2020 Plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Plan

mandal24

Genesis
Reaction score
With a ton of cash to spend in FA and picks galore, we have a ton of opportunity to turn this around, especially with a coach I'm finally excited about. I believe this should be done in the next 2 drafts.

Priority #1 - Fix the OL -use most resources here
Priority #2 - Get pass rushers
Priority # 3- Get a running back
Priority #4 - Get a safety

NO QB changes for 2019. Invest in the line play. No rookie QB would survive behind this line. Perhaps Rosen can finally have a year to play behind a solid OL, if not, I'm fine with Fitz for one more year.

2021 - Trade draft picks to get the #1 QB once we see we have a competent OL (Trevor Lawrence most likely).

With a ton of cash to spend in FA and picks galore, we have a ton of opportunity to turn this around, especially with a coach I'm finally excited about. I believe this should be done in the next 2 drafts.

NO QB changes for 2019. Invest in the line play. No rookie QB would survive behind this line. Perhaps Rosen can finally have a year to play behind a solid OL, if not, I'm fine with Fitz for one more year.

2021 - Trade draft picks to get the #1 QB once we see we have a competent OL (Trevor Lawrence most likely).
What makes you think the team with the #1 Overall pick in 2021 will trade it? No one is trading that pick to anyone. It's Trevor Lawrence or bust.

If we don't end up with first round QB in this draft Finheaven will be in full on meltdown mode. Genuinely I just want the team to get better at the position.

Mostly I'm on board with what you are laying down. Especially when it comes to Pass Rush and OL. These are must address issues in the off season.

In 2021 whichever team lands the #1 overall pick will have a slew of options beyond just selecting them for more then what we saw Washington give up for RG3. Fleecing on a historic level. There is next to 0% chance we end up with Lawrence.

I’m of the opinion that the team should either do what it takes to get Burrow, or take a chance on Tua, or take Fromm later in the first...

...worst case, take a developmental QB mid-rounds and sign a FA QB in the mean time.

Of course, the “some people just like to watch the world burn” scenario involves Tannehill, but that’s a different conversation.

If we don't end up with first round QB in this draft Finheaven will be in full on meltdown mode.

While you are right that FInheaven will explode if we don't take the QB. The thing is... Finheaven will explode if we do. If we take an OL this site will explode If we take Chase Young this site will Explode...

This Draft will be epic before we even use the first of our picks...

So another we don't have a qb. We have 5 picks in the first two rounds. But don't draft a qb thread.

Personally I think you still have to get a QB this year because there are plenty of quality options. That's not always the case so we should strike now rather than wait and then have to grossly reach. You don't have to start him in 2020. Fitz can hold the fort for another year while the rookie learns the ropes.

Ideally (i.e. if the value is there) I'd like to land a QB, pass rusher, RB, tackle, and a big DE in the first 2 rounds.

This is going to be one hell of an off season.

Players will be signed. Deals will be made. Picks will be traded. FH posters will be banned.

I’m pretty flexible with what I want us to do in the draft. I’ll be ok with almost anything other than a WR with our first 4 picks.

I’ll take 3 OL and 2 DEs with our firsts and seconds. Not one complaint from me.

2 DE, 2 OL, 2 DBs with our first 6 picks. Still good with me.

Extra picks acquired for 2021, sign me up.

A QB

No QB

I can get behind either.

A first round WR? I’m punching people in the face.

What makes you think the team with the #1 Overall pick in 2021 will trade it? No one is trading that pick to anyone. It's Trevor Lawrence or bust.

This notion that the Dolphins should pass on a QB in 2020 to target one in 2021 is absurd. We all saw how hard it is to target a QB in a given year. For one, its actually not easy to get the #1 overall pick. This roster was absolutely gutted. It looks like an expansion team, and the Dolphins still managed to win enough games to possibly knock them out of Top 5. Additionally, we saw how one freak injury can severely alter the landscape of draftable QBs.

There are just too many variables to control which is why when you are drafting high and need a QB you should just go ahead and take your shot.

It's doubly naive to just think the Dolphins can just trade up for the #1 overall pick, especially in a year with a transformational talent like Lawrence. The team that lands the #1 pick likely has a **** QB and won't trade the pick for anything. Waiting for 2021 is just delaying any sort of progress for a gamble. No guarantees they'd even be in position to take a QB with half the talent of the ones available to them this year. It's a gamble a coaching staff can't afford to take. It's just another year waiting for development.

Also, if they draft a QB in 2020, it doesn't mean they need to play them right away. Given the state of the roster, I think they should sit whoever they draft for the entire year and let the rest of the roster be built up and gel. Let Rosen take the knocks for the whole year and see if maybe even he develops in Year 3.

If Tua decides to return to Alabama, which he could do, then the 2021 class would be Lawrence, Tua and Justin Fields. I like those top 3 better than this years top 3.

And the Dolphins have the resources (and can add to it via trade downs this draft) to be able to land one of them.

If we don't end up with first round QB in this draft Finheaven will be in full on meltdown mode. Genuinely I just want the team to get better at the position.

Mostly I'm on board with what you are laying down. Especially when it comes to Pass Rush and OL. These are must address issues in the off season.

In 2021 whichever team lands the #1 overall pick will have a slew of options beyond just selecting them for more then what we saw Washington give up for RG3. Fleecing on a historic level. There is next to 0% chance we end up with Lawrence.
You mean you will be in full meltdown if the Dolphins don’t draft a QB in the first round. At this point I see only 1 QB worthy of being a first round pick and that is Burrow. Also depending on his recovery from hip surgery Tua might also be worthy of a mid to late first round pick.
Any other QB taken in the first round will likely be nothing but a huge reach. So if they can’t draft Burrow
and Tua is either not healthy or already off the board by the time they have thier 2nd first round pick, I have no problem with them not selecting a QB in the first round.

I would much rather see them select the BPA with their picks than to reach for a QB in the early rounds of the 2020 draft. They have so many holes to fill on this roster that they can not afford to draft a questionable QB in the first round just because this fan forum might meltdown if they don’t.

Burrow will likely be gone by the time the Dolphins draft in the first round. Tua should only be drafted in the first round if the medical staff of the Dolphins clear him 100 percent and even then the Dolphins shouldn’t use their first pick on him because he has shown to be injury prone over the last two years and
he might not even be available to play in 2020 if he is still recovering from hip surgery.

At this point I would rather see them rebuild the OL and the defense and wait until the 2021 draft to try and draft a QB in the first round. Because if they don’t vastly improve the OL and the overall defense, it isn’t going to matter who the QB is going forward.

While you are right that FInheaven will explode if we don't take the QB. The thing is... Finheaven will explode if we do. If we take an OL this site will explode If we take Chase Young this site will Explode...

This Draft will be epic before we even use the first of our picks...
Meh

The "explosion" is part of the entertainment, and differing opinions are part of what makes sports conversations great. It would be pretty boring if everyone agreed about everything. I wouldn't want a politically correct echo chamber.

I also think all the regulars here pretty much know the other regular's positions on all aspects.

I am looking forward to FA, and the draft, to see what Grier/Flo have in mind going forward.

Let the bickering begin.

Last edited:
Wow, April can not get here soon enough. Yeah lets just make sure we have an ALL PRO at every position before we draft a QB. We should be able to have a team worthy of drafting one by the year 2047.

First of all I don’t care if Finheaven has a meltdown over

I don’t care if Finheaven has a meltdown or not. I’ve seen enough insane posts here to know it’s amateur hour most times. I think the team has a plan and needs to follow. This all depends whether or not Grier is good at his job, we don’t know yet. For me it’s OLs, DEs, RBs, and QB of course not in that order. Choosing talent there will make a world of difference by next season. God help you Chris Grier

First of all I don’t care if Finheaven has a meltdown over

I don’t care if Finheaven has a meltdown or not. I’ve seen enough insane posts here to know it’s amateur hour most times. I think the team has a plan and needs to follow. This all depends whether or not Grier is good at his job, we don’t know yet. For me it’s OLs, DEs, RBs, and QB of course not in that order. Choosing talent there will make a world of difference by next season. God help you Chris Grier
As a seasoned lurker on Finheaven I enjoy some very fascinating reads from posters at the end of their respective rope. Especially after wins. Its a blasphemy covered burrito, full of despair, anger, jealousy with a hint of depression. Makes for a fun read.

On a more serious note I tend to agree with everything you said. Adding some quality pass rush will do wonders for our defense as a whole.

OLine obviously needs a lot of help across the board. I could see as many as 3 new starters entering 2020.

The need for a true RB has been calling for years. We haven't had a back that is a true #1 RB since Ricky during "The Stache" era and Ronnie Brown during insert coaches name here.

We have a lot off holes to fill on a talent deprived roster. Can Grier cash in those lottery tickets and stand on his own 2 legs going forward with these picks. A lot to look forward too as an optimist and hell awaits the pessimists heading into the off-season. Personally more of a glass half full kind of dude.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom