2017/2018 CFB Playoff Rankings | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017/2018 CFB Playoff Rankings

Because here's the deal...half of those conference championship games you're talking about waiting for don't matter anyway in terms of the playoff, and the Big-12 doesn't even have one.

It doesn't matter what two teams play in the PAC-12 championship game or who wins it. The PAC-12 is out of the playoff. Period.

The BIG-12 doesn't even have a conference championship game, and the committee along with the rest of the college football world, sits here and watches the best team in that conference (Oklahoma) struggle with the fodder in that conference every week and fail to put them away.

You see, the committee has watched all these games, and so have I. Have you?

They have made a decision based on all the evidence available, and there's more evidence coming. The CFB playoff rankings each week will reflect the new evidence.

That's why they have undefeated Wisconsin and undefeated Miami ranked where they do. They already know neither is a playoff team. Everybody else in the college football world knows it too outside of Camp Randall and whatever that stadium is in south Florida.

Ohio St. is going to beat Wisconsin to a pulp in the BIG-10 title game if they meet....and Clemson, Virginia Tech or Notre Dame (or all three) are going to beat Miami.

For anybody to sit there and say that a 1 loss Notre Dame team doesn't deserve to be anywhere near a playoff when their only loss would be a 1 point loss to the #1 team in the CFB playoff rankings doesn't even make sense. Especially when they've already beaten USC, Mich. St., and N.C. State. Not just beat em....annihilated all of em. They'd obviously also have wins over Miami and Stanford if they ended up with only 1 loss.

The only issue for the committee regarding a 1 loss Notre Dame team is whether or not to put them in over a 1 loss Alabama or Georgia if they both meet undefeated in the SEC Championship. Keeping in mind Georgia already has the head-the-head win over the Irish in their back pocket.

I probably won't address your comments about Clemson because you actually agreed with me. Clemson wouldn't be in my top 4. The loss to Syracuse was too bad of a loss in my opinion, and I'd put a 1 loss Notre Dame in over them no matter what Clemson does from here out. They'd have a worse loss despite having the 13th data point.

I'll tell you where else we agree...

Polls.
Are.
Meaningless.

I already have a pretty good idea who the 4 best teams in the country are. So does the committee. They know it's going to take care of itself as the rest of these games play out.

If your gripe simply boils down to how college football decides it's champion no matter who the top 4 teams are, I probably wouldn't even waste my time talking about it if I were you.

I am for a complete revamping of that garbage system we have now anyways. So yeah, talking about polls with me means nada.

First question: no
Second question: yes
But that is based on my limited experience in watching a small amount of college games. And like I told you before who gives a crap at this point.
Who is the better of the two will be decided in that "meaningless" SEC championship game. The question then will be: what to do with the loser? Drop them out of the top 4? Why?

Well there you go then. If you believe Georgia is one of the two best teams in the country, then obviously you believe Notre Dame is right there with em. They proved that on the field.

In one breath you gripe about the politics of polls and the system in college football and prefer the best teams be sorted out on the field. In the next breath you ignore what Notre Dame showed on the field, and use politics as a reason why a 1 loss Notre Dame shouldn't be anywhere near a playoff, because they don't play a conference championship game.

I mean if that's what you're hung up on, let's just put a 1 or 2 loss Sun Belt or MWC champion in the playoff...at least they play in a conference championship game.

Lastly, I didn't come close to insinuating that the SEC Championship game was meaningless, much less having to put it in quotation marks.

Last edited:
If the AP and Coaches poll mean nothing why have them?

Exactly.

Polls.
Are.
Meaningless.

The AP Poll used to decide the champion.

When the BCS came along, the AP Poll, Coaches Poll, and Harris Poll were all just part of the formula used to determine BCS ranking, along with other factors like strength of schedule, margin of victory, head-to-head, eye test, etc.

Now that you have a committee that takes all of this into account to determine the 4 best teams for a playoff to settle it on the field, the other polls are irrelevant. They have nothing to do with who qualifies for the playoff.

Therefore there is no reason to have them, other than just material to generate conversation and controversy.

The 4 best teams in the country will play each other for the championship. You may not like it, but they will.

I got a feelin by next Sunday there will be a major shake up in the polls. I'll leave it at that.

Well there you go then. If you believe Georgia is one of the two best teams in the country, then obviously you believe Notre Dame is right there with em. They proved that on the field.

In one breath you gripe about the politics of polls and the system in college football and prefer the best teams be sorted out on the field. In the next breath you ignore what Notre Dame showed on the field, and use politics as a reason why a 1 loss Notre Dame shouldn't be anywhere near a playoff, because they don't play a conference championship game.

I mean if that's what you're hung up on, let's just put a 1 or 2 loss Sun Belt or MWC champion in the playoff...at least they play in a conference championship game.

Lastly, I didn't come close to insinuating that the SEC Championship game was meaningless, much less having to put it in quotation marks.
So my believes come in pairs? You shouldn't really tell other people what they believe in or should believe in. And just because I believe that Georgia belongs up there doesn't mean I have to subscribe to the believe that ND belongs up there.
We'll see how the season plays out and who will be placed in the playoffs at the end.

And what am I hung up on? You have no clue what I am thinking and how I think college football should progress and be a part of the 21st century.

Exactly.

Polls.
Are.
Meaningless.

The AP Poll used to decide the champion.

When the BCS came along, the AP Poll, Coaches Poll, and Harris Poll were all just part of the formula used to determine BCS ranking, along with other factors like strength of schedule, margin of victory, head-to-head, eye test, etc.

Now that you have a committee that takes all of this into account to determine the 4 best teams for a playoff to settle it on the field, the other polls are irrelevant. They have nothing to do with who qualifies for the playoff.

Therefore there is no reason to have them, other than just material to generate conversation and controversy.

The 4 best teams in the country will play each other for the championship. You may not like it, but they will.

No need to give me a history lesson about polls. I am old enough to remember how it used to be, what it turned into and how we ended up where we are.

The system we have had, we had and we are having were great systems if you turn back time and take all the money and business out of college football. The business aspect, the exposure has changed and so should the way we determine a National Champion.

So my believes come in pairs? You shouldn't really tell other people what they believe in or should believe in. And just because I believe that Georgia belongs up there doesn't mean I have to subscribe to the believe that ND belongs up there.
We'll see how the season plays out and who will be placed in the playoffs at the end.

And what am I hung up on? You have no clue what I am thinking and how I think college football should progress and be a part of the 21st century.

I was simply using your own admitted belief about Georgia to surmise that Notre Dame must also be a worthy opponent considering how it played out on the field, not in the politics....which you don't like, except when you can apparently use them to be biased.

You're right, I have no clue how you think college football should work because you won't say how you think it should work. But I'll shoot holes all in it whenever you're ready.

Let me ask you this, do you think a 2 loss USC team should qualify for a playoff spot if they win out and are PAC-12 Champions over a 1 loss Notre Dame?

I mean they will have played a conference championship game and are conference championship...even though Notre Dame hammered em 49-14.

What about a 1 loss Miami team who are conference champions and their only loss is to Notre Dame? There's another conference championship Notre Dame will have beaten. Should the 13th data point get them in the playoff over a 1 loss Notre Dame, whose only loss would be a 1 point loss to Georgia?

You obviously didn't think it through very well before you spouted off about a 1 loss Notre Dame and conference champions. They already will have worked twice as hard.

That's all I'm sayin.

Bye bye from the top 10 Ohio State

Clemson , Penn st and Oklahoma being tested.

I was simply using your own admitted belief about Georgia to surmise that Notre Dame must also be a worthy opponent considering how it played out on the field, not in the politics....which you don't like, except when you can apparently use them to be biased.

You're right, I have no clue how you think college football should work because you won't say how you think it should work. But I'll shoot holes all in it whenever you're ready.

Let me ask you this, do you think a 2 loss USC team should qualify for a playoff spot if they win out and are PAC-12 Champions over a 1 loss Notre Dame?

I mean they will have played a conference championship game and are conference championship...even though Notre Dame hammered em 49-14.

What about a 1 loss Miami team who are conference champions and their only loss is to Notre Dame? There's another conference championship Notre Dame will have beaten. Should the 13th data point get them in the playoff over a 1 loss Notre Dame, whose only loss would be a 1 point loss to Georgia?

You obviously didn't think it through very well before you spouted off about a 1 loss Notre Dame and conference champions. They already will have worked twice as hard.

That's all I'm sayin.
Yes to USC.
This is how sports is supposed to work. The pros work like that. A team can get blown out by another team and still become Champion or enter the playoffs over that team they got blown out by.

The only sports I know off which arbitrarily assigns 4 teams to the playoffs is College Football. In Basketball while you do have rankings and rankings determine the majority of teams going to March Madness they at least give 64 teams a chance. The equivalent to college football would be if the rankings determine the Final Four.

My idea how it should work is quite simple yet would face a lot of resistance. You have 130 schools in division 1. Create 16 conferences. If you want keep most conferences you have now please do so and create additional ones to make it 16. Each Conference can be divided into two divisions (if the conference is large enough).
All 16 conference winners make the playoff. The first 8 teams eliminated could have another bowl game while the remaining 8 play it to a final 4. And so on. No rankings needed. No bitching and moaning and arguing who is worthy to go to the playoffs.
Now you are treating everybody the same and everybody has the same chance to go to the playoffs if they win the conference.

I know it will never happen because rankings means dollars (via fund raising) and better recruiting.

Spouted off? Your assumption is because I feel that Georgia is worthy up there I have to accept ND as well. What kind of argument is that? If I think Alabama should be up there does that mean I have to accept Clemson in the top 4 as well? Uhm no. They don't come in pairs.

And since you are entering now a territory
You obviously didn't think it through very well before you spouted off
I don't want to go we better end this little forth and back right now.

Last edited:
Yes to USC.
This is how sports is supposed to work. The pros work like that. A team can get blown out by another team and still become Champion or enter the playoffs over that team they got blown out by.

The only sports I know off which arbitrarily assigns 4 teams to the playoffs is College Football. In Basketball while you do have rankings and rankings determine the majority of teams going to March Madness they at least give 64 teams a chance. The equivalent to college football would be if the rankings determine the Final Four.

My idea how it should work is quite simple yet would face a lot of resistance. You have 130 schools in division 1. Create 16 conferences. If you want keep most conferences you have now please do so and create additional ones to make it 16. Each Conference can be divided into two divisions (if the conference is large enough).
All 16 conference winners make the playoff. The first 8 teams eliminated could have another bowl game while the remaining 8 play it to a final 4. And so on. No rankings needed. No bitching and moaning and arguing who is worthy to go to the playoffs.
Now you are treating everybody the same and everybody has the same chance to go to the playoffs if they win the conference.

I know it will never happen because rankings means dollars (via fund raising) and better recruiting.

Spouted off? Your assumption is because I feel that Georgia is worthy up there I have to accept ND as well. What kind of argument is that? If I think Alabama should be up there does that mean I have to accept Clemson in the top 4 as well? Uhm no. They don't come in pairs.

And since you are entering now a territory
I don't want to go we better end this little forth and back right now.

I already knew you were one of those who wants to make college football like the NFL. I've heard this nonsense put forth for many years. As if the model the NFL uses to crown it's champion isn't even more flawed than the one college football uses. It's so full of absurdities there's no way to even address all of it.

You don't need to have a perfect system to crown a champion. Not even professional sports have a perfect system. However, at least the best team in college football is going to win the championship. You can't say that about the NFL.

Basically, you want the regular season to mean nothing like it does in the NFL.

You really believe a system where a team can win their division in the NFL with a losing record and get in the playoffs isn't extremely flawed? You actually believe a team that went 9-7 in the regular season that ends up getting a few lucky bounces in the playoffs and gets on a 3 or 4 game winning streak to win the Superbowl was the best team?

Hell, the two best teams in the league rarely ever meet in the Superbowl.

Just for the sake of recent history, since the BCS came along in 1998, never in the history of it can you make an argument for the teams who finished #3 or worse to deserve a shot at the national championship. You can't. Nevermind all that 16 conference hogwash you just threw out there.

College basketball has already made their regular season meaningless. We don't want any part of that mess ruining college football.

We want the best team who proved they were the best team ALL SEASON as the champion. Not some 3 or 4 loss team that gets lucky in a playoff. Prove that you're only one of the top 4 now in college football you'll have your shot at the championship.

Keep all that NFL garbage right where it's at and away from college football. We agree again that thankfully it always will be.

My rankings:

1. Alabama

2-4. Some teams that are going to lose to Alabama.

They ought to pay me to do this for them.

Keep doubting Miami.that's one great defense. Rosier is just good enough to win with and he's proven clutch. We are coming for ya Alabama

Back
Top Bottom