2017/2018 CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'College Sports Forum' started by TedSlimmJr, Nov 1, 2017.

1. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

The only worry is Miami played well as the underdog these past 2 weeks. How do they handle being favored? Otherwise like I've said we go as far as Rosier takes us. We basically neutered him tonight. No overly aggressive passes

CoronaDoug likes this.
  2. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Yep, it's a whole lot different when you're the hunter instead of the hunted...trust me.

You have to find different ways to manufacture so much psychological motivation ever week, and you can only do that for so long. Eventually you just simply run out. You start playing tight. The cracks appear. The losses follow.

"Heavy is the head that wears the crown".

It's a fact.

fishfanmiami, CoronaDoug and nick1 like this.
  3. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Still don't care about a bunch of geezers making all the decisions. 4 weeks ago they "knew what they were doing" and picked the playoff teams. Since then they have been taught a lesson.
    But I can see them still picking a 2-loss ND over the Canes. In 2 weeks Alabama will get a licking from Auburn. Canes will beat Clemson but just to protect the status quo I can see GA and AL (over Auburn) and ND and Clemson (over MIA) going to the playoffs - just to say "oh we were right all along".

4. phins_4_ever

Oh please. I told you before it is a cycle. While still undefeated Alabama may end up with one or possibly 2 losses. I taped the Bama game and just watched it. Saban is past his shelf life. His longest coaching tenures were 4 years. He is way beyond that. You can tell when you watch the shots from the sideline. From excited and bitching he has now that golf clap for everything - bad play or good play.
    He will quit within two years (max) and go somewhere else. God forbid Bama loses to Auburn, the SEC Championship game and a bowl game (or playoff game). I can tell you right now he might be the coach for the Gators next year.
    He likes to be the hero. Celebrated. When he came to Alabama they were desperate to win an NC again. No SEC Championship in 8 years and a total of one SEC Championship since the last NC (15 years).

Now, a one-loss Alabama team is considered a failure. Honeymoon with Saban is over.

As a Canes fan everything I hoped for is accomplished: win the Coastal and be back in the top 10. Everything else now is gravy. I didn't expect playoffs this year, I didn't expect undefeated this year and for sure not an NC.
    And neither did the Hurricanes. They are now into the freestyle competition. No pressure.

5. TedSlimmJr

And I told you before. Dynasties come in cycles at Alabama. Success for Miami is not getting lost trying to make it to Charlotte for the first time.

A 1 loss team is not considered a failure at Alabama, just could've been better. Saban has won 3 National Championships at Alabama with 1 loss teams.

Saban is not leaving to go to Florida. But when he does quit, we'll thank him for all that he's done. No matter when he does it.

Last time I looked, this Alabama team was still undefeated and #1. This dynasty ain't over just yet.

Nobody has won anything yet. They all want it, but they all know who they're going to have to beat to take it. This ain't Notre Dame or Florida St. or Virginia Tech. No matter how injured we are.

6. phins_4_ever

I see, now VT and ND are nothing. I guess that's why we beat them soundly because they are nothing.
    Bamas schedule is loaded with top 10 teams. They are great.

And 3 weeks ago the Playoff committee was the all-knowing gods of college football and "had it right".

7. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Grip it and rip it Moderator Finheaven VIP

Every team has injuries at this point. We lost our best offensive player in the 3rd game and our best receiver from last year is just now getting back on the field.
    It is what it is.

phins_4_ever likes this.
  8. TedSlimmJr

I've never seen injuries hit Bama like they have this year. Not in 50 years. Our entire starting LB core is out for the season except Rashaan Evans....who has also missed games with injury. He's hurt. Half our backup linebackers are also injured and out. Some for the season also.

Da'Shawn Hand has been injured and missed the last month. Our other DE got shot in the leg right before the FSU game and Robert Foster wrecked a motorcycle and had stitches in his back.

Starting TE Forristall lost for the year in the first game against FSU. Starting LG Pierschbacher is out for a month now.

Alabama is the only team in the country that can withstand that type of attrition, and even we're at our limit.

There's a difference between injuries and decimation.

9. fishfanmiami

Then you've done well to stay undefeated.

10. nick1

What's the thoughts on tonight? Have to think they follow the ap poll. Alabama will be #1 Miami and Clemson 2 and 3. Oklahoma should be 4.

11. Namor

Namor Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

I'm ok with Miami being #1 and Bama #2...Im tired of being #1 all the time..LOL...at this point 1 or 2 doesn't matter,plus that #1 puts a big target on you.
    From now on out...just win..your in.....lose..your out...makes it simple.

12. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I think there is a legit chance that Bama, Clemson and Oklahoma will be ahead of Miami.

1. Alabama
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Clemson
    4. Miami
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Auburn
    7. Georgia

The only 7 teams left that control their own destiny.

13. Namor

Sorry Kdawg...but,and this is coming from a Bama guy...if Miami is not 1 or 2......something is very wrong.

nick1 likes this.
  14. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Seeing it from the committee POV, They are going with the data they have.

Although Miami has their big win and are undefeated, ND win took a hit with GA getting blown out. Va Tech loss, no big road win as the FSU game means nothing this year. Close games did not exit the equation.

Old polls, 1 or 2 seem accurate (as we saw). This CFP is different tho. Sure they still may be #1 or 2 tonight but there is no pressure to put them there because they know they can play the result up to the end with no consequence.

Bama undefeated and finally got a big road win on the resume that trounces anything Miami has done. Oklahoma has 3 wins vs. current projected top 15 teams. Clemson does have a big road loss to Syracuse but they had QB issues that game. The Auburn win looks real good on the resume tho.

15. phins_4_ever

Latest playoff standings:
    (I still believe it means nothing)

1) Alabama (+1)
    2) Clemson (+2)
    3) Miami (+4)
    4) Oklahoma (+1)
    5) Wisconsin (+3)
    6) Auburn (+4)
    7) Georgia (-6)
    8) Notre Dame (-5)
    9) Ohio State (+4)
    10) Penn State (+4

16. Kdawg954

Alabama #1
    Clemson #2
    Miami #3
    Oklahoma #4
    Wisconsin #5
    Auburn #6
    Georgia #7

17. phins_4_ever

You got 2, 3 and 4 in the wrong order but 7 for 7 on the top 7.

Kdawg954 likes this.
  18. nick1

Miami should be higher

19. fishfanmiami

Looks fine to me. Still some games left to play and I would not want to be #1 this early on. They are better playing with a chip on their shoulders.

20. phins_4_ever

Since this is now more playoff rankings I will change the title and take First out.

21. nick1

I'm gonna go ahead and say Miami will be #1 when they beat Clemson. Pretty sure that game will feature #1 and #2. Alabama is gonna lose the week prior to Auburn

22. phins_4_ever

In that case Alabama may not even be in the top 4.
    Auburn would go to the SEC Championship game.

Let the Canes win out first. 1 or 4? It doesn't matter to me. It would be a season beyond anybody's expectations.

23. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

And U of L promptly fell on their faces, well the offensive line and defense did at least. Houston (and LSU) buzzsawed our OL and UK (of all programs) outcoached Todd Grantham. That's why he's at Mississippi State now. That appears to have been a poor trade on our part.

It really is a culture thing. Miami is going to have to relearn how to front run. Richt has them back and they're only going to get better but that is something they'll have to relearn. It's universal across all sports, regardless of type. The 2 greatest front runners I've ever personally seen in sports (at least the sports I've routinely watched) are the Alabama Crimson Tide and Tiger Woods. Tennis appears to have good front runners, but I don't watch the sport so I can't say for certain. I don't think there's any shame in not knowing how to wear the crown either. So few get to do it.

TedSlimmJr likes this.
  24. TedSlimmJr

Agree entirely. Getting to the top isn't the hardest part. It's staying there.

Todd Grantham's aggressive style of defense is good for turning around a below average unit. But it'll get you beat in big games. Live by the blitz...you're gonna die by it.

When Tiger showed up wearing that red shirt on Sunday everybody else knew they were playing for 2nd place. To me the most impressive thing about Saban is how he gets all those 5 stars to play to a standard. Won't ever let 'em take the rat poison.

Urban Meyer is a great coach and an even better recruiter. But he's a terrible front runner. When Saban came after him and took what he had at Florida, he left. Everytime Ohio St. gets in position to be where they want to be, they go out and lay an egg against a lesser opponent.

I've seen a lot of the same in Mark Richt at Georgia. The culture at Miami has always been to get too ****y and read their own press clippings too much. The challenge for Richt at Miami if they reach the top, is staying there. He's bad about letting his team consume all that rat poison. You'll choke to death on it.

25. Namor

Hey Ted...Heard we may be getting a couple of linebackers back...You heard anything more than what I read?

26. TedSlimmJr

Hearing Christian Miller and Terrell Lewis could both be back by bowl season, and perhaps the SEC title game. Although the Iron Bowl seems to be a little ambitious at the moment. Neither has been medically cleared to participate yet, although they're in the functional phase of rehab.

27. Namor

Pretty much..what I heard, except that I read Christian would be back for the Iron Bowl...Here's hoping!!!!

28. TedSlimmJr

Uh oh. Wait a minute. Christian Miller tweeted this today.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  29. fishfanmiami

Hope you guys get many of your injured players back. Want to see bama near full strength for the important games to come.
    As far as Miami being ****y yea we were 15 - 20 years ago when we were in the Nat champ picture year in and year out but this year's team and the fan reaction to it are different. No one was talking nat champ around here. Our goal was simple , finally win a coastal championship which would be our first. The last two games have shown we can compete at that higher level and do have a pretty good chance to finish 11 - 0 and give Clemson a hell of a game. Anything after that is gravy.
    The fan base is having a blast and so is the team but we are realistic enough to know it could all end abruptly but this season was always viewed as a first step knowing we should have another very good recruiting class and no matter how we end up this year the future is a lot brighter than it was pre Richt.
    Also Richt has never been on top so how can you predict how he handles it. So far he's down played all the accolades and focused on getting better each week. Cann't ask for more from our HC.

phins_4_ever and Vaark like this.
  30. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

Hence the term "3rd/4th and Grantham" that Mississippi State learned about last week against you guys. Only a caveman would still call that same blitz even after the timeout. Here at Louisville we called it "The Grantham rage blitz". Add to that the fact that we'd have defenders throwing up their arms confused as hell right before the snap, you can't consistently win big games with a system like that.

31. TedSlimmJr

Not really. Being obnoxious, braggadocious and in your face is part of the culture at Miami. It's they want their reputation to be. It's what they recruit and build on. I've never seen Miami win with any class, and I've been around a long time. They're more worried about swagg or whatever.

It was just in 2006 Miami went out there and stomped on the Cardinal logo at Papa John's before the game in an ultimate and intentional sign of disrespect. They think it intimidates the opposition. They thought they were bullies.

The logo was the only stomping Miami did. Louisville promptly proceeded to stomp their *** for the next 60 minutes.

32. fishfanmiami

Whatever. You should know Richt by now and you should also know that's not his style.
    This team is having fun but always respectful of the competition..
    Hasn't always been like that but it is now and if you don't want to see it that fine by me.

By the way that incident you sighted was 12 years and 3 head coaches ago.
    Bet if we do make it to the playoffs and face Bama Lou's pulling for Miami.

phins_4_ever likes this.
  33. nick1

You just sound like a big hater slimm. Don't be a hater. You also seem to be living in the past. Things change. Richt called off the dogs versus Notre Dame. Did nothing but run for over a quarter. Do you call that class? Most teams would simply run up the score. Including Nick Saban

phins_4_ever likes this.
  34. TedSlimmJr

If interjecting a few facts here and there seems like hating to you, perhaps you're the over-sensitive type.

I can be accused of not wanting to see things, and I can make those same accusations. But I haven't yet.

Saban never runs up the score. You simply don't watch college football. Period.

He always plays backups in the second half of every single blowout game and just runs the ball. He called off the dogs on Richt at Georgia when Bama was up 31-0 at halftime. Called off the dogs and played backups again in the second half against Richt and Georgia in 2015...that's how Chubb finally broke a long run to get their only touchdown.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  35. nick1

National Championship where he scored up by 10 with like 57 Seconds left? Could have taken a knee. That's what I call running up the score game is in the books they can't stop you from kneeing. Also don't insult me cuz you disagree

fishfanmiami likes this.
  36. TedSlimmJr

What NC game are you referring to and how did I insult you?

37. nick1

2010 vs Texas. You said I don't watch college football period, like I can't possibly know what I'm talking about

38. TedSlimmJr

Again, it wasn't an insult it was a fact. By your own admission.

Secondly, that wasn't running up the score. Arenas intercepted them with 1:48 left and didn't even try to return it...just fell down. Trying NOT to run up the score.

Saban was just going to run out the clock, but a big run by Richardson on 1st down in addition to a face mask penalty by Texas put Bama in a no win situation in terms of scoring.

Bama couldn't take knees without risking Texas forcing us to kick a FG and run up the score. We tried NOT to run up the score, taking the play clock all the way down between snaps. All Texas had to do was tackle our RB and a knee was going to follow.

39. nick1

Texas only had 1 timeout and it was first down if I recall. He could have kneed absolutely. There's also stories against Ole Miss where he is throwing deep late in the 4th up by like 50. But I guess that's not running up the score either

I watch enough to know Nick Saban doesn't change his playcalling when he's up big. You may not see it as running up the score but other people certainly do

40. nick1

I didn't mean to go out of the way to insult Alabama. I just got caught up in the moment when you called Miami classless. 1 hangup I'm seeing is you brought up something from over a decade ago and you keep harping on Mark Richts past. You know things can change right? I've said this before but usually coaches at Miami don't win national championships prior or after being at Miami but they win at Miami. Richt also played at UM. He should fare better at his alumni