2020 - Play GM | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 - Play GM

mandal24

Genesis
Reaction score
Imagine this. Dolphins have the 1st pick, the 12th pick (Steelers) and the 16th pick (Texans) and by far the most cap space, around $117M, crazy that the Falcons will actually be over the cap, and the Steelers won't have any money.

Fast forward to March/April 2020, what would you all suggest we do?

Let's look at some teams in somewhat similar situations.

The 2008 Dolphins/Falcons- Dolphins had the opportunity to take Matt Ryan, went with LT Jake Long. Falcons ended up taking Matt Ryan. They went from 4-12 to 11-5/playoffs, eventually making it to the Super Bowl with Ryan. Dolphins landed Chad Pennington in FA, which in hindsight may have set this team back, as they went 11-5, which real Dolphin fans know was a mirage as so many things went our way (weak schedule, Brady going down). What would have been if we would have taken Matt Ryan? Also, to note, the Raiders who were also in a downward spiral took Darren Mcfadden. I am never for taking a RB as a top 5 pick. Never.

Suck for Luck year (2012)- Colts landed Andrew Luck, while the Browns, took Trent Richardson, a RB that never amounted to anything with the 3rd pick. Colts went from 2-14 to 11-5/playoffs, eventually making it one game before the Super Bowl.

An interesting year and team. 2013 KC Chiefs. They went from 2-14 to 11-5, drafting LT Eric Fisher, and adding Alex Smith in FA. This reminds me of the 2008 Dolphins team, except Smith was in his prime with an NFL arm, while Pennington, was very limited in his ability to throw with a weak arm.

The 2017-19 Browns - Acquired a ton of draft capital. They drafted Myles Garret, Jabril Peppers, David Njoku, Baker Mayfield, and Denzel Ward. Solid players all around but losing LT Joe Thomas has hurt that OL. They also took Nick Chubb in the 2nd round of the 2018 draft. Solid pick. Surprising not to take a LT at some point and that seems to be currently hurting Baker's growth.

So with all that said, what's the best approach? Take a Tua and OL help to solidify that side of the ball? Or take Chase Young and go the route of the 49ers and perhaps get a solid QB via trade/FA? Solidify the OL in 2020 and give Rosen a fair shot with a stronger OL and then get a QB in '21 if need be? And we're gonna have to spend FA $$ so who do we target?

(Assuming these guys aren't franchised or resigned to extensions) I would target Chris Jones, top DT for the Chiefs, 25 years old, Yannick Ngakoue, top DE for the Jaguars and only 24 years old, Brandon Scherff, top G for the Redskins, he's 27, and/or Anthony Castonzo, Solid LT for the Colts, Bryan Bulaga, solid LT for the Packers. I'd stay away from the QBs Philip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, and Teddy Bridgewater all look to hit the open market.

Fix the trenches in FA, draft Tua, another CB, and a LB. The 49ers and even Bills have shown that having a solid defense still reigns supreme.

I love how everybody says wow the dolphins have so much cap space. A lot of teams have a ton of cap space and don’t currently have 45 holes on the team.

But only one person said that Ryan Fitzpatrick takes this team to a 10-6 record and the playoffs.

I love how everybody says wow the dolphins have so much cap space. A lot of teams have a ton of cap space and don’t currently have 45 holes on the team.

A lot of teams? It's really just the Colts. Cowboys will need to resign Dak. Dolphins have $22M (!) more than 3rd place Bills. Once we move down a bit, we easily have $40M+ over the middle teams. That's nuts. Not to mention, with all our draft capital, we're not gonna be spending much on rookies.

There is a lot that can happen. What if Tua stays in college or Miami doesn’t win the first pick... or both!!! If Tua is on the board and we have the first pick, that’s easy! Pick Tua and then build. But what if Cincinnati has the first pick?

Better fix the offensive line. Draft 2-4 olineman . Sign 3 fa starters and let everything else work it self out. Start building through the draft paying our own. Obviously after drafting a qb first over all

Jimmy G and 49ers are load. They give us hope for future??

If we get 1st or 2nd, I look at where our
2nd pick is, weigh my options on the QBs, and go from there. For example: If we have 1st and 4th, maybe I go Chase Young and roll the dice on the QB I end up with (assuming there’s a few QBs I feel good about). If I feel overwhelmingly confident in one particular QB, I get him with the first pick, and then I see what’s there with our next pick. If the picks are 1st, 12th, etc..., QB is my first pick. Either way, I’m not drafting WR anywhere in round 1 like some mocks I’ve seen. Other than QB, I want to see help on both O and D line in the first few rounds. QB high up in round one, and 2 or 3 OL and 1 or 2 DL in the first couple of rounds would be ideal to me.

Last edited:
Like it or not, if Chase keeps throwing up the numbers he is, the needle is moving in his direction. Do I think we should take Tua….yes, but I don't think Johgarry was off base with his post.
There’s no looking back and having any shame in the pick if he ends up anywhere near Miles Garrett-ish.

Back
Top Bottom