 199) ran the 40 in 4.47 and 4.49 seconds. He had a 32-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-10 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.19 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.1 seconds. He also had seven strength lifts.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...r-trenton-brown-stand-out-at-floridas-pro-day

Syracuse Pro Day
Early word from Syracuse has offensive lineman Sean Hickey completing 38 reps on the bench (improvement of three from the Combine) and touching 27 inches in the vertical jump. Hickey, who had been suffering with a viral infection up until two days ago, is expected to complete the full workout.

There was an erroneous report on the Web that Hickey had completed 42 reps during his pro day a week ago. He did complete 42 reps and it's been recorded on video, but it was in preparation for today's pro day. Despite this, the message is clear; Hickey's upper body strength compares with any of the offensive linemen in this year's draft.

Safety Durell Eskridge, who ran a hand-timed best of 4.56 at the Combine and touched just 31 inches in the vertical jump, is expected to only participate in position drills today

The numbers for offensive tackle Sean Hickey read 40 times in the high 5.1s (5.18 seconds) to the low 5.2s (5.22 seconds), a short shuttle of 4.69 seconds and 3-cone drill of 7.68 seconds. Hickey did some snapping at center during position drills but mostly spent his time at guard. The feeling leaving the workout is Hickey projects to guard on Sunday, but will get consideration at right tackle.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#O1i7kWkb6A5UK9Tl.99

Florida Atlantic Pro Day
General managers Doug Whaley of the Buffalo Bills and Steve Keim of the Arizona Cardinals were on hand for the Florida Atlantic pro day. The highlight were the defensive backs, who were put through their workout by the Indianapolis Colts.

Cornerback D'Joun Smith ran much faster today than he did in Indianapolis, timing 4.34 in the 40, and improvement of .05 seconds from his best stopwatch time at the Combine. He also improved his bench press by three reps, completing 21 this go-around.

Safety Damian Parms, who was not at the Combine, timed 4.59 and also completed 21 reps on the bench.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#DtdlCpcrMrPzwTlA.99

D'Joun Smith sure as heck doesn't play that fast on tape.

Hobart - Ali Marpet news
Ali Marpet had a "private" workout prior to the Syracuse pro-day that was attended by the New England Patriots, New York Jets, Detroit Lions, Washington Redskins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tennessee Titans, Baltimore Ravens and San Fransisco 49ers.

Marpet's schedule is booked solid as with 22 days left before the 2015 NFL Draft, he has nine visits and 15 private workouts on his schedule. I've been told many of those workouts will take place on the weekend.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#DtdlCpcrMrPzwTlA.99

Way back on page 15 I posted about a Pittsburgh State WR named Gavin Lutman who worked out at Kansas' Pro Day.

But the big story at the Kansas pro-day is the performance of a receiver from Pittsburg State.

Gavin Lutman was a bit of an unknown to scouts as he was unable to attend junior timing day a year ago while Pittsburg State figured out his eligibility. On the field in 2014, Lutman produced 70 receptions for 1,196 yards and 13 scores.

At today's workout, Lutman turned heads with his testing numbers. His measurements were 6-3, 214 pounds, and he then went on to touch 36 inches in the vertical jump, 10-5 in the broad jump and time 4.46 seconds in the 40. Lutman's 3-cone drill was a swift 6.65 seconds and, he was timed at 4.09 seconds in the short shuttle.

Scouts were evidently beside themselves as to not even ranking Lutman through the season. Compared to Jon Brown, the former Pittsburg State star coming off to a tremendous rookie campaign in the NFL, scouts say Lutman, though slower, has a size advantage and is more natural catching at the ball.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#EmLdFioqUPMCKsHs.99

There was also a 6' 2" 179 lbs CB named De'Vante Bausby who ran a wind aided 4.22 40 but I have no other information on him. I bring up Lutman because it looks like the Packers are showing interest. Apparently this kid is a poor mans Jordy Nelson...Here's a scouting report from a Kansas City fan.

6'3" 214 lbs

Stats: 70 catches 1,196 yards and 13 scores

Now it's time for my favorite prospect of the year. This guy has been getting no attention and I have kept this one in my back pocket for quite awhile until I saw what he was going to run at the Kansas pro day, which caught a lot of attention from pro scouts. I told Joel earlier on Twitter that I have watched tape on a guy that I can't believe Arrowhead Pride hasn't been talking about. Lutman is that guy.

Remember a guy by the name of Jeff Janis, who had a lot of love from fans last year? Well, Lutman is very similar to Janis. Lutman had 36" in the vertical jump, 10'5 in the broad jump and time 4.46 seconds in the 40. Lutman's 3-cone drill was 6.65 seconds and, he was timed at 4.09 seconds in the short shuttle.`1

Strengths: Lutman has some of the best body control that I have seen in a D2 prospect since Jake Soy. What he has that Soy didn't is top level athleticism. This guy makes spectacular catches and has break away speed once he has the ball in his hands. He uses his body well to shield defenders and uses his hands well. He is strong and had no problem against the press at the D2 level.

Weakness: Lutman needs to work on route running. He looks to round off routes and depends too much on his superior athleticism. It will be interesting to see how he handles the press at the NFL level. This will make or break him.

His cut ups are on HUDL http://www.hudl.com/athlete/578512/highlights

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline
20 on hand for David Cobb/RB/Minnesota workout. 4.58s/4.65s in the forty. Feeling is Cobb a 4th rnd pick that will produce as a rookie

Pretty much what I predicted given his other explosive numbers (vert., broad jump, etc.). The hammy is healed now. This guy would be such a good compliment to Miller.

I believe there are a few more individual workouts left from guys who were injured. Last one may be April 20th and then that's it till the draft.

Back
Top Bottom