2018 Preseason Week 1 - Game Thoughts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 Preseason Week 1 - Game Thoughts

Wanted to see more of the first team offense, Tannehill and gang were looking great until...What? Are you kidding me? Another penalty by the Oline? Way to go Juwan James....They opened with 3 passes instead of running plays and were crisp. It was fun to watch before the penalty that put them back with 1st and 20. They still managed to get the first down. Then Tanny led Amendola too far on a pass and not sure if Ballage sat down where he was supposed to on the next pass. And of course, Sanders missed the 3 point attempt ( it was a 53 yarder but? )...smh...I turned off the TV after that...lol Not really, but that could have been a great opening drive. Tampa played their rapist / thief / crotch grabbing QB against our 2's for way too long, left in other starters, for awhile. Ford, Ballage (other than trying to extend a good run and fumbling), Minkah, Smythe, and Baker all played well in their first games. Gesicki easily could have scored his first TD if Fales did not throw it so far out of bounds (somehow Gesicki almost still caught it..wth)... I was surprised the defense gave up so much ground. I do realize we were very vanilla and didn't play most of our playmakers and Tampa played more 1's and 2's much longer than us. But when Bryce Petty drove down the field to take the lead with just a couple of minutes left ( He actually looked good tonight ), and our D gave no effort to stop them it was Disheartening. I get it, players trying to make the team at the end...It still S$%3cked. Go Fins!!!

For those freaking out about our D in preseason game 1 :rolleyes:....

Jones did not play
Wake did not play
Hayes did not play
Quinn played 6 snaps
Alonso played 6 snaps
McCain played 6 snaps
Howard played 14 snaps
McDonald played 14 snaps

...meanwhile the Bucs kept their 1st team in much longer, hell Winston played all the way till halftime!

Calm down. o_O

Miami served up baked chicken and vanilla ice cream, Tampa served a spicy enchilada and hot fudge sunday. Y'all'd rather eat from Tampa's plate tonight, admit it.

From the people I've read that have attended practice, this performance mimics the practice performances of this team.

Miami served up baked chicken and vanilla ice cream, Tampa served a spicy enchilada and hot fudge sunday. Y'all'd rather eat from Tampa's plate tonight, admit it.

From the people I've read that have attended practice, this performance mimics the practice performances of this team.

Put me into the category of "not going to hurl myself off of a building for the performance of a preseason game"

Not sure what some of you expected to happen last night. Preseason heroes means jack crap.
The whole point of preseason is to get a feel for being back on the field, stretch your legs and get your bearings. We've been here too many times....dominating in ps and then horse manure in the season. Individual readiness of specific players is all that matters to me. Baker, mink, gisecki, ballage, drake...etc didn't disappoint.

It's preseason. Therefor I won't judge. Preseason is all about evaluating the bottom of the roster and getting back into playing shape. The first time I'll worry is if this team goes out and lays an absolute egg in week 1 and gets blown out. That's when I'll worry
I agree that preseason is about individual players, who works well together, timing for starters, etc. However, it sure would be nice to dominant someone.

For those freaking out about our D in preseason game 1 :rolleyes:....

Jones did not play
Wake did not play
Hayes did not play
Quinn played 6 snaps
Alonso played 6 snaps
McCain played 6 snaps
Howard played 14 snaps
McDonald played 14 snaps

...meanwhile the Bucs kept their 1st team in much longer, hell Winston played all the way till halftime!

Calm down. o_O
Do we know anything about Hayes injury? Hull, I hate injuries for any team, looks like a worry. We shall see.

It's preseason. there are rarely teams that are going to unveil their blitz packages and do crazy stuff on D. Preseason defense is very vanilla.

Burke sucks. He sucked last year and he will suck this year. Gase should be fired at end of season if defense is atrocious again. He was the one who promoted Burke instead of going out and getting someone whose done it before and done it well. It’s going to be a long year watching our defense.

Without any preamble:

- It's preseason football, who cares?

- I'm going to miss Bob Griese when he retires from this.

- I like the changes they made to the uniforms. The orange highlights are an improvement.

- I don't mind the interview with Tom Garfinkel, but do we really need to see them standing around in the booth? You can let him talk and ask him about the parking situation while still showing us the awful third quarter pre-season football action that only psychos like me will sit down and watch.

DEFENSE

- The guys whose starting positions are secure looked bored and sluggish out there.

- Mike Hull injury looked bad. I hate this ****. Nothing kills my enjoyment of football being back more than seeing a guy get his knee shredded in a damn preseason game.

- Minkah Fitzpatrick flying across the screen like he was shot out of a cannon on a couple of back to back plays early in the game to break up passes was nice to see. Looked good when he was asked to play free safety, and then switched in at nickel CB later in the first half.

- Jerome Baker looked unsure of himself and like he was struggling to learn his assignments (often appeared confused between plays), but made two very nice open field tackles. Just need to see him show better understanding of the defense / what he needs to do in the play.

- Jonathan Woodard showed both a good motor and some playmaking ability. Vincent Taylor also looked very disruptive.

- Cameron Malveaux made the roster last season because he played hard and flashed in the preseason. Tonight, the only time I noticed him was when he was being completely blown off of his spot. Especially on that Bucs touchdown.

- I am unimpressed by our secondary depth. Walt Aikens is a really good special teams player -- a leader on that unit -- but he is a dreadful safety. Likewise, Mo Smith didn't impress me.

- #40 Calhoun got absolutely WORKED in the second half.

OFFENSE

- Looks like we are finally getting the no huddle / uptempo offense various coaches have been talking about for years.

- Mike Gesicki makes even horribly thrown incomplete passes exciting. If this guy fails, I won't be able to explain it.

- How often do you draft a big, physical, and extremely fast running back with soft hands, and come away most impressed... by his pass blocking? Well, Kalen Ballage impressed me with that tonight in the Dolphins' first series. He then very much failed to impress me by fumbling and also missing some wide open running lanes.

- Ryan Tannehill's movement with the ball / mobility in the pocket looked fine. Good, even. Now to get the accuracy back.

- I like Senorise Perry. He's competent depth and he's a physical runner. On a team that looks like it wants to run a finesse offense, and that just lost a very physical player in Jarvis Landry, I think there is a real need for someone like that.

- I also saw some good things from backup RB Buddy Howell... but he also needs to not put the football on the ground.

- I think the enigmatic Thomas Duarte has about a zero point one percent chance to make the roster, but I liked what I saw from him tonight. He was smooth as a receiving target and he made a couple of nice blocks.

- Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant on the field together with two TEs. Pretty interesting.

- Eric Smith, our backup RT, is a good football player. I hope he stays healthy this year. Sam Young struggled a little bit at LT, but I thought he was mostly okay. Isaac Asiata DESTROYED somebody on a run in the second half. That one stood out.

- I will not dogpile on Brock Osweiler. I ragged on the guy a lot before he was a Dolphin. Now that he is a Dolphin, I will let you guys do it. I will just say ONE THING in defense of Brock Osweiler, and I can't believe I'm going to do this. When you are stupidly tall -- six foot eight -- your windup throwing the football is going to take just a split second longer than a guy who is a few inches shorter. And that is absolutely going to make it just a little bit easier for defensive linemen to get their hands up to block the football. And it doesn't matter if you're 6'4" or 6'8", these big guys with long arms can still get their hands up in the passing lanes.

- 6th receiver: Isaiah Ford. Francis Owusu also showed up well tonight. Leonte Carroo? Polish that resume.

SPECIAL TEAMS

- I'm concerned about our kicking situation.

- Our return teams also didn't look particularly great. Penalties.

And that's all I got, folks.
Nice write up. The one thing I don't agree with is Ballage(the bad part you wrote). Yes the fumble was bad but other than that he ran hard and realy was probably our best player on offense last night. I think he'll be fine.

I want Gase to coach these guys up to putting points up no matter who is playing every chance they get. Bottom line: score a lot. Three and outs, inconsistency and lack of execution does carry over into the regular season. We need a culture of points. The Steelers and Green Bay put up 30 with back ups. That culture starts now and we are starting with the same lack of scoring that we have had since Gase got here (and before that). Score points, that is all.

Without any preamble:

- It's preseason football, who cares?

- I'm going to miss Bob Griese when he retires from this.

- I like the changes they made to the uniforms. The orange highlights are an improvement.

- I don't mind the interview with Tom Garfinkel, but do we really need to see them standing around in the booth? You can let him talk and ask him about the parking situation while still showing us the awful third quarter pre-season football action that only psychos like me will sit down and watch.

Excellent summary. Thank you.

I wasn't able to watch the game so it is nice to see a simple, concise summary of what occurred last night.

I don't put a whole lot of weight in the preseason except to look for continuous improvement and fine tuning as the players develop their chemistry and mastery of the playbook. With the coaches keeping things simple, I am confident that the results are not always indicative of the ability and game planning.

Besides, didn't the Lions go 4-0 in the preseason in 2008 when they finished 0-16?

It's a glorified practice.

Nice to have football back.

The fumble from Ballage was awful, that play really stuck out, and Wilson looked like he really wanted it out there too.

The offensive line held up well.

I get excited for the first preseason game then remember it's the first preseason game.

Burke sucks. He sucked last year and he will suck this year. Gase should be fired at end of season if defense is atrocious again. He was the one who promoted Burke instead of going out and getting someone whose done it before and done it well. It’s going to be a long year watching our defense.

Yawn. Lost starting MLB in preseason. Disgruntled Suh doing his own thing. Corner depth depleted with Lippett injury. Had a SS starting at FS.

Back
Top Bottom