2020 NFL Combine info here | Page 34 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 NFL Combine info here

When you know you’re going top 2-5 already, what’s the point?

This is exactly why players with that type of mentality will never be great long term, imo!

It's why they'll never be the Micheal Jordan's coming out of retirement just to skool a current player that challenged them.
Great players will participate because they're not going NUMBER #1 and are pissed about it.

They don't sit at podiums doing interviews while others are out there working hard and showing what they're made of.
Once more i'm not suprised..C.Young sits and watch others work quite a bit. It's part of his skillset.

This is exactly why players with that type of mentality will never be great long term, imo!

It's why they'll never be the Micheal Jordan's coming out of retirement just to skool a current player that challenged them.
Great players will participate because they're not going NUMBER #1 and are pissed about it.

They don't sit at podiums doing interviews while others are out there working hard and showing what they're made of.
Once more i'm not suprised..C.Young sits and watch others work quite a bit. It's part of his skillset.

To clarify, you're comparing Michael Jordan coming out of retirement AFTER he made all his money, and playing Corey Benjamin in a pick-up game in a practice facility...to Chase Young competing at the NFL combine where his stock can only go DOWN?

It's easy to say that when you're not the one looking at the contract he's about to sign. Let's say for argument's sake that Chase Young is STILL going to be drafted #2 - and as of this morning, that's where 90% of the post-combine mock drafts have him. Say he performed lights-out. Ran a 4.4 - 40. Did 30 reps on the bench press. Maybe he penned a sonnet while running a blisteringly fast cone drill. Does any of this move him up to #1? Probably not. Even if it did, he'd make about $1.2mm more over his entire rookie contract.

But what if something else happened? Say he tore a groin muscle. Maybe he had a bad day and ran a very slow 40. Maybe he injured a pectoral while benching. Could this drop him in the first round? Absolutely.

The difference between the #2 pick in the first round and the middle of the first round is $20mm over the life of that rookie contract. Twenty freaking million dollars. Pick #16 makes about 40% of what pick #2 does.

In today's dollars, Michael Jordan's rookie contract was between $6-7 million. I'm fairly certain if you had said to Michael Jordan back before the 1984 draft, "Hey Mike...there's a group of scouts and GMs coming together to watch you shoot, cut, steal, lift weights, rebound, and take part in a skills test. If you do this, it doesn't help you at all, because Portland has their mind set on a center. Yeah I know, they're morons. Anyway, if you **** it up, they find something they don't like, or you get hurt, you might only make $1.1 million instead of $2.76 million over the next four years. Wanna go?"

I know Michael is a gambler and all, but I doubt it.

He did. I'm a fan, and I even I was like "ugh."
I'm a Gator so I took a tiny modicum of joy in it though of course, I'm rooting for him just as a nice young dude. He'll be good eventually just needs to go somewhere like Pit or GB and sit behind a starter and learn for a while.

Cj Henderson had a hell of a workout, seems to have the length and size FLO and company like. Could see him in the 26 range if still available.

To clarify, you're comparing Michael Jordan coming out of retirement AFTER he made all his money, and playing Corey Benjamin in a pick-up game in a practice facility...to Chase Young competing at the NFL combine where his stock can only go DOWN?

It's easy to say that when you're not the one looking at the contract he's about to sign. Let's say for argument's sake that Chase Young is STILL going to be drafted #2 - and as of this morning, that's where 90% of the post-combine mock drafts have him. Say he performed lights-out. Ran a 4.4 - 40. Did 30 reps on the bench press. Maybe he penned a sonnet while running a blisteringly fast cone drill. Does any of this move him up to #1? Probably not. Even if it did, he'd make about $1.2mm more over his entire rookie contract.

But what if something else happened? Say he tore a groin muscle. Maybe he had a bad day and ran a very slow 40. Maybe he injured a pectoral while benching. Could this drop him in the first round? Absolutely.

The difference between the #2 pick in the first round and the middle of the first round is $20mm over the life of that rookie contract. Twenty freaking million dollars. Pick #16 makes about 40% of what pick #2 does.

In today's dollars, Michael Jordan's rookie contract was between $6-7 million. I'm fairly certain if you had said to Michael Jordan back before the 1984 draft, "Hey Mike...there's a group of scouts and GMs coming together to watch you shoot, cut, steal, lift weights, rebound, and take part in a skills test. If you do this, it doesn't help you at all, because Portland has their mind set on a center. Yeah I know, they're morons. Anyway, if you **** it up, they find something they don't like, or you get hurt, you might only make $1.1 million instead of $2.76 million over the next four years. Wanna go?"

I know Michael is a gambler and all, but I doubt it.

And just like that in your opinion statement you completely distroyed your entire argument.
You think MJ became great AFTER making all his money?
That passion to dominate and be the great came AFTER making all his money?

If C.Young is as good as he claims then the money will always be there waiting.
When you call a guy on the court and he refuses to accept the challenge it tells you one thing and one thing only....Make all the C.Young excuses you want....He's SOFT as CHARMIN and knows he'll get exposed! Buyer beware...

And just like that in your opinion statement you completely distroyed your entire argument.
You think MJ became great AFTER making all his money?
That passion to dominate and be the great came AFTER making all his money?

If C.Young is as good as he claims then the money will always be there waiting.
When you call a guy on the court and he refuses to accept the challenge it tells you one thing and one thing only....Make all the C.Young excuses you want....He's SOFT as CHARMIN and knows he'll get exposed! Buyer beware...

If you believe I destroyed my argument, you have no idea what my point is. I'm talking about monetary risk.

If you're drawing a direct comparison between Jordan playing Corey Benjamin after he was worth nine figures and Chase Young not competing in a draft combine when he hasn't earned one dime professionally yet, you might want to at least acknowledge that they're not on the same planet financially.

Is Chase Young soft? Maybe, but not competing in the combine doesn't mean he's soft. It means he's got a financial advisor in his ear.

If you believe I destroyed my argument, you have no idea what my point is. I'm talking about monetary risk.

If you're drawing a direct comparison between Jordan playing Corey Benjamin after he was worth nine figures and Chase Young not competing in a draft combine when he hasn't earned one dime professionally yet, you might want to at least acknowledge that they're not on the same planet financially.

Is Chase Young soft? Maybe, but not competing in the combine doesn't mean he's soft. It means he's got a financial advisor in his ear.

iu

Burrows had a lot more to prove than Chase running 3 cone drills

Over the years, lots of QBs have sat out of the combine drills, but I can't think of any top end DEs who have. In this draft, there is nothing edge wise after Young that is worth a ****, so he had very little to lose by running.

On another topic, I hope the NFL revisits this new setup. Lots of reports to too much down time between drills and a lot of players getting injuries as a result of trying to push it. The Prime time thing seems to be a negative for the players.

It’s become such a business though. You have to appreciate the concept of risk/reward. Example Bosa last year.

Over the years, lots of QBs have sat out of the combine drills, but I can't think of any top end DEs who have. In this draft, there is nothing edge wise after Young that is worth a ****, so he had very little to lose by running.

On another topic, I hope the NFL revisits this new setup. Lots of reports to too much down time between drills and a lot of players getting injuries as a result of trying to push it. The Prime time thing seems to be a negative for the players.
What did he have to gain?
Have to lose: injury. Money.

What did he have to gain?
Have to lose: injury. Money.

As I said, every other top DE has ran to show they have the speed and explosive numbers. I get why he did it, I explained that in the next sentence, but it sort of why I don't think he is on the same level as the Bosas, Garrett, or even Allen last year.

As I said, every other top DE has ran to show they have the speed and explosive numbers. I get why he did it, I explained that in the next sentence, but it sort of why I don't think he is on the same level as the Bosas, Garrett, or even Allen last year.
I agree with the last part- imo he doesn’t have the bend of the great ones or the game strength of Garrett or Bosa

Back
Top Bottom