2016 "The Dolphins should draft..." megathread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2016 "The Dolphins should draft..." megathread

this team is so going corner at 13...this is the time of the process when teams show their intentions as we get closer they will invite/meet with other positions to draw people off the scent

great quick acceleration to close but most comfortable in off man and zone where the click and close shows itself

We can only hope!

What do you think of Apple? That is a name I keep hearing a lot

I keep hearing this kid takes plays off.....here is the view of a noted scout who scouted this player...........

I believe you are the first person to mention sack numbers, so quite the assumption there. Though, that does remind me of the exact same stuff I read about Vernon, but with worse run stopping ability and questions about his commitment.

But, since you mention it, yes, it would be nice if he could pull some of those plays, just as it would have been nice if Vernon could have. I know, I know, sacks are sooooo overrated (usually when you have guys who don't get them), but still would be nice, given that negative yards are typically better than incomplete passes. It would also be nice if he didn't disappear during games...again, like Vernon.

Would I take a shot at him at 13? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. At least he'd be cheaper than Vernon, and maybe we'd get lucky and he'd show up sometime before the last half of his contract season? Players with big question marks are exactly what you can expect at that spot.

I believe Vernon played the position of edge rusher...versus Nkemdiche who played DT...I think we all can agree that DT's won't post the sacks of edge rushers.

Does anybody expect Suh to have the sack totals of Cameron Wake?

The point being here I think Nkemdiche would be interesting as a base end kicking to DT on passing downs.

This game is truly won on the line of scrimmage and if you can put a line out there than can totally disrupt an offense...the quality of your corners is less important than if your line cannot apply pressure.

Mario Williams, Ndamakong Suh, Jordan Phillips and Robert Nkemdiche on base defense....Wake, Suh, Nkemdiche and Williams on passing downs?...I like it.

Give me Jackson or Fuller in round two at corner.

We can only hope!

What do you think of Apple? That is a name I keep hearing a lot

for me it's either him or Hargreaves...I would be happy with either

but they aren't sniffing all these top corners for nothing...you can guarantee that

and in either of those kids they will have themselves the "starter" they keep referencing with pick 13

this team is so going corner at 13...this is the time of the process when teams show their intentions as we get closer they will invite/meet with other positions to draw people off the scent

great quick acceleration to close but most comfortable in off man and zone where the click and close shows itself

I can only hope your correct...

And as far as Nkemdiche if there are questions why do this again at 13? We already hoping Phillips 'works out' who also has equations. We can surely find a player at 13 with less questions although we know nothing is a certainty in the draft.

Played mostly single high at Ohio State. Excelled in coverage. Guy is going to be a big time player.

I agree from what I've heard...just wondering if he could play the free safety we need...assuming this kid we signed is not the answer.

DOLPHINS VISIT

As the Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reported, University of Houston cornerback William Jackson is visiting the Dolphins today. Though some draft analysts have Jackson rated in the 20s, he certainly cannot by any means be ruled out as an option at 13.

Jackson had five interceptions last season.

Here was Pro Football Focus' assessment of him:

"William Jackson may be the best cornerback available in the 2016 NFL draft. With FSU star Jalen Ramsey more of a moveable chess piece on defense than he is a true cornerback, Jackson is at the top of the class and is likely to make a case for himself at the combine.

"At 6-1 and around 190 pounds, Jackson fits the size and shape profile that NFL teams covet, in a draft where more than one of the other top prospects — Mackenzie Alexander (Clemson) and Vernon Hargreaves (Florida) — do not.

"Jackson was PFF’s second-highest graded cornerback in coverage this season, and second only to Ramsey in overall grade when play against the run is thrown into the equation. He was targeted 93 times this past season, allowing only 46 catches (49.5 percent). He had five interceptions and 12 pass breakups, allowing a passer rating of just 57.9 when thrown his way.

Jackson does seem to have some mental lapses during games, occasionally seeming confused with motion and route combinations designed to force him into a quick decision. However, when he can just line up and play coverage against a receiver he demonstrates high-level ability and an almost limitless potential.

Some will question the level of competition he faced at Houston, but if one takes a look at just his numbers against Power-5 competition, his numbers actually improved. He didn’t allow a touchdown against any of those teams and the passer rating when he was thrown at fell to just 31.8."
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...nship-as-they-prepare-to-meet-for-a-fina.html

Thoughts on Kendall Fuller in the 2nd or 3rd?

I can only hope your correct...

And as far as Nkemdiche if there are questions why do this again at 13? We already hoping Phillips 'works out' who also has equations. We can surely find a player at 13 with less questions although we know nothing is a certainty in the draft.

we aren't going to...nkendiche can't impact the qb enough as a base de to make it something you can stick with for the long haul...he would be kicking into a full time 3 tech in a year...tannenbaums not gonna go the year after he just drafted Phillips who he overruled hickey on and make him a marginal player in the rotation

now if he gets to pick 42 that could be different...because then it may become he's the run away best player available regardless...either way he's not gonna marginalize Jordan Phillips after his rookie year when dt takes time to develop and most 2nd round pick dts red shirt even

for me it's either him or Hargreaves...I would be happy with either

but they aren't sniffing all these top corners for nothing...you can guarantee that

and in either of those kids they will have themselves the "starter" they keep referencing with pick 13

Well..its really only smart to check out all the players that may be in play at both the 1st and second round picks.

No one knows for sure who will be there and nothing can be worse than sitting there at 13 without a conviction on a player because you didn't due the home work on him.

I have no doubt they will likely take a corner in the first two rounds...checking them all out is the obvious procedure for evaluating whether the value is at one spot or another.

I think its far from a sure thing they are going corner at 13.......I even think there is a reasonable chance they are not done trading down.

I believe Vernon played the position of edge rusher...versus Nkemdiche who played DT...I think we all can agree that DT's won't post the sacks of edge rushers.

Does anybody expect Suh to have the sack totals of Cameron Wake?

The point being here I think Nkemdiche would be interesting as a base end kicking to DT on passing downs.

This game is truly won on the line of scrimmage and if you can put a line out there than can totally disrupt an offense...the quality of your corners is less important than if your line cannot apply pressure.

Mario Williams, Ndamakong Suh, Jordan Phillips and Robert Nkemdiche on base defense....Wake, Suh, Nkemdiche and Williams on passing downs?...I like it.

Give me Jackson or Fuller in round two at corner.

Your focus on sack numbers is strange, given how much they don't matter to you. You haven't disproven that he's the same type of player as Vernon, particularly when it comes to disappearing and failing to finish. I'm not just referring to sacks when I say that (though yes, I still value sacks, because, well, negative yards are a good thing when discussing defense, last I checked). Add in the subpar run defense, questionable commitment, and potential off-the-field concerns and I see why teams will be hesitant.

But, like I said, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the pick. I'd rather take a shot on high risk, high reward over relatively sure-fire mediocre. Those are pretty much the two options available at 13.

Back
Top Bottom