Hand - DNP
40 - DNP
Bench - DNP
Vertical - DNP
Broad - DNP
3 Cone - DNP
20 yd. shuttle - DNP
60 yd. shuttle - DNP

One of the better defensive ends in the country in 2017 will be Ohio State’s Tyquan Lewis. Lewis is a fifth-year senior and this will be his third year as a starter. He has played on both sides during his career at Ohio State. Lewis is a consistently productive player. In 2016 he finished the season with 29 total tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks. In 2015 he had 54 total tackles, 14 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks. He was named the Big Ten’s defensive lineman of the year in 2016.
Lewis has ideal defensive end size at about 6’4 – 265 with the frame to get a little bigger. He is a good-to-real good athlete with excellent change of direction and overall body control. He runs well for a big guy, with an estimated speed of about 4.80.
Lewis plays with strength and power, can hold the point and has explosiveness through his hips. In the run game, he shows instinctiveness and is quick to find the ball. He is a disciplined player who seldom gets himself out of position. You don’t see him over pursue, and he does a very good job with contain. He has quick hands and good hand use, showing the ability to shed blocks quickly. Lewis has the ability to get penetration and be disruptive in the run game. He is a very good pursuit player and takes consistently good angles to the ball, showing the burst to catch plays from behind.
As a pass rusher, he can use speed or moves, as well as push the pocket. When using a speed rush, he has the flexibility to dip his shoulder and get under his opponent. He can use his hands well and shows good rip and swim moves. With Lewis’ athleticism, he can redirect very well and does outside-in and inside-out moves equally well. He also does a good job with stunts, working well with the defensive tackle. Lewis shows a good burst off of blocks to the quarterback. The one thing Lewis has to improve on is his snap reaction. There are times in every game I viewed where he was the last lineman off the ball. Once he comes out of his stance, he is very quick and explosive.
Right now I see Lewis as a pure 4-3 defensive end. Although he has played some downs on his feet and has been used some to drop into coverage, I don’t see a guy who will be able to play on his feet at the NFL level. With his frame, he may be able to bulk up and play the 5-technique in a 3-4 — but that might be a stretch. As a left end in a 4-3, he can be a very solid NFL player. If he keeps playing the way he did the past two seasons, Lewis looks like the type that could be a mid-to-late first-round pick. If he keeps improving and works out well then he could go even higher, but I don’t see a top-10-type player at this time.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/lists/2017/06/21/03e76ebe917240c484d312f680911b8d/index.xml?page=5

Last edited:
ILB Josey Jewell, Iowa 6-1 234

Combine Results:
Arm - 32
Hand - 10
40 - 4.82
Bench - 18
Vertical - 33.0
Broad - 9'9"
3 Cone - 6.80
20 yd. shuttle - 4.27
60 yd. shuttle - 11.52

Strengths
Eyes work fast. Initial play diagnose and trigger to the ball is immediate. Film junkie who recognizes blocking schemes and adjusts accordingly. Always flowing downhill looking to make plays near line of scrimmage. Quick recovery against play-action and misdirection. Plays ahead of work-up blocks. Flashes a strong burst to the ball and can close out runners if he's in the area. Pac-man tackler who owns a board full of high scores. Discipline, technique, and patience help him avoid missed and broken tackles. Launches compact build through target points and imposes force on ball-carrier. Well-schooled with hands in taking on blocks. Keeps pads square and leverages his gaps. Perceptive with a nose for screens. Reads quarterback and squeezes routes from zone. Has 24 passes defensed over the last three years.
Weaknesses
Doesn't have long limbs and loose frame. Lateral agility, change of direction and overall reactive athleticism is just average. Has some straight line speed but his short area foot quickness in mirroring play is nothing special. Gets lost behind defensive line when finding the football at times. Ducks head into initial take-on blocks. Can get engulfed by size and stuck on blocks. Will need to improve slipping blocks rather than taking them all on. Tight hips prevent fluid transitions in man coverage. Struggles to get early depth in his drops. Effort blitzer, but unlikely to win in that area on talent alone.
Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4
Sources Tell Us
"I like him a lot. I think he will run faster than people think for sure. Give me a guy with his mindset and instincts and I can sell him to a coaching staff even if he's not as big as they are looking for. His tape will win them over." - AFC Director of Scouting
NFL Comparison
Sean Lee
Bottom Line
On the borderline from a size standpoint, Jewell will have his detractors who may worry about whether he's big enough or fast enough to become a starter in the NFL. What I see on tape is a highly instinctive linebacker who combines physicality with a relentless motor to find his way into play after play. Jewell's consistent play speed and consistency as a tackle finisher could make him a future starter as an inside linebacker perfectly suited to the WILL spot in a 3-4.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/josey-jewell?id=2559819

Last edited:
OLB Skai Moore, South Carolina 6-2 226

Combine Results:
Arm - 32
Hand - 9 3/8
40 - 4.73
Bench - DNP
Vertical - 36.0
Broad - 9'9"
3 Cone - DNP
20 yd. shuttle - DNP
60 yd. shuttle - DNP

Strengths
Diagnoses and breaks on run direction shortly after snap. Eyes play past blockers in front of him. Possesses desired feel for the game. Keeps play-side shoulder uncovered on most engagements. Works to blocker's edge and makes it hard to center him up on second level. Triggers downhill into run fits rather than waiting for runners to find their way to him. Looks to find and run an alley to short-circuit outside run plays. Identifies screens and jumps them early. Instinctive and aware from zone coverage. Always squeezing pass targets. Used soft hands to haul in impressive total of 14 career interceptions.
Weaknesses
Undersized with thin frame. Heavy-legged with athletic limitations. Plays straight-legged causing slower lateral bursts in his chase. Play speed and tackle range are below average. Sluggish feet slow change of direction. Tall pad level causes issues with sinking and leveraging his gap when taking on second level blocks. Could be man cover liability in matchups against running backs out of backfield. Missed 2016 due to neck fusion surgery for injury suffered in 2015 and re-aggravated in weight room the following spring.
Draft Projection
Round 7/PFA
Bottom Line
Moore has great football intelligence and is highly instinctive which has lead to impressive productivity in each of his four years at South Carolina. However, he lacks size for the inside and strong-side linebacker spots and the athleticism and man cover skills for the weak-side spot. Moore's limitations would doom most prospects, but his consistent production in the SEC could foreshadow an ability to find a role as an NFL backup if his medicals pan out.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/skai-moore?id=2560008

Raised in South Florida, Skai Moore said he was overlooked in high school and had to prove people wrong. He did at South Carolina and plans on doing the same at the next level.
The fifth-year Game****s linebacker practiced with his teammates at Jesuit High School in Tampa on Wednesday morning as he prepares for his final game in a USC uniform.
“It’s been a long process for sure, but it goes by quick even with my fifth-year deal. I’ve been sitting around thinking about it,” Moore said. “I was an overlooked guy. Down in South Florida a lot of guys are overlooked. I had a chip on my shoulder coming in and always wanted to prove people wrong.”

7_7582497.jpg

(Photo: Ryan Bethea, 247Sports)
A thin, 215-pound linebacker coming out of high school, a three-star prospect by 247Sports Composite in the Class of 2013, Moore de-committed from Rutgers, chose South Carolina and went on to lead his team in tackles and earned Freshman All-SEC and Second-Team Freshman All-American (by 247Sports) accolades.
His tackling prowess never stopped. Four years later, he has a 13-tackle lead over teammate TJ Brunson for the team lead with 60 minutes of football left to play. As long as that holds when he plays Michigan in the Outback Bowl on New Year’s Day, he’ll become just the 15th player in college football history to lead his team in tackles for four seasons.
“It means a lot, it’s definitely a big accomplishment. Of all the players that have played college football, only 15 guys, that’s something big,” Moore said. “I think being an overlooked guy people think I was too small to play the position and play in this league. I feel I proved people wrong.”
Moore has stated multiple times this fall he is glad he decided to return for his senior season after recovering from neck surgery. He is also one interception away from breaking the school record. He currently shares the 14-interception record with Bo Davies.
He will return to the Miami area after the Outback Bowl to begin training for the NFL, fully confident he is capable of being a weakside linebacker as a pro player. He’s heard some say as to where he projects to be selected in April’s NFL Draft.
“I’ve heard a couple things from different sources, some mid-round stuff. It only takes one team to really like me. Whichever team that picks me is going to get a good one for sure,” Moore said.
Whichever NFL hat he puts on, his mind will be set on proving 31 other teams wrong.
“I like having to prove people wrong.”
https://247sports.com/college/south...ier-loss-to-Missouri-with-64-54-win-114344724

Last edited:
SS Terrell Edmunds, Virginia Tech 6-0 217

Combine Results:
Arm - 32 3/4
Hand - 10 1/2
40 - 4.47
Bench - DNP
Vertical - 41.5
Broad - 11'2"
3 Cone - DNP
20 yd. shuttle - DNP
60 yd. shuttle - DNP

One of the most intriguing defenders in this year’s class, Edmunds’ massive frame, athleticism and versatility should have defensive coordinators across the league standing on the table. Edmunds can play off the ball or on the edge, making him a dangerous weapon, regardless of scheme.
He’s still fairly raw, so expect him to take some time to reach his full potential at the next level. But if a team can be patient with him while he rotates into the starting lineup and polishes up on the finer points of the game, they payoff could be huge in the long run.
http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/12/31/tremaine-edmunds-nfl-draft-profile/

Last edited:
FS Godwin Igwebuike, Northwestern 5-11 213

Combine Results:
Arm - 31 1/4
Hand - 9 3/4
40 - 4.47
Bench - 19
Vertical - 35.5
Broad - 10'8"
3 Cone - 6.56
20 yd. shuttle - 4.12
60 yd. shuttle - 10.81

Godwin Igwebuike has been a contributor to Northwestern’s defense since his Freshman season. Throughout his career he has totaled 6 interceptions which includes a 3 interception game during that Freshman year.
However, his game has a few holes that will be exploited at the next level. Igwebuike doesn’t show a good feel for the game and appears to be guessing a lot. He often finds himself in no-man’s land with no receiver in his area.
There are situations where he immediate runs to an area of the field which is away from the play. It’s obvious that he isn’t reading keys and just guessing. A few of his interceptions have come where he guessed right.
However, this type of play results in more open receivers than it does turnovers. It makes him an unreliable player.
Igwebuike is a solid run defender who makes reliable tackles. He routinely takes proper angles to the ball and will hustle to the ball. Igwebuike isn’t afraid to attack the line of scrimmage and take on blockers.
He needs to do a better job remaining honest on play action as he does get sucked up into the line at times. This again goes back to his struggles reading and identifying the play.
Overall, it’s hard to give Igwebuike a good draft grade based on his game tape. His best quality is his effort and hustle. He does flash some quick short-area burst, but overall he doesn’t stand out as an athlete. In fact, he doesn’t stand out at all expect when he guesses right.
https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/1...-northwestern-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Last edited:
CB Tarvarus McFadden, Florida St. 6-2 204

Combine Results:
Arm - 32 1/2
Hand - 10 3/8
40 - 4.67
Bench - DNP
Vertical - 38.5
Broad - 10'1"
3 Cone - DNP
20 yd. shuttle - DNP
60 yd. shuttle - DNP

Tarvarus McFadden features excellent length for the cornerback position. He uses his long arms to routinely get his hands on the football. McFadden’s best attitude is his ball skills which results in a lot of takeaways.
He does a great job quickly getting his head around and tracking the football. This allows him to get in proper position to attack the football. In fact, he often finds himself in better position to come down with the ball than the wide receiver.
McFadden also features excellent hands with the ability to high point the ball and pluck it away from his frame. This ability to haul in a high number of interceptions is something every defensive coordinator covets.
He’s a solid athlete with the ability to click and close on the receiver. However, he’s at his best when he’s locked in man coverage. This is what allows him to get the most of his ball skills.
The one concern is that McFadden will get beaten deep from time to time. He needs to prove he has the long speed needed to keep pace with quicker targets. McFadden also struggles keeping in-phase with the receiver.
This is often the case for longer cornerbacks who struggle changing direction. It could be something that limits his scheme versatility.
McFadden needs to show more tenacity when supporting the run. He’s a capable tackler, but doesn’t always give a 100% effort. There are a lot of situations where he slowly approaches the ball carrier. However, when he’s focused it’s a different story.
Florida State often asks McFadden to blitz from this cornerback spot. He features the burst and snap awareness to make this a part of his game at the next level.
Overall, McFadden is a highly talented prospect with tons of upside. His ball skills are rare and make him someone NFL teams will covet. However, he needs to play with more consistency and show more effort versus the run.
https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/0...florida-state-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Last edited:
QB Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma St. 6-4 235

Combine Results:
Arm - 32 3/8
Hand - 9 1/8
40 - 4.90
Bench - DNP
Vertical - 26
Broad - DNP
3 Cone - DNP
20 yd. shuttle - DNP

Strengths
Great size and stands tall in the pocket giving him his true height as a passer. Does a good job of letting routes develop and wide receivers clear traffic. Slides in pocket for clean launch points and is rarely a static target for rushers. Keeps eyes trained downfield when sliding around pocket. Got rid of the ball quicker and cut his sacks this year. Willing to throw in front of safeties and attack over top of linebackers in intermediate portion of field. Has steadily improved each season and showed full command of the offense this year. Saw 10 percent of his dropbacks turn into 25-plus yard completions. Puts air under his deep throws and gives receivers a chance to make plays. Reads safeties and moves to his progressions accordingly. Ran zone reads around endzone and finished with 17 rushing touchdowns during career. Willing to drop his head and go get what he needs.
Weaknesses
Over-strides at times. Rarely drives lower body through the throw causing ball to sail and float. May not generate enough velocity to beat ball-hawking corners who strangle passing windows. Field-side outs will be a challenge. Needs throws to stay on schedule. Needs to throw with better timing and placement on comeback and outs. Defaults to off-platform throws when he has time to step and deliver. Ball placement and decision making can run askew when forced to scramble from pocket. Ball will come out wobbly at times. Inexperienced as rollout passer. Benefitted from ball-winning targets downfield. Wasn't asked to get through many progressions in the offense. Has had ball security issues as a starter.
Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3
Sources Tell Us
"If you spoke with ten different scouts you would get at least four different opinions about him. I've just seen too many of those system quarterbacks struggle to make it in the league so I'm hesitant to buy in. He has gotten better this year" -- NFC team regional scout
NFL Comparison
Christian Ponder
Bottom Line
Pocket quarterback with good size who has shown consistent improvement as a passer. Rudolph is more of a downfield, play-action passer than a quarterback who can win with precision and arm strength. He's a capable field reader who has the ability to operate with timing which will be important since his arm can be dull at times. Rudolph could be an early backup with the potential of becoming an average to below average starter in the league.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/mason-rudolph?id=2559942

Last edited:
I try to like Rudolph but I keep thinking, eh.
I do not like the offense that Gundy runs. I do not think it prepares the QB for the NFL. I am not saying Rudolph can not overcome that, but it makes it more difficult. But, I might add, it is not his job to prepare QBS for the NFL. It is his job to win football games.

Last edited:
RB(HB) Jaylen Samuels, North Carolina St. 5-11 223

Combine Non-Invitee

Strengths
Provides roster flexibility thanks to his unique versatility. True "all-purpose" player. Used as zone-scheme runner, on jet sweeps, bubble screens, at slot receiver, outside receiver, and in "Wildcat" this season. Proved he could handle some running back duties this season. Had success using his size and effort in finding paydirt as goalline running back. Can make first tackler miss in space. Active with off-hand to swipe away arm tackles. Has intelligence to process expansive, individual game plan and take it to the field. Can separate from linebackers looking to cover him from slot. Able to drop low and snare low throws. Has carried more weight in the past and has the frame to do that again if necessary. Provides kick cover talent and has experience returning kickoffs.
Weaknesses
Considered a hybrid player, but lacks a defined position. Tape doesn't show enough tenacity to help running game as an H-back. Play speed and short area quickness are average. Usually gets what is blocked as a running back. Need to see more vertical push into his routes. Tight hips prevent sharp cuts as running back or receiver. Routes lack purpose and route-running is raw. Piled on catch production with bubble screens, shovel passes, and hitch routes. Struggles to pull in throws outside his frame. Focus appears to be an issue. Has too many drops and double-catches as a receiver.
Draft Projection
Rounds 4-5
Sources Tell Us
"Here is the problem I'm having in writing my report. Does he have any special talent or is he just a player who is used in a variety of roles? Is he really, really good at any of his roles or just versatile? That can be the difference between going in the third round or the fifth round." -- NFC team area scout
Bottom Line
Some may see Samuels as a valuable hybrid talent, while others may see a player who offers roster flexibility but lacks a position where he can win consistently. Samuels isn't a tight end and has to prove he can handle blocking duties well enough to be a fullback. He will, however, appeal to teams looking to disguise their attacks with more diversified personnel groupings. Samuels best fit may be with a zone-scheme team as a RB/FB with the ability to play slot receiver and become a core special teamer.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/jaylen-samuels?id=2559930

Last edited:
WR Jake Wieneke, South Dakota St. 6-4 221

Could not find any 2017 tape

Combine Results:
Arm - 33
Hand - 9 7/8
40 - 4.67
Bench - 9
Vertical - 34.0
Broad - 9'6"
3 Cone - 7.24
20 yd. shuttle - 4.37
60 yd. shuttle - 11.78

Strengths
Fade route winner who becomes substantially more dangerous the closer he gets to the goal line. Has great size and length and lives for the jump balls. Idolized Randy Moss growing up and uses same well-timed leaps and high-point ball skills to pluck it away from cornerbacks. Runs smooth, well-crafted routes. Shows cornerbacks a sudden burst right before getting to the top of his route in order to drive them off of his break and into a position of retreat. Makes quality adjustments when his path is impaired. Has learned to utilize route leverage to create accessible catch points. Outstanding ball tracker who operates with ready hands. Has ability to run a full route tree. Has size and length to stay connected longer when blocking on the perimeter.
Weaknesses
Below average snap quickness. Play speed is dull getting into his routes. Will be unable to threaten cornerbacks with his below average long speed. Needs a runway to get up to his top speed. High safeties should be able to range and help against him on deep throws. Benefitted from an abundance of free releases. May lack sudden feel to shake NFL press coverage. Corners can find and feel him quickly even when he gets a clean, outside release. Below average playmaker with the ball in his hands. Sees too many deep throws fall just out of reach. Has focus drops when creeping into the safeties yard over the middle.
Draft Projection
Rounds 4-5
Bottom Line
Between the 20-yard lines, Wieneke looks like an NFL backup at best, but his size and ability to threaten in the red zone will have teams taking notice. Wieneke does have a feel for creating some operating room through route quality, but his draft stock will likely hinge on how he runs at the Combine. Wieneke may find his niche as a "big slot" creating matchup issues for smaller cornerbacks.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/jake-wieneke?id=2559852

Last edited:
TE Hayden Hurst, South Carolina 6-4 250

Combine Results:
Arm - 32 3/4
Hand - 9 3/4
40 - 4.67
Bench - DNP
Vertical -31.5
Broad - 10'0"
3 Cone - 7.19
20 yd. shuttle - 4.37
60 yd. shuttle - 12.15

Strengths
Good combination of size and quickness. Moved all over field. Rabid and rowdy in his play. Quick release into routes. Athletic with above-average play speed for the position. Willing and capable pass catcher on all three levels. Has the feet and acceleration to burst open from breaks. Separates from garden-variety linebackers in coverage. Instant opener when sinking into zone holes. Hands are sticky and ball focus is elite. Had one drop against 100 career catches. Reliable inside the hash marks. Makes subtle moves to shield catch-point from linebackers. Secures through contact. Runs with power and balance after the catch. Will seek out collisions rather than running out of bounds. Has frame and grit to improve as in-line blocker. Capable move blocker able to adjust to targets.
Weaknesses
Will be a 25-year-old rookie when next season starts. Appears to be giving route clues to defenders at times. Doesn't manipulate defender often enough from breaks and stems. Out-breaking routes have been getting jumped for two consecutive seasons. Had safeties run his routes on various occasions. Will need work as in-line blocker. Hands fly out wide into first contact. Can improve his play strength at point of attack if he gets his hand placement right. Ducks head into contact. Won't always look to improve positioning with quality footwork after contact.
Draft Projection
Round 2
Sources Tell Us
"He's a grown man out there. No, he is literally a grown man. I love watching him play but he's 24 now so I think he's maxed out. He is who he's going to be physically so now we have to see how much better he gets as a football player." -- NFC Player Personnel Executive
NFL Comparison
Dallas Clark
Bottom Line
Hurst's initial opportunity at athletic stardom came up short in baseball, but he has his second shot and plays like every down could be his last. His fearless play demeanor combined with size, strength and athleticism make him a well-rounded prospect with the versatility to line up all over the field. He's sure-handed and could become a young quarterback's safety blanket if he improves elements of his route running. He should see early snaps and has the ability to become a good combination tight end.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/hayden-hurst?id=2560072

Last edited:
OC James Daniels, Iowa 6-3 306

James Daniels #78

Combine Results:
Arm - 33 3/4
Hand - 9 1/2
40 - DNP
Bench - 21
Vertical - 30.5
Broad - 9'0"
3 Cone - 7.29

Strengths
Elite movement talent for the position. Smooth, fluid and flexible. Good snap to step quickness. Initial contact is balanced and well-timed. Outpace defenders laterally and reaches three-techniques all day long. Slides feet into position and swivels hips to secure the block. Easy second-level climber with agility for high connection rate. Takes smart angles. Can beat inside linebackers to the spot and get them sealed. Has reactive athleticism to open hips and redirect against slants on his backside. Snatches and mirrors for block centering and sustaining on work-up blocks. Finishes. Technically sound and works well with his guards. Pass sets with wide base and plus balance. Rarely caught lunging or over-extending against athletic rushers. Has foot quickness to stay mirrored and handle counters. Rolls hips under him for quality anchor.
Weaknesses
Played lighter than he needs to be as a pro. Has to continue to add functional mass to his frame. Power at the point of attack is average. Bull-rushers make him work overtime to maintain his anchor. Will struggle to recover if nose guards get hands on him first. Target points can be too high in pass sets causing hands to slide up and off opponent. Gets in a hurry to climb on top of second level linebacker and will leave initial block unsecured for guard next to him. Scheme didn't allow for much drive blocking.
Draft Projection
Round 2
Sources Tell Us
"The Iowa guys are always going to be quick and proficient, but you have to see them tested against power because they are usually going to be a little smaller, too. This guy has decent size and I think he's got pretty good functional power. He would come in and challenge for best center in our division right away." -- NFC team college scouting director
NFL Comparison
Chris Chester
Bottom Line
Daniels is a fluid mover with tremendous initial quickness to win positioning on most every zone block he's asked to make -- both on the first and second levels. His height, weight and arm length numbers at the Combine will be critical in either solidifying his draft slot or potentially dropping him a round. Some teams might see him as a zone-only center, but he may be strong enough to fit in with other blocking schemes. He needs to get stronger, but he's a plus run blocker and pass protector with a chance to become a Pro Bowl starter.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/james-daniels?id=2560048

Last edited:
OT Brandon Parker, North Carolina A&T 6-8 305

Combine Results:
Arm - 35
Hand - 9 3/4
40 - 5.40(10yd - 1.83)
Bench - DNP
Vertical - 28.5
Broad - 9'5"
3 Cone - 7.82

Strengths
Continues to fill out his frame with additional muscle and has very long arms. Kick slides still need work, but there is enough athletic ability there to work with him as a left tackle on the next level. Keeps hands tucked and ready in his pass sets. Well-timed punches can distract pass rushers from their rush plan. Four-year starter who has played with consistency from year-to-year. Looks fairly smooth when pulling or moving in space. On second level, shows some ability to sink hips and redirect his weight to adjust to a moving target. Adequate at getting out of his stance and up to second level blocks. Adept at using his length to aid in block recovery. Coach's son who first learned offensive line play from his dad.
Weaknesses
Fails to get the most out of his arm length. Has hands ****ed and ready, but doesn't always cut them loose in pass pro. Needs to improve his punch-timing and punch placement. Can improve high center of gravity with better knee bend. Will need to widen out his base to improve balance. Doesn't keep enough weight on inside foot and gives up an open inside lane to strong inside counters. Arms are long but hands are monotone. Footwork in his mirroring is uneven. Will struggle against rushers with strong, active hands who can swipe his punch and eliminate his length. Body control is slightly below average.
Draft Projection
Rounds 5-6
NFL Comparison
Jylan Ware
Bottom Line
Parker's high center of gravity creates some athletic challenges for him, but he possesses the physical traits that teams are willing to draft and coach up. Despite his college experience, Parker is a bit of a project who will need to continue to work on his technique and core strength before he is ready to handle NFL pass rushers.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/brandon-parker?id=2559840

Last edited:
DT Greg Gaines, Washington 6-2 322

Combine Non-Invitee

Washington interior defender Greg Gaines’ premier performance last season was masked by his teammate and fellow PFF favorite Vita Vea. However, Gaines still managed to finish the 2016 season ranked No. 3 among returning Pac-12 interior defenders in terms of overall grade (84.0).
Gaines bested all returning Pac-12 interior defenders, including Vea, when playing the run, as he earned a conference-high 86.4 run defense grade in 2016.
Recording 22 stops on 249 snaps against the run, Gaines ranked No. 4 in run stop percentage (8.8 percent) among returning Pac-12 defensive tackles.
Gaines has far surpassed expectations with the Huskies since joining the team as a three-star recruit out of California in 2014, posting an average overall grade of 81.9 over the course of his 27 games (20 starts) in his collegiate career.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ters-2017-as-one-of-the-top-dis-in-the-pac-12

No Longer Overlooked, Gaines Is Earning Deserved Recognition

Warren Sapp was listed at 6-foot-1. So were John Randle and Casey Hampton. Aaron Donald, Geno Atkins, Jurell Casey and Kyle Williams were all Pro Bowlers last season. They're also 6-1, every single one of them.

So when La Habra (Calif.) High School senior Greg Gaines began to realize that he would never achieve his dream of playing Pacific-12 Conference football because he was too small, the 6-foot-2 defensive tackle took umbrage with the simplified
scouting report.?
"In college, there are a lot of taller defensive tackles," he said recently. "But if you look in the NFL, everyone is 6-2 (or) 6-foot, pretty much my height."
Despite a productive prep career, Gaines went virtually unnoticed by Pac-12 schools and got useless advice from some of the recruiters from big schools all over the country.
"(One Power 5) coach pretty much told me: 'If you were two inches taller, you'd be a top-5 recruit in the country,'" Gaines recalled. "I was like, 'That sucks, I guess.'"
The too-small Gaines hasn't grown an inch since his senior year in high school. But he's getting the last laugh now.
Since committing to play at Boise State in the winter of 2013, Gaines followed coach Chris Petersen and defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski on their westward trek to the University of Washington and has since proven that size doesn't always matter.
Gaines was a full-time starter for the Pac-12 Conference champion Huskies last season while earning honorable mention all-conference honors. Any doubts about whether he could play in the Pac-12 were crushed by the sophomore with the 322-pound frame.
"I just like beating up on these other Pac-12 guys," Gaines said, "and showing these coaches what they missed out on."
Kwiatkowski, one of the few college recruiters who believed Gaines had what it took, is somewhat baffled by the lack of attention that the La Habra, Calif., native drew from college scouts while in high school.
"He was athletic, explosive. I thought he was a tough kid," Kwiatkowski said. "I thought he was going to grind at it. I knew he was very strong. Throw all that together, and he's the perfect d-tackle."
Having proven the doubters wrong, Gaines enters his junior year with bigger aspirations. He now finds himself on the radar of NFL scouts and has become somewhat of a celebrity on the UW campus.
"It's definitely kind of weird," said Gaines, whose 8.0 tackles for loss ranked third on the team in 2016. "I came in as an unknown recruit. All those guys, the fans were following all the starred recruits, and I came out of nowhere. Nobody really knew who I was. It's weird being talked about and stuff."
Gaines also had a noteworthy offseason in that he got married, went to Hawaii for a honeymoon and had to rehab the significant injury of his college career. Gaines missed spring practices due to a shoulder and pectoral injury but was back in time for the start of fall camp.
With all of that behind him, Gaines went into the 2017 season with his eyes on the prize. He spent a good part of the fall talking about getting the Huskies back to the brink of a national championship – and beyond.
"I'm looking forward to making another run at the title and the national championship," he told reporters after the Huskies' first fall practice on July 31.
Taking the next step meant Gaines was going to have to work even harder, and that was a lot to ask out of the gym rat and lm-room mainstay. Gaines picked up good habits while at La Habra High and carried them over to his UW career.
"Greg is one of those guys who's a workhorse," defensive line coach Ikaika Malloe said. "The guy cannot stop working. He's always trying to be the best that he can ever be. His competitiveness is really what makes him really good. You never have to tell that guy to get going. At times, you have to tell him to slow it down."
Part of that drive comes from the chip Gaines carries on his shoulder after being an overlooked high school recruit. But he developed his work ethic even before playing in his first high school game.
"I think it's just how I was raised," Gaines said. "My parents taught me to do the best I can and to always do my best."
Gaines has proven to be a pretty quick study since his redshirt season, and he begins his fourth year at UW with the gridiron acumen of a grad student. One might say that Gaines has already earned his Masters in football.
"He's actually become one of our teachers," said Malloe, who is in his second season at UW. "He knows the playbook better than I do, and he knows technique better than I do."
Added Kwiatkowski: "As you get older, you understand what offenses are doing and their tendencies. You have to be able to anticipate what you're going to see."
Gaines came into the season planning on assuming even more of a leadership role on a defense that had four starters drafted by NFL teams, including three who went in the second round. The Huskies still had plenty of talent coming back, but matching the production of the 2016 defense was going to be a tall order.
Gaines can expect more of a spotlight on him now that he's an upperclassmen and one of the most recognizable players on the UW defense.
His unexpected production as a third-year junior last season has Gaines drawing the attention of NFL scouts as well as opposing offensive coordinators.
Can the kid who was once considered too short to play big-time college football really be thinking about the NFL?
"Not really," he said. "I didn't even know if going to college was even a possibility at first. I just came on the team and ended up being pretty good at it."
Rather than trying to be the next John Randle or Aaron Donald, this 6-foot-1 defensive lineman is just concerned with being the best Husky that he can be.
"I really want to have a good season," he said in August. "I have a lot of agents trying to talk to me, but I'm trying to ignore them and focus on what I have to do. I don't even know why I would need them.
"We haven't even started the season, and I'm focused on me, so what would I need an agent for? I've got to get there first before I talk to those guys."
http://gohuskies.com/news/2017/9/13...d-gaines-is-earning-deserved-recognition.aspx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom