2018 draft analysis

Jssanto

Club Member
Reaction score
I looked at this for Rosen.
one site said “astute field reader”
One site said “most nfl ready QB”
Conclusions?
Just needs more time? Draft evaluators cannot really tell? Draft always a crap shoot?

Situations matter...so does context.

You can be a great field reader, but how do you hold up when you get moved off your spot...when the rush is getting close...pocket collapsing...

Do you have a tendency to make boneheaded mistakes once or twice a game? Is he NFL ready because of the offense he played in?

Maybe he needed more time to develop before being tossed into the washing machine. Maybe there is a lot more to a scouting report than 2 quips...

You can't focus in on a couple of traits and use those to define what a QB is going to be...there's so much to take into account...there's projection in development...and a lot of uncertainty.

Last edited:
I go with all the analysis being a crap shoot.
I really like the ones who give the "strong" points, then the "weak" points, and how EACH category contradicts the other.

They get paid to write. While many QBs have all the tools, the success rate is low. I think the QB position is just the hardest to evaluate/predict.

It’s also the most dangerous position to draft because the definition of success is much higher than any other position. While most teams and fans would be ok getting an average long term starter in the first round. A staff that drafts an average long term starter at QB gets fired. Case in point would be Ryan Tannehill. Just an average long term starter here but just knocked out the Patriots in the playoffs for Tennessee.

As for Rosen, will he be a success? I don’t know and realistically no one outside the coaching staff and FO really know. I do know that I’m amazed at how many fans almost seem to gleefully root against him. To me, I’d be thrilled to see him emerge from this redshirt season and be successful by QB standards. If not, we took a gamble with a low second round pick and missed. It was a worthwhile gamble.

At this point I think the bar needs to be lowered and evaluate if Rosen can even be a decent backup. I know I would much rather have a vet like Dalton or Mariota come off the bench for determining the outcome of games.

I go with all the analysis being a crap shoot.
I really like the ones who give the "strong" points, then the "weak" points, and how EACH category contradicts the other.

I agree, but I don't like "crapshoot." That implies Simmons is just as much a gamble as a R4 S. As much as people don't like it, higher round picks (without reaching) are 'safer' than later rounds. The ability to reduce risk negates crapshoot.
So much for digression. I've also been amused at positives and negatives. Almost like the writer is covering his butt.
As for QB, the most important trait (IMO) is mental quickness. No real way to evaluate that in college tape. That makes QB evaluation ripe for misses.

One thing I will say I like is that the Dolphins recognized fairly quickly that Rosen was lacking in intangibles (leadership, attitude, etc), and pulled him until he can correct them. Is that something he can do? Hard to say.

What I will say is this: Anyone who says "Josh Rosen is a waste of time, kick him to the curb" isn't paying attention to something very specific. Josh Rosen is two months younger than Joe Burrow. And he's been in the NFL for two years. So he was hardly a finished product when he came out.

It costs the Dolphins absolutely nothing to keep him on the roster. They have him under team control for peanuts for the next two years. Let the team work with him on his flaws, because he's got all the tools to be a very good QB. If all that ever comes of him is that he's a good backup, there could be worse things. Ask the Eagles how important a backup QB was when they had to go to Josh McCown last weekend.

One thing I will say I like is that the Dolphins recognized fairly quickly that Rosen was lacking in intangibles (leadership, attitude, etc), and pulled him until he can correct them. Is that something he can do? Hard to say.

What I will say is this: Anyone who says "Josh Rosen is a waste of time, kick him to the curb" isn't paying attention to something very specific. Josh Rosen is two months younger than Joe Burrow. And he's been in the NFL for two years. So he was hardly a finished product when he came out.

It costs the Dolphins absolutely nothing to keep him on the roster. They have him under team control for peanuts for the next two years. Let the team work with him on his flaws, because he's got all the tools to be a very good QB. If all that ever comes of him is that he's a good backup, there could be worse things. Ask the Eagles how important a backup QB was when they had to go to Josh McCown last weekend.

Absolutely we should keep him, but lets not plan for him to be our future QB, still need to draft a top QB prospect.

Back
Top Bottom