2020 Miami Dolphins players previews: Isaiah Ford | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Miami Dolphins players previews: Isaiah Ford

I'm not really sure. Ford did a lot more than Hurns in the last few games last year and we also didn't bring in any receiver help after Ford started to emerge in the last few games. I think they like having a lot of potential contributors at receiver which is why Hurns is still here but I think Ford has jumped him in the pecking order.

Hurns had a couple of injuries....it wasn't clear if he was sitting because he couldn't play or because there wasn't any reason for him to.

The coaching staff saw something in Hurns that led to them giving him that extension and I'm guessing that's what keeps him on the roster. I think they view him more as a legit #2 that can fill in for Parker or Williams if/when one of them goes down.

I do like Ford and hes one of those guys that's easy to root for. But if he winds up in a fight for the 5th or 6th spot hes going to be competing with guys who can potentially contribute in special teams or gadget plays and I think its going to be an uphill battle.

I liked what he showed us on the field in December, but it's worth remembering that it took some injuries to other players to open up an opportunity for him. Which means he must not have been showing much in practices? I do hope that he sticks around. He looked good down the stretch in 2019.

That's my angst of potentially losing all PS games. Some players are practice All Pros. Some are gamers. Ford showed enough to be a legitimate contender for the squad. If Flo gives preference to playbook knowledge and route-running, I think he's in

I Don't really see him as a full time slot. He is very smooth in his route running, but not particularly "quick" off the line, as you would want from that spot, IMO.

I think Ford doesn’t really see the field unless there are injuries. I do like his route running and hands though. It might not translate into being a full time slot WR, but I do think he could have success working from the slot. I think his lack of speed paired with a thinner frame don’t really leave him a ton of upside as a perimeter WR.

I think Ford doesn’t really see the field unless there are injuries. I do like his route running and hands though. It might not translate into being a full time slot WR, but I do think he could have success working from the slot. I think his lack of speed paired with a thinner frame don’t really leave him a ton of upside as a perimeter WR.
I know the term isn't often used in the context of WRs, but he's a bit of a "tweener" with respect to position.

From all I've heard, though, he is very smart, in terms of knowing the routes and responsibilities for every receiver position. That in itself has value as depth.

One might think that all recievers would know that, but it isn't always the case.

I liked what he showed us on the field in December, but it's worth remembering that it took some injuries to other players to open up an opportunity for him. Which means he must not have been showing much in practices? I do hope that he sticks around. He looked good down the stretch in 2019.

Logically, in the absence of an all pro showing (which granted, it looks like Preston Williams had, be was a unique case where he had talent but potential character issues caused him to go undrafted), Ford was right where one would expect on the depth chart, which was very deep with experienced guys the new staff was also trying to get a read on. I think quite the contrary, if Ford had not been showing something in practice, he wouldn't have been kept around at all.

Hurns had a couple of injuries....it wasn't clear if he was sitting because he couldn't play or because there wasn't any reason for him to.

The coaching staff saw something in Hurns that led to them giving him that extension and I'm guessing that's what keeps him on the roster. I think they view him more as a legit #2 that can fill in for Parker or Williams if/when one of them goes down.

I do like Ford and hes one of those guys that's easy to root for. But if he winds up in a fight for the 5th or 6th spot hes going to be competing with guys who can potentially contribute in special teams or gadget plays and I think its going to be an uphill battle.

I wouldn't read too much into a Hurns extension other than the team is comfortable having him on the roster if need be. At a certain point last year this roster had very few players making much more than the minimum. A few team friendly extensions doesn't hurt anything.

I wouldn't read too much into a Hurns extension other than the team is comfortable having him on the roster if need be. At a certain point last year this roster had very few players making much more than the minimum. A few team friendly extensions doesn't hurt anything.

As trivial as it may seem in the grand scheme of things a mil of guaranteed money is still something. Teams don't hand out guaranteed cash on a whim. There is always the possibility that Ford or someone else outplays him and he gets pushed down the depth chart or cut outright. But the contract does show that they saw something in him to keep him around for another year. They didn't have to do it when they did and they didn't have to include anything upfront.

As trivial as it may seem in the grand scheme of things a mil of guaranteed money is still something. Teams don't hand out guaranteed cash on a whim. There is always the possibility that Ford or someone else outplays him and he gets pushed down the depth chart or cut outright. But the contract does show that they saw something in him to keep him around for another year. They didn't have to do it when they did and they didn't have to include anything upfront.

The Dolphins got rid of so many contracts last year they basically HAD to spend money. Which is why that guaranteed money is insignificant.

Notice on that video too Hurns is running upfield with his back turned when Fitz is needing to get rid of the ball - availability to your QB is such an underrated tool and Ford displayed that over and over when on the field. And it's why guys like Mack Hollins don't do jack in this league despite good athleticism.

Ford is one of those players that I would say I like having them on the team, but if they left for any reason and the team was having problems finding an equal replacement than the team has a serious problem in the scouting department.

Back
Top Bottom