***2018 Mlb Thread** | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***2018 Mlb Thread**

Another comeback W for the Yanks. I had to leave home after the 10th so I missed the last of it. Sucks to miss the end of a edge of your seat game.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rustrated-unsigned-bryce-harper-manny-machado

Interested to hear some takes on this. This is the second year in a row that free agency has been ground to a halt. Why do you think that is? Competitive balance in baseball has gotten really bad. Teams that don't feel like they can compete with the Red Sox, Cubs, Astros, Yankees, Dodgers, etc aren't even pretending like they're trying to win. The Reds seemed like they were getting close but said '**** it' and blew the damn thing up. Royals seemed to throw in the towel as well. Plenty of money to spend and good players to spend it on ... but nada. The tank is on in baseball ... hard.

The Cubs and Astros have made an impression. 'The Process' there took a bit longer but man did it work and clubs have taken notice. I could see owners thinking their team is so far off from competing with the big dogs that now is a good time to regroup and focus on a youth movement. Can't say I disagree. Are the Padres a Bryce Harper away from contending? Keep dreaming. It's like teams saw the stat of the fins being .500 for the past 25 years and wanted no chance of taking part in such historic irrelevance.

Basketball isn't far off but will be a non story until Durant or LeBron or whatever superstar is still a FA sitting at home when the new season approaches.

On a side note, how bout that Yanks pitching staff? Good lawdy. I hated to see Robertson go but they've replaced him and then some.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rustrated-unsigned-bryce-harper-manny-machado

Interested to hear some takes on this. This is the second year in a row that free agency has been ground to a halt. Why do you think that is? Competitive balance in baseball has gotten really bad. Teams that don't feel like they can compete with the Red Sox, Cubs, Astros, Yankees, Dodgers, etc aren't even pretending like they're trying to win. The Reds seemed like they were getting close but said '**** it' and blew the damn thing up. Royals seemed to throw in the towel as well. Plenty of money to spend and good players to spend it on ... but nada. The tank is on in baseball ... hard.

The Cubs and Astros have made an impression. 'The Process' there took a bit longer but man did it work and clubs have taken notice. I could see owners thinking their team is so far off from competing with the big dogs that now is a good time to regroup and focus on a youth movement. Can't say I disagree. Are the Padres a Bryce Harper away from contending? Keep dreaming. It's like teams saw the stat of the fins being .500 for the past 25 years and wanted no chance of taking part in such historic irrelevance.

Basketball isn't far off but will be a non story until Durant or LeBron or whatever superstar is still a FA sitting at home when the new season approaches.

On a side note, how bout that Yanks pitching staff? Good lawdy. I hated to see Robertson go but they've replaced him and then some.

honestly im not a huge baseball expert but ive followed it more this offseason because my redbirds were first in talks of looking into manny or Bryce. I think MM is more of will he give the effort to justify that, his bat is definitely worth the contract but is his attitude, and hows his attitude going to get once he gets his guaranteed "F-- you money" as we call it when a player signs big then doesn't give as much of a ****. honestly with BH, I think he's a good player, but declining, partially due to injuries. I think he is more hype than he is elite now a days. Mike Trout is a million times the player of BH but you never hear much about Trout outside of the elite player. BH's agent was right in one aspect, unlike MM, the money you spend on BH you're going to make back in sales alone. I think a lot of the big names want the guaranteed contracts now pushing like 10 years. I honestly cant think of even one 8 year plus contract that has panned out. other than guaranteeing yourself more long term money, honestly you would think it would benefit the player more to take a 4 year 160 million dollar contract (because I feel you would be able to get a higher annual return for the shorter less team risk contract) and then in 4 ears when free agency comes back around and the bar is raised, hit on a 4 year 180 million dollar contract. as opposed to giving youself the 10 years 350 million.

I'm sure a lot of this is just agents trying to milk every penny for themselves knowing wherever the two land they are going to be welcomed with open arms and a starting position, even if it is opening day that they sign. all I know is that the redbirds are going to the world series this year so don't care about any kind of cubbie talk

Honestly I don't think either Machado or harper are even close to being worth the contracts they are looking for.

Honestly I don't think either Machado or harper are even close to being worth the contracts they are looking for.

Depends on the situation but Harper's decline at the plate raises an eyebrow even given his age. Machado needs to stay at 3rd.

Even the Giants are now playing Tank Commander and should be in the shitter for the next few years....which is complete bullshit, given the fact that they've made a zillion dollars the last 8 years or so and will continue to sell out as long as Oracle Park and SoMa are the cool places to be in the city.

****ing dumb as ****.

Back
Top Bottom