2018 Preseason Week 1 - Game Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by J. David Wannyheimer, Aug 9, 2018.

1. finatical

finatical Scout Team

Wanted to see more of the first team offense, Tannehill and gang were looking great until...What? Are you kidding me? Another penalty by the Oline? Way to go Juwan James....They opened with 3 passes instead of running plays and were crisp. It was fun to watch before the penalty that put them back with 1st and 20. They still managed to get the first down. Then Tanny led Amendola too far on a pass and not sure if Ballage sat down where he was supposed to on the next pass. And of course, Sanders missed the 3 point attempt ( it was a 53 yarder but? )...smh...I turned off the TV after that...lol Not really, but that could have been a great opening drive. Tampa played their rapist / thief / crotch grabbing QB against our 2's for way too long, left in other starters, for awhile. Ford, Ballage (other than trying to extend a good run and fumbling), Minkah, Smythe, and Baker all played well in their first games. Gesicki easily could have scored his first TD if Fales did not throw it so far out of bounds (somehow Gesicki almost still caught it..wth)... I was surprised the defense gave up so much ground. I do realize we were very vanilla and didn't play most of our playmakers and Tampa played more 1's and 2's much longer than us. But when Bryce Petty drove down the field to take the lead with just a couple of minutes left ( He actually looked good tonight ), and our D gave no effort to stop them it was Disheartening. I get it, players trying to make the team at the end...It still S$%3cked. Go Fins!!!

dahlmarino likes this.
  2. GUH-sick-EE

GUH-sick-EE Well-Known Member

For those freaking out about our D in preseason game 1 :rolleyes:....

Jones did not play
    Wake did not play
    Hayes did not play
    Quinn played 6 snaps
    Alonso played 6 snaps
    McCain played 6 snaps
    Howard played 14 snaps
    McDonald played 14 snaps

...meanwhile the Bucs kept their 1st team in much longer, hell Winston played all the way till halftime!

Calm down. o_O

NBP81, fishfanmiami, Ray R and 9 others like this.
  3. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

Miami served up baked chicken and vanilla ice cream, Tampa served a spicy enchilada and hot fudge sunday. Y'all'd rather eat from Tampa's plate tonight, admit it.

From the people I've read that have attended practice, this performance mimics the practice performances of this team.

4. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs ಠ_ಠ Finheaven VIP Donator

Put me into the category of "not going to hurl myself off of a building for the performance of a preseason game"

fishfanmiami, joenhre and Ray R like this.
  5. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

If defenses play vanilla then why didn't our offense "tear it up"?

6. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Not sure what some of you expected to happen last night. Preseason heroes means jack crap.
    The whole point of preseason is to get a feel for being back on the field, stretch your legs and get your bearings. We've been here too many times....dominating in ps and then horse manure in the season. Individual readiness of specific players is all that matters to me. Baker, mink, gisecki, ballage, drake...etc didn't disappoint.

7. Jssanto

Jssanto Well-Known Member

What was it?

8. Jssanto

I agree that preseason is about individual players, who works well together, timing for starters, etc. However, it sure would be nice to dominant someone.

9. Jssanto

Do we know anything about Hayes injury? Hull, I hate injuries for any team, looks like a worry. We shall see.

10. rvz1020

rvz1020 Well-Known Member

Burke sucks. He sucked last year and he will suck this year. Gase should be fired at end of season if defense is atrocious again. He was the one who promoted Burke instead of going out and getting someone whose done it before and done it well. It’s going to be a long year watching our defense.

11. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Nice write up. The one thing I don't agree with is Ballage(the bad part you wrote). Yes the fumble was bad but other than that he ran hard and realy was probably our best player on offense last night. I think he'll be fine.

12. FINOMINAL

FINOMINAL Scout Team

I want Gase to coach these guys up to putting points up no matter who is playing every chance they get. Bottom line: score a lot. Three and outs, inconsistency and lack of execution does carry over into the regular season. We need a culture of points. The Steelers and Green Bay put up 30 with back ups. That culture starts now and we are starting with the same lack of scoring that we have had since Gase got here (and before that). Score points, that is all.

Martel13 and Superself like this.
  13. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Excellent summary. Thank you.

I wasn't able to watch the game so it is nice to see a simple, concise summary of what occurred last night.

I don't put a whole lot of weight in the preseason except to look for continuous improvement and fine tuning as the players develop their chemistry and mastery of the playbook. With the coaches keeping things simple, I am confident that the results are not always indicative of the ability and game planning.

Besides, didn't the Lions go 4-0 in the preseason in 2008 when they finished 0-16?

Ray R likes this.
  14. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It's a glorified practice.

Nice to have football back.

The fumble from Ballage was awful, that play really stuck out, and Wilson looked like he really wanted it out there too.

The offensive line held up well.

I get excited for the first preseason game then remember it's the first preseason game.

15. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs ಠ_ಠ Finheaven VIP Donator

Yawn. Lost starting MLB in preseason. Disgruntled Suh doing his own thing. Corner depth depleted with Lippett injury. Had a SS starting at FS.