2020 NFL Draft: Here's how the Dolphins can ace the first round | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 NFL Draft: Here's how the Dolphins can ace the first round

That is the gamble with a top 5 pick isn’t it?

The question is... considering Tua’s multiple low extremity injuries in basically 2 years... is he genetically injury prone? Is his style of play and unwillingness to check down leading to injuries?

Big gamble if your Chris Grier......
Everybody is a gamble. The injury thing could go either way, I’ve seen both. Herbert could think quicker or not, seen that, too. It comes down to what you think is the safer bet. Tua’s hip or Herbert’s head?

Everybody is a gamble. The injury thing could go either way, I’ve seen both. Herbert could think quicker or not, seen that, too. It comes down to what you think is the safer bet. Tua’s hip or Herbert’s head?

It’s not just Tua’s hip... it’s his other lower extremity injuries... it’s his propensity to take hits... and he had an NFL line and 4 first round receivers?

Herbert is a safer gamble by far!

“The hip recovery is only part of that — perhaps a small part.”

So what are the other parts?

Obviously history plays a role. And not just Tagovailoa’s personal history.

Recent NFL drafts show that quarterbacks with a history of college injuries often continue that trend into the NFL.

Sam Bradford had an injury history at Oklahoma. And he had one in the NFL.

Robert Griffin III had an injury history at Baylor. And he had one in the NFL.

Carson Wentz was injured during his time at North Dakota State and as an adolescent. And he has been injured with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Deshaun Waton had two ACL tears in a four-year span between his time at Clemson and his first year with the Houston Texans.

Marcus Mariota had an MCL injury in 2013 and sprained his A/C joint in the final game of the 2014-2015 season. And he has an extensive injury history with the Tennessee Titans.

And Tagovailoa?

Yes, there’s the hip issue. Monday was supposed to be a big day on that front in that Tagovailoa said during the NFL Combine he expected to be medically cleared on March 9 — his four-month post-surgery milestone.

And all the news, according to the NFL Network, was apparently good.

But Tagovailoa will apparently have to ease into his field work. And he won’t be ready to compete in the Alabama Pro Day this month. He hopes to have a Pro Day on April 9.

And the issue that gives pause is Tagovailoa’s hip was just one of a handful of injuries he had during his time at Alabama.

There was the broken index finger and surgery on his throwing (left) hand in March 2018.

There was the sprained knee in October of 2018, which admittedly was not serious.

There was the high ankle sprain in December 2018, which was treated via surgery.

There was the high ankle sprain in October 2019, which was treated via surgery.

And then came the hip injury in November 2019.

NFL doctors will be asked by some teams employing them if Tagovailoa is injury prone, given this history. They will be asked if his frame — 6-foot and 217 pounds — is capable of taking NFL punishment on any sort of consistent basis.

And, assuming teams do studies on Tagovailoa’s bone density and other things, doctors will be asked the million-dollar question: Is this player going to be durable in the future?

Dolphins doctors have in the past demurred about making such predictions.

It’s not just Tua’s hip... it’s his other lower extremity injuries... it’s his propensity to take hits... and he had an NFL line and 4 first round receivers?

Herbert is a safer gamble by far!
Again, I’m not sweating sprained ankles, Herbert and Burrow have had worse than that. The hip is everything and considering he’s now been cleared for all activities, it’s becoming a safer bet all the time.

Again, I’m not sweating sprained ankles, Herbert and Burrow have had worse than that. The hip is everything and considering he’s now been cleared for all activities, it’s becoming a safer bet all the time.

Every hit Dolphin Nation will be holding it's collective breath.

That’s cool... I’m just telling You the NFL doesn’t look at it that way...a player who continually gets injured is viewed as a durability risk.

It is now a well circulated belief that some players are genetically less durable. Of the many examples...Look at Carson Wentz?

Very talented QB...only problem is every time his team gets to the postseason he is hurt!

I hope Tua has a long healthy career... but I know Chris Grier is not disregarding Tua’s injury history because he is the one gambling with his career on it...he is not just a fan enamored with a QB.

Also... despite being surrounded with the best line and receivers in college football... this kid lost a lot of big games, more than he won actually!

Being cleared from the hip to play...is not the same thing as being considered durable.

that’s not what I’m referencing and I agree that leadership and intravert stuff is overrated. Looked like a guy who tbe players gravitated to to me be it oregon and the senior bowl.

I mean more about the way he thinks the game and processing things. There’s a hiccup there in his college tape that needs answers. Answers the tape doesn’t give and only a real in person meeting and getting into his football mind can answer. Processes information.
I think I understand what your saying. The bad plays at a couple of big moments but I think I it really boiled down to complete lack of confidence in anyone else in the team to make the play. He can clean that stuff up. Also having so many different offenses makes those processes more difficult in real time. I'm still higher on Tua but Herbert at 5 no longer scares me. Giving up the freeking world to move to #1 for Burrow does though.

That is the gamble with a top 5 pick isn’t it?

The question is... considering Tua’s multiple low extremity injuries in basically 2 years... is he genetically injury prone? Is his style of play and unwillingness to check down leading to injuries?

Big gamble if your Chris Grier......
Medically speaking the 2 ankle injuries make him less prone to it reoccurring then someone who hasnt had the Injry before from what any doctor has said. Ya any QB that runs quite a bit is going to be at higher risk though. I like running qbs that keep it more along the lines of a steve young not a josh allen or cam newton. It's not just Tua though Herbert and Burrows both run also.

That’s cool... I’m just telling You the NFL doesn’t look at it that way...a player who continually gets injured is viewed as a durability risk.

It is now a well circulated belief that some players are genetically less durable. Of the many examples...Look at Carson Wentz?

Very talented QB...only problem is every time his team gets to the postseason he is hurt!

I hope Tua has a long healthy career... but I know Chris Grier is not disregarding Tua’s injury history because he is the one gambling with his career on it...he is not just a fan enamored with a QB.

Also... despite being surrounded with the best line and receivers in college football... this kid lost a lot of big games, more than he won actually!

Being cleared from the hip to play...is not the same thing as being considered durable.
I'm sure Grier is wrestling with idea of picking Tua and I can see him opting for someone else. After all, he did trade for Rosen

Back
Top Bottom