2020 - Play GM | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 - Play GM

The team is nowhere near as bare as everyone wants to make it seem.

I would prioritize the offense in the first year since offensive players take longer to develop and gel together.

I wouldn't go in a big shopping spree as everyone seems to want us to either.

I would start by extending Walton, Boem andGodchaux. I'm not sure I want John Jenkins back, he'll probably be cheap... yeah, bring him back. Tender Biegel. Cut Jones. Keep two out of Talib, Rowe, Crawley and Tankersley. Keep most everybody else the same until preseason cuts. Even most UFAs we're 'losing'. It's not like they'll be expensive or sought after. Some sense of security and continuity is important. Plus we still need camp bodies.

The top FA RT would be nice, even if we had to make him the highest paid RT in the league. Serviceable starting Edge ROLB and NT, would be nice too.

I'm not making anymore big signings. We have so many draft picks I rather accommodate them first and then go for UFAs who remain unsigned after the draft and some more cuts.

In the draft I would go Tua obviously, hypothetically coming out, and then I would trade down from the Steelers' pick, hypothetically #12, to the very bottom of the first. That should at least net you two second rd picks. I would take one mid second this year and a next year second.

I think #16 is generous for the Texans first. I think it'll be closer to #19-#20. I would take Biadasz there. Maybe a little bit of a reach but I like him better than Humphrey plus that'll hopefully help Deiter, playing next to his Wisconsin former teammate. Plus Humphrey is too tall. I don't want to obstruct Tua's field vision.

I'm not sure how far down we'll need to trade to get two seconds from #12 but let's say #26 just to pick a number.

I would pick one of Ruggs and Smith. Whichever is left. One has to be. If they're both there Smith is more polished, and is having a better season, if he shows up weighing over 185 then him, if he weighs under that then Ruggs. Ruggs is already 190. He'll probably show up at the combine near 200 and run faster than Smith.

That would be a total of 3 seconds this year.

#33 is interesting. You might get a team to overpay for it. I think I would trade down to the bottom of the second for a second next year.

Trade our next second for a first next year. No matter whose. Teams turn around and fall off quick in this modern era, except the Pats, though, lol.

So back on the second we traded down from #33 to, FS Shaun Wade, OSU, would make sense.

Use our bottom second for Alex Leatherwood.

Then go on a DB craze the rest of the way and maybe a couple WRs more. I like the OSU kids. Under utilized. Use the low picks to trade up and get the guys you like.

Last edited:
Ok I know...

At #65 I'd like a tall boundary corner. AJ Terrell? If he's there he'd be perfect. I'd trade one of our fifths to trade up back into the second if I had to.

If we do end up with a 4th rd comp pick for James, then I would go with SS Khaleke Hudson. It might take another fifth and maybe a 6th to get all the way from the bottom of the 4th to the bottom of the third/top of the fourth to get him.

With the fifth we're left with I'd go with Slot CB John Reid. I'd like to move McCain back to Nickel Back and hopefully Reid will beat him soon.

With the next 6th, out of two left, I'd like a WR with good size. Emeka Emezie comes from a well coached NC State team.

Next 6th I'd go with another FS, Josh Metellus would make sense opposite Hudson.

In the 7, we might have two, I would pick K and/or P. Both, Parker and Haack could use preseason competition.

That's it.

Ok, obviously we don't know where we are picking with our own pick, but it's gotta be QB unless we slide to 5 or 6 because we went on some crazed winning streak. So let's assume 1 or 2 overall either Burrow or Tua.
With Pitt's pick gotta protect that QB. Hopefully Wirfs Iowa OT is there. He's played a lot of RT and would be perfect to protect Tua's blind side. I have probably not traded down with this pick.
Texans' pick I am trading down way late into the first. If CB Virgina Hall is still around I am nabbing him, broken leg and all. It's not like it was a knee.
2nd round #33 I am trading if I can.
I maybe go Leatherwood OT Alabama, Baun OLB Wisconsin(not sure where he is slated, but I'd check him out at some point. He is a monster for a middle rounder; haven't seen where he's mocked yet.

Id go DE, OL, CB/S with our 3 1sts, as I think there's several solid QBs that will fall past 1st. Assuming Tua, Herbert, Fromm all go in 1st, Id be happy waiting on Hurts in 2nd or 3rd or not at all. If we really spend this offseason and buy 3 solid starters or so, our team will not "need" an all-star QB to at least be competitive.

All signs point to 2 year rebuild anyway, Id really love taking 2 or 3 of the absolute best players in the draft at their position (best DE, best Safety, best OT).

Id go DE, OL, CB/S with our 3 1sts, as I think there's several solid QBs that will fall past 1st. Assuming Tua, Herbert, Fromm all go in 1st, Id be happy waiting on Hurts in 2nd or 3rd or not at all. If we really spend this offseason and buy 3 solid starters or so, our team will not "need" an all-star QB to at least be competitive.

All signs point to 2 year rebuild anyway, Id really love taking 2 or 3 of the absolute best players in the draft at their position (best DE, best Safety, best OT).
This. No one wants to accept it but it is how it will be. No #1 this year means build and trade for Lawrence the following with more building. Unless they have the #1 pick then it's Tua and an RT.

I cant believe folks here still want Tuankles..

There is a subset of fans here who do not believe in pocket QBs and/or development time.

It has been pointed out to them that a) QBs who rely on mobility are subject to a much greater injury risk, and b) are like RBs and tail waaay off when they hit 30, but they don't want to hear it. Reality has changed... their guy is magic.

It's disenheartening.

Let be real. If dolphins fix oline u dont need Tua. If oline is not fix than. You need qb who can run and pass. Draft Tua.

There is a subset of fans here who do not believe in pocket QBs and/or development time.

It has been pointed out to them that a) QBs who rely on mobility are subject to a much greater injury risk, and b) are like RBs and tail waaay off when they hit 30, but they don't want to hear it. Reality has changed... their guy is magic.

It's disenheartening.
You do know that most of the QBs in the top 5 of this draft are mobile QBs that includes Burrow and Herbert and if you’re waiting for Lawrence he’s even more mobile than Tua. You want a pocket passer Eason is probably the only one worth looking that’s not worth a high draft pick at this time at and he might not even come out.

There’s a difference between being able to manipulate the pocket with mobility which Tua possesses and one who takes off and runs at the first sign of O-line breakdown like Hurts.

Those QBs that sit in the pocket like statues are fading out of existence with how fast the defense is nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom