2018 draft analysis | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 draft analysis

like 2017 when we took Harris. That was probably the worst pick of the first round and some of the players that were still on the board,
Evan Engram
Jabrill Peppers
Tre'Davious White
David Njoku
TJ Watts

it is amazing how bad we've drafted over the years and how many great players we have passed on.
We literally could have a consensus of like 5 guys here and have a better scouting and draft

I hated the Ted Ginn Jr pick cause I wanted Brady Quinn or Patrick Willis if he wasn't there. When Quin fell to us, I thought he was a slam dunk pick. Ted is still playing too... I'm guessing like everyone else lol

I hated the Ted Ginn Jr pick cause I wanted Brady Quinn or Patrick Willis if he wasn't there. When Quin fell to us, I thought he was a slam dunk pick. Ted is still playing too... I'm guessing like everyone else lol
Revis too

Tom Brady absolutely does not win on his own...That's the reason though I think Tom is a great QB, he is far from the GOAT.

QBs like Marino, Elway, Montana, Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Brees to name a few could find ways of winning with less, then Brady.

This year is the biggest evidence. Of all the QBs in the history of the NFL Brady is the one who has benefited the most from a great scouting system (besides cheating). One of the scouts is now our HC.

I looked at this for Rosen.
one site said “astute field reader”
One site said “most nfl ready QB”
Conclusions?
Just needs more time? Draft evaluators cannot really tell? Draft always a crap shoot?
A good draft is a 50% success rate. A great draft is a 60% success rate. I don't think any team has hit above 70% ever.

What were the chances of all 5 QB's Mayfield, Darnold, J. Allen, J. Rosen, and L. Jackson being successful QB's? Jury is still out on some but Rosen has by far been the least impressive of the bunch. History has shown us that not all of these guys were going to be successful.

But you cant find a franchise QB until you try.

Depends on what you consider successful. Is success a Dalton-type, Akili Smith-type game managing QB who might be your starter for years to come but unless you put absolute perfect pieces around him never will move the needle much? Or do you define success as franchise QB like the Rodgers, Mahomes etc?

Depends on what you consider successful. Is success a Dalton-type, Akili Smith-type game managing QB who might be your starter for years to come but unless you put absolute perfect pieces around him never will move the needle much? Or do you define success as franchise QB like the Rodgers, Mahomes etc?
Actually a very interesting question.

At most positions a solid, if not spectacular, decade long started would be consider a successful pick after the top 10. You would like to get a pro bowler in the top 10.

QBs on the other hand, are perceived as failures unless they are perennial top 10 in the league, on a playoff caliber team.

Actually a very interesting question.

At most positions a solid, if not spectacular, decade long started would be consider a successful pick after the top 10. You would like to get a pro bowler in the top 10.

QBs on the other hand, are perceived as failures unless they are perennial top 10 in the league, on a playoff caliber team.
Even a franchise QB does not guarantee you a Super Bowl or a Super Bowl game. The difference is that a true franchise QB can take you further with less than a game manager type QB but if there are too many flaws to overcome he will never take you to the promised land.
I never was that infatuated with Brady as others were and I am still of the believe that outside the Patriots franchise he would not have been as successful. Besides cheating the Patriots have done a masterful job surrounding Brady with the right talent in the right system over the years.
For me coaching and the system will always stand above a franchise QB. Crappy coaching and the lack of a system can screw up any potential franchise QB (as we have seen over the years) and can become the greatest obstacle. On the other hand a great coaching staff exploiting the strength of the team can elevate any QBs play.

That would be subjective but I would say they would have to be at least a starting QB for that team for at least 7 years.

But you would think when a team drafts a QB in the 1st round that they view said QB as a franchise guy and not just a border line starter. At least I hope that's how the dolphins staff views it.

I agree......there's alot of folks on this board that seem to have a better eye on talent than many NFL teams.

As a fan it is very easy to identify talent as we see it on the field. However, it’s hard for us to see how these players handle themselves at practice, in the film room, during interviews and in their personal life. While talent is obviously a large factor, scouts and GMs look at a wide variety of things before they make a pick. That’s how a guy like Charles Harris, who checks every intangibles box off, ends up a first round pick when he didn’t necessarily have the talent. In hindsight it was a terrible pick, but there really isn’t much we can do about past drafts.

Talent is one thing but you have to really want to put in the extra work and really grind not just during the season but the off season as well. someone who has the desire to be the best and sacrifice to win....so far that is not Rosen.

This year is the biggest evidence. Of all the QBs in the history of the NFL Brady is the one who has benefited the most from a great scouting system (besides cheating). One of the scouts is now our HC.
I mean... he was 42 this year...

Back
Top Bottom