2020 Offensive Line Rankings | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Offensive Line Rankings

I could see a combo along the lines of Ezra Cleveland and Isaiah Wilson lining up with Miami at tackle. I’d love to see one of the “big four” OT’s falling to 18 for Miami, but it seems highly unlikely. One thing that might help is if Trent Williams gets dealt to one of the tackle-starving teams, thereby dropping the tackles down a notch.

I expect at least two O linemen picked by the time we are done with Day 2. The way Miami emphasized the defensive front seven in free agency, it suggests that we are going O line heavy in the draft.
I like Cleveland but I'm not really high on Wilson

Bredeson was one of the most consistent interior offensive lineman I watched all season, which I noted in the stickied offensive line thread earlier in the season.

However, those 31” arms are cause for concern. He may have to kick inside to center if he can snap.

Christian Barmore worked him over in the bowl game. Then again, Barmore is my #1 underclassman DT for 2021. Kid is a beast and was only a RS Freshman.
What's the deal with his recruiting?

I looked him up and Penn St. didn't even offer him...the #5 ranked player in the state of Pennsylvania?

Bredeson was one of the most consistent interior offensive lineman I watched all season, which I noted in the stickied offensive line thread earlier in the season.

However, those 31” arms are cause for concern. He may have to kick inside to center if he can snap.

Christian Barmore worked him over in the bowl game. Then again, Barmore is my #1 underclassman DT for 2021. Kid is a beast and was only a RS Freshman.
Seems like Oline is the organization’s worst position in terms of evaluation. They can’t pick a Guard to save their life. Tunsil was a gift - probably a Mr T setup.

Seems like Oline is the organization’s worst position in terms of evaluation. They can’t pick a Guard to save their life. Tunsil was a gift - probably a Mr T setup.
Let‘s hope that Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie are the new blood to fix that.

Can someone make me feel better about the potential of either Josh Jones or Austin Jackson being our starting left tackle next year instead of paying a premium to go up and get one of the top guys?

Josh Jones screams Ja'Waun James to me (decent, but never great) and Austin Jackson seems like he will be good but will need a year or 2.

This offensive line needs to be a strength of this team heading into the 2021 season. Especially if we are taking Tua.

Just finished Ezra cleveland. Two things came to mind for as in needs improvement.

play strength and technique. Seems to let an awful lot of guys get into his body. Punch doesn’t look bad almost looks like he’s content to let guys get up into him.

also I think he could play with a little more effort and attitude. Like I want to reach thru the screen and hand him some smelling salts. top 25 seems rich to me

I like Wilson as a traditional RT, but not to protect Tua's blindside.

But he could transition to LT in that scenario while a better pass blocking OT switched to the right side.

Cleveland is a guy who people think could really improve with added strength, which might be true.But he is a bit of a projection.

I want at least one OL that is a surish thing, plug and play, starts as a rookie.

Just finished Ezra cleveland. Two things came to mind for as in needs improvement.

play strength and technique. Seems to let an awful lot of guys get into his body. Punch doesn’t look bad almost looks like he’s content to let guys get up into him.

also I think he could play with a little more effort and attitude. Like I want to reach thru the screen and hand him some smelling salts. top 25 seems rich to me

His effort is his biggest issue imo. He lacks focus for whatever reason. I'm not worried about his ability to anchor. It might never be a strength, but he has the frame and size to do it well enough, particularly relative to how easy he moves. 26 is where I'd start to consider him, but I'd prefer him at 39. It's just a matter of whether or not you think he'll focus and play through the whistle as a pro. To me, his tape is good enough to bet on his physical tools in the 21-40 range, but there will probably be players I prefer at 26.

also I think he could play with a little more effort and attitude. top 25 seems rich to me

Cleveland's movement and mirror skills are high level. With him, it's getting the most out of him bc he appears so laid back......almost disinterested on the field. I was surprised by his bench bc i wasn't expected that kind of functional strength. In college he was able to win easily even when allowing guys into his body. In the pros, the concern is a DE comes in and clubs him to the side when he gives up his body.

He has risk but nice tools to work with. I wouldn't say top 25 but i could see him coming off the board early/mid R2 unless a tackle starved team wants to take a chance late R1.

With linemen, you always want to weigh potential against 'right now'. Typically, the players coming from the power teams are more polished, and consequently, have less upside.

Redshirt senior vs. 3rd year jumper, same deal.

So... are you looking for that super polished, ready to go right now player (Wirfs, Wills, Thomas) or are you willing to swing for the fence on a player who may ultimately eclipse these players (Bechton, Jones, Cleveland, Jackson or Wilson).

Typically, I look to hit the home run. I LOVE the idea of what a Bechton/Wilson line could become. These two are just unbelievable physical specimens.

Are they as safe as Wirfs or Thomas? Not a chance... but what if... The potential of these two is just staggering.

He’s an easy mover no doubt. Reminds me in some regards of Joel bitonio as a college player minus the bite and nastiness to him.

although I would struggle with that play strength projected to kick inside

What do you think of Isaiah Wilson? I read he could be a top 10 pick if he waited until next year. Could be a sleeper pick?

I've settled on Wirfs as my top tackle. You can see the great balance and nasty streak that comes from his wrestling background. Very agile for a big guy. Position versatility. Really clean prospect.

Thomas has prototypical size and arm length. His tape is mostly consistent with some hiccups. Kind of heavy footed but gets the job done enough.

The sky is the ceiling for Willis. He's the best athlete of the top tier guys, as well as the rawest. Love the movement skills and pop in his punch. He's a better run blocker at the moment.

Josh Jones pass protects. That's his thing. He won't let you down. I think he's ready to go day one. Nobody has their hand placement technique down better.

Becton scares me. I never liked Greg Robinson, and I'm getting a similar vibe with Becton. Mekhi is bigger, and he probably doesn't have 160lbs of Mary Jane in the trunk of his car, but there are too many bad pass protecting reps out there. I'm not an Austin Jackson guy either.

Ezra Cleveland, Matt Peart and Isaiah Wilson are great athletes I'd prioritise in round 2. Danny Pinter is also similar, though maybe in round 3 or 4.

Matt Hennessey is a stud pass protector. Like Wirfs, it starts with his rare balance. He's mobile and has great technique. He's the bright spot in an otherwise underwhelming group of centers.

If I can’t get Hennessey, I might look at Nick Harris. Nothing special about him, simply a grinder with enough athleticism. Ruiz is just okay. Don't like his footwork and he needs to be more consistent with leverage. Biadsz is heavy and clunky. Cussenberry has way too much bad tape. Gives up too many pressures.

Outlook on the guard group ain't much better. I think names wise you have the top two pass protectors at the top of your list in Jonah Jackson and Damien Lewis. Bartch has good tape against bad competition, and a tendency to play high. Kindley def don't wanna see Derrick Brown ever again. Muti would be higher without injuries I think.

Last edited:
Some Greg Robinson vibes with Becton. Robinson was a great learning experience for me, and I do think Becton will be better. I believe he's working with Duke Manyweather, so that's encouraging, but I agree that he carries more risk than the Top 3, and at OL, I'd rather have a guy I'm 90% sure will be good than a guy who could be great but has a higher chance to bust. I like the ceilings for the Top 3 anyway.

Didn't read your post before I posted mine. Surprised I haven't seen the Becton - Robinson comparison more often. First thing that came to my mind watching him.

Back
Top Bottom