2020 Free Agency - Dolphins Targets? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Free Agency - Dolphins Targets?

Thuney
Armstead
Costanzo

I fully expect all 3 to be in Miami uniforms next season. We're going after bargain guys (6-8-10 a year) versus a couple of 20+ a year guys

I should clarify.

I honestly expect Thuney to get 11-13 a year. He'll get a lot. He's young, healthy, and capable of playing honestly anywhere in the line - but you're paying $$$ for his guard ability. Costanzo plays tackle, so hes got a bit of a premium, but he's average. I still think because of position, you're seeing a 7-8 a year deal for 3 years with decent guarantees. Conkln is easily the safer bet out of the two, however I think he's going to command serious money. Teams wont care about his past meathead issues, they'll only see his run blocking on tape and drool, knowing he can at least hang with most elite DEs in the pass game as well. Tennessee likely doesnt let him go anywhere.

I also kinda expect Dante Fowler to get some interest from Miami at the 6-8 a year mark.

Thuney and Van Noy are 2 guys I’d look hard at.

The Pats are known to be stingy and there’s no income tax in Florida. Maybe we can steal one of them on a good deal.

Recently on twitter, I saw a comparison of the blocking scores of the F/A OG's who might be available for Miami. Joe Thuney had a nearly perfect blocking score compared to Sherff and others. It makes perfect sense, if Thuney was Miami's highest priority, considering his background with the system. But I'd expect competition from Detriot, Houston and now the New York Giants. All of whom have New England backgrounds at the HC position. But again, Miami isn't going to be outbid. Unless Miami decides they won't go above a certain price point?

Thuney and Van Noy are 2 guys I’d look hard at.

The Pats are known to be stingy and there’s no income tax in Florida. Maybe we can steal one of them on a good deal.

Between having a lot of money, holding the very last "premium" top draft pick, and having no state income tax... Miami is set up for success in all three stages of successful Off season roster acquisition...

1. The big name deals
2. The #2 / #3 guys who have flashed potential - looking for a chance to shine in a larger/starting role.
3. The Draft picks - we are the last phone call any team makes before trading out of the top 5, simply because everyone knows we're interested, and everyone knows we're rich with picks. That #5 is KEY. Thank god we didn't fall to 7/8/9 (from a value standpoint alone).

All this being said - you can look at it one of two ways. Either Grier is completely set up for success... or you need to recognize he's done a great job setting himself up for success...

and either way, it doesnt matter. All that matters is how he closes.

As has been mentioned, Costanzo has said that he'll only resign with his present team... or retire. He has no interest in moving

Thuney is the reasonable target if he got along with Flores. New England allows this type of player to walk and then picks up comp picks.

Thuney is the guy.

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, Costanzo has said that he'll only resign with his present team... or retire. He has no interest in moving

Thuney is the reasonable target if he got along with Flores. New England allows this type of player to walk and then picks up comp picks.

Thuney is the guy.

Where was this said? Nowhere in this thread and Im struggling to find anything in the media... besides an article from beginning of May where he said he feels younger than ever. https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...nes-andrew-whitworth-jason-peters/1164815001/

Found it. Your summary of his words is straight up incorrect, but it sheds enough information that I dont think we'd be in play for him (however look at the source of the news. Id be careful.)

For anyone else -

Fresh off perhaps the best season of his nine-year NFL career, the Indianapolis Colts’ left tackle said Monday, the day after the team wrapped up its 2019 season, that he is going to take some time to decide his future — not only with the Colts, but in the NFL.
Set to become a free agent in March, Castonzo certainly isn’t ruling out a return to Indy, but he revealed he also isn’t ruling out the possibility of retirement with his age-32 season on the horizon.
“I’ve just got some thinking to do,” Castonzo said. “You know, that’s what it’s going to come down to — it’s going to be a decision that I make, and then you live with it.”

I dont remember exactly where I saw that blurb, it was a couple of weeks ago... but it wasn't the source that you found; I've never seen that particular article.

ANTHONY CASTONZOT, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Colts LT Anthony Castonzo is considering retirement.

A free agent to be, Castonzo said he will only consider re-signing with the Colts or hanging up his cleats. Castonzo said he needed to "mull his options for a little bit before coming to a decision." Going on 32, Castonzo bounced back from an injury-shortened 2018 (11 games) to man the blindside for all 16 games this season, once again performing as one of the league's better left tackles. He would be another massive loss for a franchise that just lost its quarterback in August.

SOURCE: Stephen Holder on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 1:00 PM ET

No clue if Stephen Holder knows what he is saying... but this is likely where I originally saw this...

Sorry that I can't say for sure.

Free Agency is still a way off and this list will change, but I thought it would be a good to get a discussion going on which Free Agents we should or could potentially target. I tried not to include anyone older than 30. I will say that this is far from a complete list, these would be you higher-rated FAs so they will cost a little more money (some a considerable amount of money).

Edge Players

Jedaveon Clowney
Yannick Ngakoue
Chris Jones
Arik Armstead
Dante Fowler
Shaq Barrett
Bud Dupree
Matthew Judon
Leonard Williams
Kyle Van Noy

RB

Derrick Henry
Melvin Gordon
Kenyan Drake

OL

Brandon Scherff
Jack Conklin
Joe Thuney
DJ Humphries

CB

Byron Jones
James Bradbury
Logan Ryan (will be 29 at the start of the season)

Safeties

Justin Simmons
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Anthony Harris
Von Bell
From that list I'd like

Thuney
Coklin
Jones
Bell

that'd give us a secondary of Jones,Howard,Needham,Rowe and Bell

it'd also give us two very good starters up front and we could draft an OT and a Center

We have the money for those 4 as long as we stagger how and when they get paid. I doubt we get 4 top free agents tho but those are 4 I'd like on our team.

I should clarify.

I honestly expect Thuney to get 11-13 a year. He'll get a lot. He's young, healthy, and capable of playing honestly anywhere in the line - but you're paying $$$ for his guard ability. Costanzo plays tackle, so hes got a bit of a premium, but he's average. I still think because of position, you're seeing a 7-8 a year deal for 3 years with decent guarantees. Conkln is easily the safer bet out of the two, however I think he's going to command serious money. Teams wont care about his past meathead issues, they'll only see his run blocking on tape and drool, knowing he can at least hang with most elite DEs in the pass game as well. Tennessee likely doesnt let him go anywhere.

I also kinda expect Dante Fowler to get some interest from Miami at the 6-8 a year mark.

6-8 mil a year for Dante Fowler is too low. He just finished playing on a 1/14 mil contract. Had a solid season too with 11.5 sacks.

3 Free Agents I love:

1) Joe Thuney - meets all of the logical requirements.

2) Byron Jones - solid young perimeter CB.

3) Yannick Ngakoue - so young and productive at 25 years old. I think he turned down 19 mil a year last year so he would be EXPENSIVE.

3 Free Agents I love:

1) Joe Thuney - meets all of the logical requirements.

2) Byron Jones - solid young perimeter CB.

3) Yannick Ngakoue - so young and productive at 25 years old. I think he turned down 19 mil a year last year so he would be EXPENSIVE.

Your list is my list.

Back
Top Bottom