2018 Preseason Week 1 - Game Thoughts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 Preseason Week 1 - Game Thoughts

Without any preamble:

- It's preseason football, who cares?

- I'm going to miss Bob Griese when he retires from this.

- I like the changes they made to the uniforms. The orange highlights are an improvement.

- I don't mind the interview with Tom Garfinkel, but do we really need to see them standing around in the booth? You can let him talk and ask him about the parking situation while still showing us the awful third quarter pre-season football action that only psychos like me will sit down and watch.

DEFENSE

- The guys whose starting positions are secure looked bored and sluggish out there.

- Mike Hull injury looked bad. I hate this ****. Nothing kills my enjoyment of football being back more than seeing a guy get his knee shredded in a damn preseason game.

- Minkah Fitzpatrick flying across the screen like he was shot out of a cannon on a couple of back to back plays early in the game to break up passes was nice to see. Looked good when he was asked to play free safety, and then switched in at nickel CB later in the first half.

- Jerome Baker looked unsure of himself and like he was struggling to learn his assignments (often appeared confused between plays), but made two very nice open field tackles. Just need to see him show better understanding of the defense / what he needs to do in the play.

- Jonathan Woodard showed both a good motor and some playmaking ability. Vincent Taylor also looked very disruptive.

- Cameron Malveaux made the roster last season because he played hard and flashed in the preseason. Tonight, the only time I noticed him was when he was being completely blown off of his spot. Especially on that Bucs touchdown.

- I am unimpressed by our secondary depth. Walt Aikens is a really good special teams player -- a leader on that unit -- but he is a dreadful safety. Likewise, Mo Smith didn't impress me.

- #40 Calhoun got absolutely WORKED in the second half.

OFFENSE

- Looks like we are finally getting the no huddle / uptempo offense various coaches have been talking about for years.

- Mike Gesicki makes even horribly thrown incomplete passes exciting. If this guy fails, I won't be able to explain it.

- How often do you draft a big, physical, and extremely fast running back with soft hands, and come away most impressed... by his pass blocking? Well, Kalen Ballage impressed me with that tonight in the Dolphins' first series. He then very much failed to impress me by fumbling and also missing some wide open running lanes.

- Ryan Tannehill's movement with the ball / mobility in the pocket looked fine. Good, even. Now to get the accuracy back.

- I like Senorise Perry. He's competent depth and he's a physical runner. On a team that looks like it wants to run a finesse offense, and that just lost a very physical player in Jarvis Landry, I think there is a real need for someone like that.

- I also saw some good things from backup RB Buddy Howell... but he also needs to not put the football on the ground.

- I think the enigmatic Thomas Duarte has about a zero point one percent chance to make the roster, but I liked what I saw from him tonight. He was smooth as a receiving target and he made a couple of nice blocks.

- Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant on the field together with two TEs. Pretty interesting.

- Eric Smith, our backup RT, is a good football player. I hope he stays healthy this year. Sam Young struggled a little bit at LT, but I thought he was mostly okay. Isaac Asiata DESTROYED somebody on a run in the second half. That one stood out.

- I will not dogpile on Brock Osweiler. I ragged on the guy a lot before he was a Dolphin. Now that he is a Dolphin, I will let you guys do it. I will just say ONE THING in defense of Brock Osweiler, and I can't believe I'm going to do this. When you are stupidly tall -- six foot eight -- your windup throwing the football is going to take just a split second longer than a guy who is a few inches shorter. And that is absolutely going to make it just a little bit easier for defensive linemen to get their hands up to block the football. And it doesn't matter if you're 6'4" or 6'8", these big guys with long arms can still get their hands up in the passing lanes.

- 6th receiver: Isaiah Ford. Francis Owusu also showed up well tonight. Leonte Carroo? Polish that resume.

SPECIAL TEAMS

- I'm concerned about our kicking situation.

- Our return teams also didn't look particularly great. Penalties.

And that's all I got, folks.

Good analysis.
Agree with a lot of what you said.
I noticed Eric Smith at backup RT looking good also.
But disagree on Jerome Baker.
I thought he showed a great noise for the ball.
Was all over the place making plays.
Had some rookie mistakes, but overall stood out.

It's hard to judge the O on the 1st QTR alone since the 1st QTR is our weakest QTR. Maybe next game they can out the starters in the 3rd or 4th just to shake things up.

I really like the new Unis, might have to upgrade my son's Tannehill jersey depending how the season goes.

When its vanilla vs vanilla I think talent wins out so there are some slight concerns there since the Bucs aren't that talented but each of their QB's had a TD drive.

I have to disagree with you here. "The Bucs aren't that talented", are you kidding me? They have one the most talented receiving corps in the NFL, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, DeSean Jackson moving to slot, Adam Humphries, and two TEs in Cameron Brate and O.J. Howard. They have very physical players on the defensive side of the ball, Gerald McCoy, JPP, Lavonte David, and Kwon Alexander.

I agree with "talent wins out," but lets match the talent up evenly and see how it falls, that didn't happen last night. When they have their starting QB (Winston) playing against our second team D for the entire second quarter, that creates a huge disadvantage.

Considering this was the first preseason game, I have to admit, the pass protection was GREAT (especially for Tannehill)! The no huddle offense looks like it will be a real thing this year.

Defense and Special Teams have some things to work out. Rizzi's unit will be fine, he always gets the job done; but Burke has a lot work to do with his unit.

Not sure about Burke, players look tremendously confused and out of place. It's definitely scheme. There were times where guys caught the ball in the middle of the field and NO ONE was there. IMO he's calling the wrong defensive plays and getting out schemed.

Not sure about Burke, players look tremendously confused and out of place. It's definitely scheme. There were times where guys caught the ball in the middle of the field and NO ONE was there. IMO he's calling the wrong defensive plays and getting out schemed.

I think you make a good point about getting out schemed. There were some plays where the defense looked lost at times, and some plays the opposing WRs were wide open. Burke has work to do, but it's preseason for these young coaches too. He has a lot of new pieces, and needs to figure out how to use them effectively. In his defense, it was encouraging when watching the games he called against Denver and New England last December. His blitzing kept Tom Brady out of rhythm the entire game. Let's hope he can figure it out become more consistent.

Firstly I'll say, first preseason game, so I'm not overly worried just yet.

However, what I did notice is that the middle of our D looks ... bad. D line in particular. Felt they were moved far too easily, and the Bucs moved the ball too easily.
Great to see RT back, and he looked good.
James ... I'm not his greatest fan, that penalty annoyed me. That needs to be cut out - likewise, the encroachment by Godchaux.
Love the look of Minkah. Gesicki could be great in red zone with well thrown balls.
Saw some good and bad from Ballage.
Howard ... don't think he's quite at shutdown level yet, and to be honest, that makes me wonder about just how bad DeVante is going to be this year.

Minkah was impressive and looked like the best player out there.
Baker was impressive, so much so that that I would look to move linebackers around, give Barker WSLB, Kiko and McMillian I would experiment with MLB and SSLB
All the cornerback were unimpressive, Burkes fault crappy scheme if he can't fix it fire him fast
Ford was impressive in a limited roll - keeper on the 53, hang him on the practice squad he is gone.
Gelsicki got open, a bad pass in end zone, was none factor for the most part
Petty was the most impressive QB, should be given a chance with the 1s and 2s - going against the 3s is different but earned a chance
Ballage was unimpressive, an easy tackle for a big guy
Senorise Perry was impressive as a runner, he is the 3rd back in my opinion
Charles Harris was totally unimpressive, no pass rush what so ever

Run game other than Perry was unimpressive - Drake WTH
Tannehill couldn't keep it going - FG's were all your getting from him, not good enough

Defensive scheme absolutely sucks, to much open space as a whole and the CB give up way space, playing 10 yards off at times

While I don't put to much stock in pre-season games if we look like this in the regular season were a 3-13 team

Both Tampa QB walked right thru our defense - was like taking candy from a toddler

Very unimpressive outing - I expected more

Am I the only one not impressed by Fales' arm strength? He seems to have to really step into the throw to get any velocity. He should still be the backup based on who else is on the roster, but I sure don't want him to have to play much.

Am I the only one not impressed by Fales' arm strength? He seems to have to really step into the throw to get any velocity. He should still be the backup based on who else is on the roster, but I sure don't want him to have to play much.

I don't think arm strength is an issue at all with Fales. His passes have plenty of zip and a nice trajectory. I do think nerves are an issue due to inexperience....he's amped up out there. He has to relax.

I think it causes him to grip the football too tight - which results in low, off target throws on medium range crossing routes or out routes. It affects accuracy and spin. I think Tannehill suffered from the same thing on a few throws last night. Most likely due to seeing his first real action in years. It's difficult to keep your body relaxed and tension at bay playing quarterback. The ability to do this is what makes Aaron Rodgers so consistent. Nobody plays the position more tension free and relaxed than he does.

Minkah was impressive and looked like the best player out there.
Baker was impressive, so much so that that I would look to move linebackers around, give Barker WSLB, Kiko and McMillian I would experiment with MLB and SSLB
All the cornerback were unimpressive, Burkes fault crappy scheme if he can't fix it fire him fast
Ford was impressive in a limited roll - keeper on the 53, hang him on the practice squad he is gone.
Gelsicki got open, a bad pass in end zone, was none factor for the most part
Petty was the most impressive QB, should be given a chance with the 1s and 2s - going against the 3s is different but earned a chance
Ballage was unimpressive, an easy tackle for a big guy
Senorise Perry was impressive as a runner, he is the 3rd back in my opinion
Charles Harris was totally unimpressive, no pass rush what so ever

Run game other than Perry was unimpressive - Drake WTH
Tannehill couldn't keep it going - FG's were all your getting from him, not good enough

Defensive scheme absolutely sucks, to much open space as a whole and the CB give up way space, playing 10 yards off at times

While I don't put to much stock in pre-season games if we look like this in the regular season were a 3-13 team

Both Tampa QB walked right thru our defense - was like taking candy from a toddler

Very unimpressive outing - I expected more

How was Drake unimpressive? Or Ballage?

Back
Top Bottom