Hand:9 1/4
40 Yard Official:4.80
Bench:
Vertical:30
Broad:114
3-Cone:6.88
S. Shuttle:4.06
60 Yard Shuttle:

On paper, Mahomes has the skills of a first-round pick.
The junior will have a wide spectrum of comparisons. Some may say he has the arm of a Matthew Stafford, a former first overall pick, while others could make the case that his style of play is closer to Johnny Manziel's, who Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury coached as the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M.
No matter his skill, two things will be hung over Mahomes' head during the draft process. First, his Air Raid offense relates almost nothing close to an NFL system, and second, in a league run by quarterbacks, his 5-7 record in what might be his last year in Lubbock might be concerning.
With that being said, last year's first overall pick, Jared Goff of California, was able to go high in the draft despite those same concerns. Their systems are so similar that Mahomes' backup, Davis, transferred to California, and Goff's 14-23 record in his three years with the Golden Bears didn't seem to worry the Los Angeles Rams.
At some point, you have to question how different Goff and Mahomes are or at least where Mahomes lacks Goff's attributes. When you break down his talent, there isn't an answer to where Mahomes is worse, while he clearly has a stronger arm than Goff did coming out last season.
On third down, Mahomes has the arm strength to complete the long ball, against pressure or coverage, even if his feet are inconsistent at times. When Mahomes settles down and works on his mechanics and decision-making, like when he passes up shorter, open passes, he's going to be a special talent, similar to Derek Carr.
If you read Nolan Nawrocki's NFL.com draft profile on Carr coming out of Fresno State in 2014, it's almost a direct reflection of the same negatives that Mahomes possesses:

At times tries to do too much and forces some throws. Occasionally throws off balance unnecessarily and sails some throws. Operated out of the shotgun and pistol and made a lot short/lateral throws and half-field reads.
Almost three seasons after that draft, it's fairly apparent that the "flaws" that Carr had could not be differentiated from his system, and that those traits could be coached up at the NFL level. Carr, a former spread-happy quarterback, is now the second-leading candidate for the NFL MVP award, according to Odds Shark.
When you isolate specific reads that Mahomes has to make, like a high safety flying into the flats, a crashing man coverage read or a middle of the field safety vacating, he's able to execute NFL-style reads, he's just not asked to do so on a down-to-down basis.
In terms of talent, he has the slippery, play-making ability of a Manziel and will have the arm strength near a top-10 passer in the league the moment he's finally drafted. If you isolate just a few plays against Oklahoma, when he threw for 734 passing yards, he has more "flashy plays" than some former first-round picks post in their final seasons.
According to NFL Draft Scout, Mahomes should make it over the 6'2"-flat threshold that seems to be the standard for professional quarterbacks. Other than refinement, which every college quarterback needs to some extent, there are no limitations to what Mahomes' upside is.
If a squad can make a forward-thinking move to sit Mahomes early on, as Goff did, they may find huge value in selecting the passer in the first round of this coming draft, where options are limited. The recent history of quarterbacks like Carr, in action, and Goff, in the draft, makes Mahomes the biggest sleeper candidate in this coming draft pool.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...hs-patrick-mahomes-should-enter-weak-qb-class

Last edited by a moderator:
Barnett definitely alters his upper body angle and bends the corner far superior to Odrick. I swear, I almost specified those things in my previous post. It was the only thing I left out. With j-off-her-doll I should just go ahead and post a thought like that, because if it's absent he will be sure to mention it.

BTW, if anyone is interested Nolan Nawrocki's draft preview book is now available for preorder on Amazon. Thirteen bucks and change with price adjustment if it lowers after ordering. That book is much less expensive, and also superior to Ourlads, IMO. The online content is excellent these days but I always like to have a print copy available, just like my beginnings with this in the late '70s with Joel Buchsbaum's material from Pro Football Weekly.

Barnett has good bend but because he has average explosion off the ball and limited pass rush moves, I gave him a 3rd grade.

RB Samaje Perine Oklahoma 5-11 233

[video=youtube;DdXsN8I91Uw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXsN8I91Uw[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:5'11"
Weight:233
Arm:30 3/8
Hand:10
40 Yard Official:4.65
Bench:30
Vertical:33
Broad:116
3-Cone:7.26
S. Shuttle:4.37
60 Yard Shuttle:11.71

Samaje Perine is listed at 5’11” 237 lbs. but appears smaller and less bulky when on the field. It’ll be interesting to see what his measurements are at the combine. His size isn’t a huge factor in his evaluator, but does carry some weight.
The reason his size has some importance is because Perine is a downhill runner who isn’t an elusive back. He is at his best when there’s a clean running lane that allows him to quickly get up field. His initial burst allows him to press the line and shoot through the open hole.
Perine is a tough runner who keeps his legs churning and can pick up yards after the initial contact. However, he needs to work on running behind his pads more as he tends to run upright.
His inability to make defenders miss and provide some elusiveness limits his overall potential. He needs space to be effective and isn’t someone who’ll be able to create on his own. Perine can break some tackles, but he shouldn’t be considered an overly powerful runner.
In the passing game, he struggles to protect the quarterback and approaches his blocks with little to no authority. Perine doesn’t look to square his body to the rusher and mainly attempts to throw his shoulder into the defender.
He doesn’t offer much as a pass catcher out of the backfield either. His hands are average at best with some drops from time to time.
Overall, Perine is a one-dimensional running back who needs a 1-cut system to be effective. His inability to make defenders miss limits his upside. He also needs to really improve his pass protection in order to stay on the field in passing situations.

Current Draft Range: 5th Round
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2017-nfl-draft-oklahoma-samaje-perine-scouting-report-010517

Something to keep in mind with Barnett: at the Nike Combine, he posted a 4.24 20-yard dash at 274lbs. By contrast, Solomon Thomas recorded a 4.25 at 261lbs. At the NFL Combine, Bosa posted a 4.21 20-yard dash at 269lbs.

I bring up Bosa, because I've maintained that Barnett needs a similar Combine to Bosa to stay in my top-10. Like Bosa, Barnett wins with strength, agility, and hand technique. If he can approximate Bosa's 6.89 3-cone, he absolutely deserves a top-10 grade.

To be clear, Thomas is the superior athlete and a top-10 pick, but Barnett just needs to show that his winning trait translates against NFL athletes/players. He should run in the 4.7's or 4.8's, and that's fine - again, as long as he shows elite agility.

WR Curtis Samuel Ohio State 5-11 196

[video=youtube;ev_5VwHFAe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev_5VwHFAe4[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:5'11"
Weight:196
Arm:31 1/4
Hand:9 1/2
40 Yard Official:4.31
Bench:18
Vertical:37
Broad:119
3-Cone:7.09
S. Shuttle:4.33
60 Yard Shuttle:

Ohio State’s Curtis Samuel is an explosive playmaker who’s capable of scoring every time he touches the football.
Curtis Samuel is best described as an offensive weapon based on the fact he can impact the game from several spots on the field. Ohio State has used him as a traditional running back, slot receiver, wildcat quarterback and punt returner.
He uses his quick-twitch ability and change of direction skills to gain yardage in chunks. Samuel is capable of exploding through the hole and quickly reaching the second level and also picking his way through traffic.
This is someone that an offensive coordinator can have a lot of fun with by just getting him the ball in space.
Samuel isn’t just an athletic running back who can play some wide receiver. He’s a balanced route runner who knows how to locate open holes in the defense. His quickness and fluid movements help him create easy separation.
He has solid hands and routinely plucks the ball away from his frame. There have been a few situations where Samuel wasn’t able to haul in a pass that hit him in the hands. He’ll need to put in a little more work to ensure he can be more consistent.
As a running back, Samuel is at his best working on the edges or in space. He lacks the size and bulk to move the pile or be featured running back. This is someone who needs to move around the offense in order to create mismatches.
His willingness and skills as a blocker are an important part of his game. He isn’t afraid to attack the defender, gain inside hands and gain a solid base. Samuel doesn’t have the bulk or strength to anchor for long, but he’s more than willing to throw a block.

Current Draft Status: 2nd Round
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2017-nfl-draft-ohio-state-curtis-samuel-scouting-report-011817

TE Gerald Everett South Alabama 6-3 239

[video=youtube;zrEgsJ57SEs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrEgsJ57SEs[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'3"
Weight:239
Arm:33
Hand:8 1/2
40 Yard Official:4.62
Bench:22
Vertical:37.5
Broad:126
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

South Alabama tight end Gerald Everett
Arguably the Sun Belt's best offensive skill-player, Everett has NFL scouts excited for the 2017 TE class

TE Gerald Everett, South Alabama, rSR. (6-3, 240, 4.68, #12)

The Scouting Report

The 2017 draft class has an impressive senior tight end group led by Michigan's Jake Butt, Alabama's O.J. Howard and Mississippi's Evan Engram. But Everett is a tight end prospect who isn't far behind that top tier and he has showed why so far as a senior, leading South Alabama with 26 catches for 393 yards and three touchdowns. The UAB transfer was an instrumental part of the Jaguars' upset of Mississippi State earlier this season with eight catches for 95 yards, including the game-winning touchdown with less than a minute left in the game. The win over Dan Mullen's Bulldogs was South Alabama's first road victory over a Power Five opponent in school history.

gerald-everett-south-alabama.jpg

Everett has shined in big spots for South Alabama. USATSI

As a NFL prospect, Everett is an above-average athlete for the position with effortless acceleration off the line and in/out of his route breaks. He uses functional lean in his patterns to burst off his plant foot and square off routes, giving his quarterback a clean target. With his slender, athletic body type, Everett doesn't have ideal size for the position, but he isn't intimidated by contested situations and shows off fierce, aggressive hands as a blocker. Although he will have the occasional focus drop, he has acrobatic ball skills to make tough grabs look easy and secures well in stride to turn short gains into long plays.

According to NFLDraftScout.com, Everett is currently ranked as the No. 11 senior tight end prospect and potential Day 3 selection in the 2017 NFL Draft.
What NFL Scouts are saying

"That USA program got a boost when No. 12 decided to transfer there. Smooth athlete. Powerful strides. I'll bet my paycheck he comes out on top when left alone in single coverage." -- AFC North scout
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/meet-the-prospect-south-alabama-tight-end-gerald-everett/

Four prospects on rise in 2017 NFL Draft class

4. Gerald Everett, WR/TE, South Alabama

While Everett’s official position is tight end, at a listed 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, he may be more of a big slot receiver at the next level. Regardless of position, he’s a big-time receiving threat, as his 85.6 receiving grade ranks third among tight ends. He has forced 19 missed tackles with the ball in his hand, 10 more than anyone else at the position. Last year he led tight ends with 22 forced missed tackles, a number that would have ranked ninth among wide receivers.

Everett is an adequate blocker, but given his small frame, it may not be something he’s asked to do much of at the next level. But his after-the-catch ability and the opportunity to create mismatches in the passing game will be coveted come draft time.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-four-prospects-on-rise-in-2017-nfl-draft-class/

Tonight I finally got around to watching the bowl game between LSU and Louisville. I need to rescind my recommendation of DeAngelo Brown of Louisville as a defensive tackle prospect. Somewhere on this site I mentioned him positively a couple of weeks ago.

Brown is simply too short. I was watching play after play and he was back on his seat at the stance and had a very short profile. Then Greg McElroy twice during the telecast mentioned Brown's height, saying he was either 5-10 or 5-11. That looked accurate to me. Two seasons ago I attended a Lousville game and was impressed with Brown. But that was against Samford and I was under the impression Brown was 6-1. That's probably how he was listed. He is very strong and a battler. There were many good confrontations between Brown and Pocic. But Brown doesn't have special penetrating qualities, or anything to recommend him that overcomes that basic lack of height.

Every time I watch LSU it's amazing how many raw athletes they field. It looks like more than any team in the country, year after year. They may be undisciplined but wow do they flash. It's one of the reasons I have no idea why so much time is wasted looking for small college sleepers. There's no chance that's more lucrative than simply scanning the most talented programs in the country. Just like the Seahawks aren't going to be called for holding or interference as often as they do it, scouts aren't inclined to believe the 10th or 12th rated guy at a school is someone who can make their roster.

On a related note, every time I try to watch Jamal Adams it is frustrating. I'm confident he's a great player. His frame looks terrific. He's active. When he senses something perfectly he chases it down and can make some fantastic tackles and hits. However, so many plays are wiped out before he has to do anything at all. Those athletes up front destroy the design of the play. Adams never appears on screen. It's not illogical why some defensive backs on stacked programs like that are not as good as they appeared. I can think of Mike Rumph with the Canes and Morris Claiborne with LSU. I know I'd be more comfortable assigning greatness to Malik Hooker than Adams. Hooker's instincts are so rare they show up on screen even before his teammates wipe out the play.

Tonight I finally got around to watching the bowl game between LSU and Louisville. I need to rescind my recommendation of DeAngelo Brown of Louisville as a defensive tackle prospect. Somewhere on this site I mentioned him positively a couple of weeks ago.

Brown is simply too short. I was watching play after play and he was back on his seat at the stance and had a very short profile. Then Greg McElroy twice during the telecast mentioned Brown's height, saying he was either 5-10 or 5-11. That looked accurate to me. Two seasons ago I attended a Lousville game and was impressed with Brown. But that was against Samford and I was under the impression Brown was 6-1. That's probably how he was listed. He is very strong and a battler. There were many good confrontations between Brown and Pocic. But Brown doesn't have special penetrating qualities, or anything to recommend him that overcomes that basic lack of height.

Every time I watch LSU it's amazing how many raw athletes they field. It looks like more than any team in the country, year after year. They may be undisciplined but wow do they flash. It's one of the reasons I have no idea why so much time is wasted looking for small college sleepers. There's no chance that's more lucrative than simply scanning the most talented programs in the country. Just like the Seahawks aren't going to be called for holding or interference as often as they do it, scouts aren't inclined to believe the 10th or 12th rated guy at a school is someone who can make their roster.

On a related note, every time I try to watch Jamal Adams it is frustrating. I'm confident he's a great player. His frame looks terrific. He's active. When he senses something perfectly he chases it down and can make some fantastic tackles and hits. However, so many plays are wiped out before he has to do anything at all. Those athletes up front destroy the design of the play. Adams never appears on screen. It's not illogical why some defensive backs on stacked programs like that are not as good as they appeared. I can think of Mike Rumph with the Canes and Morris Claiborne with LSU. I know I'd be more comfortable assigning greatness to Malik Hooker than Adams. Hooker's instincts are so rare they show up on screen even before his teammates wipe out the play.

Agree on Adams, Awsi. Heading into my time with Adams, I thought he'd end up with a top-10 grade, but I don't see a player who is as perfect or dynamic as advertised. He's plenty fast and hits well, but he made some poor plays in the passing game, and he doesn't play like a ball hawk (like Hooker). I still like him in the 1st, and probably top-20, but I don't see the guy that many are mocking in the top 5 or 6 picks.

With exactly this philosophy in mind I've been looking at Tashawn Bower a bit to see if he might be a 4-3 Sam fit. He's nOT Ryan Anderson but he's a big athletic LB who has been a mixed bag as a pass rusher but solid against the run and who drops into coverage on TEs and RBs. He's big and the Combine will be telling as to whether he has the necessary speed and fluidity, but it doesn't look impossible from my pov. He was a highly recruited kid, had a great bowl game with 2 or 3 sacks iirc, but he never really dominated as a rusher.

He's a low rounder at this point and, using Awsi's well-put principle, he's a value pick with a higher floor than some Sun Belt conf kid who has been picking on chumps.

Need to em watch him more, but he looks like he has a use in the pros, setting the edge on early downs and maybe putting his hand down in sub packages.

Something to keep in mind with Barnett: at the Nike Combine, he posted a 4.24 20-yard dash at 274lbs. By contrast, Solomon Thomas recorded a 4.25 at 261lbs. At the NFL Combine, Bosa posted a 4.21 20-yard dash at 269lbs.

I bring up Bosa, because I've maintained that Barnett needs a similar Combine to Bosa to stay in my top-10. Like Bosa, Barnett wins with strength, agility, and hand technique. If he can approximate Bosa's 6.89 3-cone, he absolutely deserves a top-10 grade.

To be clear, Thomas is the superior athlete and a top-10 pick, but Barnett just needs to show that his winning trait translates against NFL athletes/players. He should run in the 4.7's or 4.8's, and that's fine - again, as long as he shows elite agility.

Barnett needs to have an explosive combine; In the NFL if your edges are not twitched up athletes they better be gifted technicians and Barnett looks to be neither. Barnett doesn't have multiple ways to win at the poa; in fact he is overly reliant on timing the snap and dipping under tackles. Barnett doesn't have a diverse pass rush repertoire and he doesn't have the nuanced hands that Bosa has so I don't think its a great comparision.

OG Nico Siragusa San Diego State 6-4 319

LG #56
[video=youtube;Ax-EbzfygiY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-EbzfygiY[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'4"
Weight:319
Arm:33 1/2
Hand:10 5/8
40 Yard Official:5.35
Bench:28
Vertical:32
Broad:110
3-Cone:7.71
S. Shuttle:4.56
60 Yard Shuttle:
Strengths:
Desirable build and frame; thickness through his lower half
Wins the leverage battle on the snap, allowing him to drive defenders off the ball
Identifies and picks up twists well
Coordinates hands and feet to mirror defender in pass pro
Nimble feet for a man his size
Properly executes kick out blocks to create running lanes
Wins with aiming point and latch-on ability when blocking laterally to generate movement
Quick to locate second-level assignments on combo blocks
Does a good job of locating assignments when pulling
Good against one-gap defenders where he doesn’t have give an inch vertically, yet creates lateral movement
Developed anchor in pass pro
Widens front-side POAs with power when down blocking

Weaknesses:
Struggles to adjust and sustain on the move
Isn’t the most fluid mover in space
Ducks head on perimeter assignments
Pad level will rise in pass pro, causing him to work harder to re-anchor
Needs to be more consistent in his understanding of angles
Occasionally loses leverage on the snap, allowing defender to initiate contact first

In what is a relatively talented guard class, Siragusa has a chance to be a high-riser. Two months ago, he was Pro Football Focus’ seventh-rated guard and finished the season as a second team All-American via the statistic-based outlet. The senior guard was an integral part of the Aztecs’ success on the ground while also allowing only two pressures this season, neither of which resulted in quarterback hits. He added a third team AP All-America selection to his list of accolades this season with three straight first team All-Mountain West selections on his resume (2014-2016).
Siragusa has logged 53 straight appearances (40 straight starts) and earned a Senior Bowl invite where he will get a chance to showcase his abilities against some of the top draft prospects. Of said abilities, a lot of what Siragusa does well relates back to his build and strength, combining both to generate movement off the ball and create wider running lanes. The latter ability also stems from nimble feet and quick location of landmarks. What he lacks in heavy hands, he compensates for with proper aiming point and latch-on ability that allow him to work inside a defender’s frame before finishing blocks by running his feet. For all the great work he does in his run fits, Siragusa is technically sound in pass protection, a true testament to those mere two pressures he allowed in 2016. He possesses a strong anchor and wide base that prevent him from getting put on skates, while those aforementioned feet slide and adjust to mirror defenders.
At times it is frustrating to watch Siragusa in the run game. He lacks desired fluidity in space, serving as a catalyst for his inability to consistently adjust and sustain on the move. Continuing the theme, he fails to break down establish a strong base on the perimeter, ultimately causing him to duck his head and eliminate any possibility of him driving defenders. In pass pro, his pad level will rise on occasion and give defenders the opportunity to counter back inside or collapse the pocket on him; while he recovered well against Mountain West opponents, those same recovery opportunities won’t be there as often at the next level.
Pro comparison: Jarvis Harrison
Much like Harrison, both are terrifically built with desired thickness through the lower half. Siragusa shares Harrison’s smooth feet that can mirror defenders in pass pro, ability to quickly locate and latch-on to second-level defenders, and show proficiency in pass pro.
Round Value: 4th
While Harrison last until the fourth round as well, that was primarily attributed to concerns surrounding his dedication and love of the game; without such concerns, he likely would’ve gone in the late second. Siragusa will last until the fourth due to his inconsistent angles and questionable power step, areas where Harrison excelled. Should Siragusa show out at the Senior Bowl and test better than I expect he will at the Combine, he could hear his name called in the early portions of the third round.
http://thedraftster.com/scouting-report-nico-siragusa-nfl-draft/

DeAngelo's height is a matter of record now that he's participated in the Shrine game and he came out at 6003 so about 6'0.5". That's KIND of short. But it's not as bad as you're thinking. Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett and Jurrell Casey aren't really any bigger. Technically they're like a quarter-inch taller. Sedrick Ellis if you remember him, he was the same height as those four. Brandon Mebane and Stephen Paea have had long careers only being a half to three-quarters of an inch taller than those folk. Brandon Williams is on his way to a big contract this year at less than an inch taller than DeAngelo. Geno Atkins is only 1.0 inches taller. B.J. Raji about 1.1 inches taller.

Worth noting that DeAngelo Brown's wingspan is 6'7" which is actually really wide.

If you're looking at the LSU game I mean it should go without saying this center Ethan Pocic is 6'7". Off the top of my head I can't even remember another center that big. He's going to make genuinely good sized DTs look kind of short, and DTs that are on the short end (like DeAngelo Brown) look like midgets.

The height is not ideal here but this line of thought would have knocked out three of the great DT penetrators active in football today between Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett, and Jurrell Casey. And it would've seriously dinged another of the great DT penetrators, Geno Atkins. That seems to be where those shorter DTs can make a difference...penetration.

And to that end, DeAngelo had 14.0 TFLs at Louisville in 2016.

Among real DTs, only three had more TFLs nationally. They were future all world Ed Oliver of Houston, Tanzel Smart of Tulane, and Woody Baron of Va Tech. Jonathan Allen of Alabama and Dylan Bradley of Southern Miss had more TFLs, but they played as much DE as DT, and often played more like 4-technique stuff.

I'm not saying you make a statistical case for DeAngelo Brown anymore than I'm saying you do for Woody Baron or Tanzel Smart. What I'm saying is it fits. When it comes to these prospects, that's important. You figure out the kind of player so-and-so is trying to be, and then evaluate whether he's got the ability to make good on it. You don't want a short guy with short arms that is trying to be a two-gap end. Likewise you don't want a super tall guy trying to be Keith Traylor.

DeAngelo Brown is a short guy and those guys when they've been successful at the next stage have tended to be penetrating tackles. To that end he was one of the most effective penetrating tackles in college football in 2016. He went to the Senior Bowl and after a few hiccups on first day of practice getting his feet wet, he really did very, very well. And I heard scouts talking about how they loved his strength, hand use, and yes even his pad level (which is an advantage when you're short). Then when it came to the game, he absolutely dominated. He embarrassed the hell out of Tobijah Hughley in ways that should be illegal in all 50 states, and did well against the other centers too.

If Bruce Feldman can be believed, DeAngelo Brown bench presses 515 lbs, squats 600 lbs, hang cleans 325 lbs, can do 21 bench reps of 315 lbs, and measured in at an 18 percent body fat at about 310 lbs.

What you're doing is you're just kind of building this case brick by brick. Short but long arms and a big wingspan, a physical freak from a strength standpoint, not at all a fat guy, great pad level and hand use and you can see that upper body strength on the practice field and in the games, seems like another in a line of would-be penetrating DT types who were all around the same height, had the TFL data to back that up in 2016, went to an All Star game and stood out positively (consensus), etc.

Barnett needs to have an explosive combine; In the NFL if your edges are not twitched up athletes they better be gifted technicians and Barnett looks to be neither. Barnett doesn't have multiple ways to win at the poa; in fact he is overly reliant on timing the snap and dipping under tackles. Barnett doesn't have a diverse pass rush repertoire and he doesn't have the nuanced hands that Bosa has so I don't think its a great comparision.

Disagree on a few points. If by twitched up, you're talking about vert, broad, and/or 40/10-YS, that's one prototype. The other is a player that has excellent agility (3-cone, 20-YS). For people who like Barnett, they're looking at him as the 2nd type. He's not twitched-up, and we know it, but his ability to bend the edge is unique for a player with his size and strength.

I also don't know why you don't see Barnett as a gifted technician. If he isn't, who is?

DeAngelo's height is a matter of record now that he's participated in the Shrine game and he came out at 6003 so about 6'0.5". That's KIND of short. But it's not as bad as you're thinking. Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett and Jurrell Casey aren't really any bigger. Technically they're like a quarter-inch taller. Sedrick Ellis if you remember him, he was the same height as those four. Brandon Mebane and Stephen Paea have had long careers only being a half to three-quarters of an inch taller than those folk. Brandon Williams is on his way to a big contract this year at less than an inch taller than DeAngelo. Geno Atkins is only 1.0 inches taller. B.J. Raji about 1.1 inches taller.

Worth noting that DeAngelo Brown's wingspan is 6'7" which is actually really wide.

If you're looking at the LSU game I mean it should go without saying this center Ethan Pocic is 6'7". Off the top of my head I can't even remember another center that big. He's going to make genuinely good sized DTs look kind of short, and DTs that are on the short end (like DeAngelo Brown) look like midgets.

The height is not ideal here but this line of thought would have knocked out three of the great DT penetrators active in football today between Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett, and Jurrell Casey. And it would've seriously dinged another of the great DT penetrators, Geno Atkins. That seems to be where those shorter DTs can make a difference...penetration.

And to that end, DeAngelo had 14.0 TFLs at Louisville in 2016.

Among real DTs, only three had more TFLs nationally. They were future all world Ed Oliver of Houston, Tanzel Smart of Tulane, and Woody Baron of Va Tech. Jonathan Allen of Alabama and Dylan Bradley of Southern Miss had more TFLs, but they played as much DE as DT, and often played more like 4-technique stuff.

I'm not saying you make a statistical case for DeAngelo Brown anymore than I'm saying you do for Woody Baron or Tanzel Smart. What I'm saying is it fits. When it comes to these prospects, that's important. You figure out the kind of player so-and-so is trying to be, and then evaluate whether he's got the ability to make good on it. You don't want a short guy with short arms that is trying to be a two-gap end. Likewise you don't want a super tall guy trying to be Keith Traylor.

DeAngelo Brown is a short guy and those guys when they've been successful at the next stage have tended to be penetrating tackles. To that end he was one of the most effective penetrating tackles in college football in 2016. He went to the Senior Bowl and after a few hiccups on first day of practice getting his feet wet, he really did very, very well. And I heard scouts talking about how they loved his strength, hand use, and yes even his pad level (which is an advantage when you're short). Then when it came to the game, he absolutely dominated. He embarrassed the hell out of Tobijah Hughley in ways that should be illegal in all 50 states, and did well against the other centers too.

If Bruce Feldman can be believed, DeAngelo Brown bench presses 515 lbs, squats 600 lbs, hang cleans 325 lbs, can do 21 bench reps of 315 lbs, and measured in at an 18 percent body fat at about 310 lbs.

What you're doing is you're just kind of building this case brick by brick. Short but long arms and a big wingspan, a physical freak from a strength standpoint, not at all a fat guy, great pad level and hand use and you can see that upper body strength on the practice field and in the games, seems like another in a line of would-be penetrating DT types who were all around the same height, had the TFL data to back that up in 2016, went to an All Star game and stood out positively (consensus), etc.

Heh, that was pretty common this season with Hughley. Former walk-on that I'm absolutely amazed that Petrino couldn't find a better replacement for. He's a major reason why Jackson was sacked and hurried so much this season and a major hurdle to Jackson winning the Heisman.

That doesn't take anything away from Brown though. He's one of the strongest players in college football that penetrates well (obviously). Stand up character as well. He's a fine player and I think Awsi's fears are over blown.

I'd recommend him much more highly than I would Fields. It's a big "NO" to drafting Fields. His work ethic is atrocious. The kid came here so out of shape he puked his guts out after warm ups of his first practice. Yeah, warm ups. He had 2 sacks against top 25 competition in his 2 years here. No thanks.

Yeah I'm not taking DeAngelo in the 1st or 2nd round or anything but the guy could be a pretty good player. Doesn't quite move like I felt guys like Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett and Jurell Casey moved. But boy is he strong.

Back
Top Bottom