2020 draft re-do | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 draft re-do

Several fans stubbornly clinging to drafting one of the safeties in the first round is funny to me.

They clearly don’t grasp the concept that safety isn’t a position considered as valuable as others. Or that the 2020 class didn’t knock any franchises socks off.

Not one of franchises with a first round pick drafted a S. None of the teams w/o a first round pick made a trade up to land one of them.

But you guys believe you know better than everyone else and still would have drafted one in the first round. Brilliant.

I surely hope none of you are mocking the Dolphins or some other franchise for ‘overdrafting‘ or ‘reaching‘ for a player while you continue to subscribe a strategy not one GM agreed with. Not one.

The first safety didn’t come off the board until pick #36.

Meanwhile, SIX corners were drafted before that time. All in the first round.

It’s time to get with the times, ladies and gentleman. CB is a much more valuable position than S.

The Dolphins made the right choice opting for a CB over a Safety in rd 1, regardless whether Igbinoghene ends up being the right one or not.
Iggy was definitely not the right one.

We’re gonna sign Kenny golladay and I’m gonna throw up everywhere

With hindsight based on year one production it would probably be (I do have faith in Tua) -

1a Justin Herbert (QB, Chargers)
1b Austin Jackson (same)
1c Tee Higgins (WR, Bengals)
2a Jaylon Johnson (CB, Bears)
2b Raekwon Davis (same)
3 L´Jarius Sneed (S, Chiefs)
4 Solomon Kindley (same)
5a Darnell Mooney (WR, Bears)
5b Michael Onwenu (OL, Patriots)
6 Blake Ferguson (same)
7 James Robinson (RB, Jaguars)

The two picks that I would definitely have made differently at the time were Antoine Winfield instead of Iggy and an RB ahead of Hunt.

Now I'm not in the 'Iggy was a terrible pick' camp. He was a project pick. You make that pick banking on his athleticism and development. You're not expecting him to be good in year 1. It's simply not possible to evaluate that pick in year 1 from the outside. I just had Winfield as one of my favorite players in the draft and he's the guy I wanted with that pick.

I had RB as a priority need in the draft and liked the talent available. I had targeted the value there around our first second round pick. I thought Taylor was the best runner, but JK Dobbins was better all-around and the better fit for us. Now I actually like the Hunt pick, but I know that at the time I would have piked Dobbins.

I did not like the Davis pick and would not have picked him if I were completely alone in the room (virtual room). But it's clear that Flores loved him and a good GM will factor in the coach's wants. I imagine I would have given the coach his guy. And in retrospect, Davis has obviously been a good pick.

Back
Top Bottom