Here is my ranking, first based on last season college production:
1. joe Burrow
2. Tua Tagovailoa
3. jalen Hurts
4. Anthony Gordon
5. Cole McDonald
6. Justin Herbert
Now, Lets eliminate:
Joe Burrow is a one year wonder, therefore, not interested.
Tua Tagovailoa, injury concerns, height is 6-0, eliminate.
Jalen Hurts is 6-1, drops to second, third round.
Anthony Gordon, one year starter, came into senior bowl under 200 lbs, eliminate, not interested.
Cole McDonald, there are some issues with delivery so he drops below Herberts.
Herbert stays.
Therefore, the QB ranking is:
1. Justin Herbert
2. Cole McDonald
3. Jalen Hurts
That's it.

:lol:

One year ago, Joe Burrow was a Day 3 pick.

It wasn't because he was hiding out in the FCS or some poor Group of Five school. It wasn't because he hadn't really been a starter yet, as was the case with Cam Newton and Kyler Murray. It wasn't because he had unorthodox traits (e.g. release, height, runner) that traditionalists couldn't get beyond, as was the case with Phil Rivers, Kyler Murray, Robert Griffin, Lamar Jackson, etc.

It was because he didn't look that talented, nor all that productive. He had been a full year starter at one of the premier programs in the country...and he didn't look compelling.

So I think you'll have to forgive some people like Slimm who take Burrow's rating WAY THE HELL UP from what it was in 2018, but don't quite take it to the level that makes everyone happy (#1 overall).

I think he's explained himself pretty well on this topic. Burrow doesn't have a ton of arm talent. He was older than the guys he competed against in 2019; a graduate student with virtually no course load and nothing but time to watch film with Joe Brady all day. He had a spread offense tailor-fit to him with 5-out on virtually every play, run at a HUNH pace, with one of the finest OLs in the country, one of the finest RBs in the country, and probably the best WR pair in the country. He achieved great things in a great situation. A year before that, with nearly the same surrounding cast, but a less opportune offense, he was worse than Jake Fromm...by a comfortable margin.

I would certainly have Tua Tagovailoa above Joe Burrow. I have not yet decided about Jordan Love.

One year ago, Joe Burrow was a Day 3 pick.

It wasn't because he was hiding out in the FCS or some poor Group of Five school. It wasn't because he hadn't really been a starter yet, as was the case with Cam Newton and Kyler Murray. It wasn't because he had unorthodox traits (e.g. release, height, runner) that traditionalists couldn't get beyond, as was the case with Phil Rivers, Kyler Murray, Robert Griffin, Lamar Jackson, etc.

It was because he didn't look that talented, nor all that productive. He had been a full year starter at one of the premier programs in the country...and he didn't look compelling.

So I think you'll have to forgive some people like Slimm who take Burrow's rating WAY THE HELL UP from what it was in 2018, but don't quite take it to the level that makes everyone happy (#1 overall).

I think he's explained himself pretty well on this topic. Burrow doesn't have a ton of arm talent. He was older than the guys he competed against in 2019; a graduate student with virtually no course load and nothing but time to watch film with Joe Brady all day. He had a spread offense tailor-fit to him with 5-out on virtually every play, run at a HUNH pace, with one of the finest OLs in the country, one of the finest RBs in the country, and probably the best WR pair in the country. He achieved great things in a great situation. A year before that, with nearly the same surrounding cast, but a less opportune offense, he was worse than Jake Fromm...by a comfortable margin.

I would certainly have Tua Tagovailoa above Joe Burrow. I have not yet decided about Jordan Love.

In reference to your J. Love comment above.

Well that should tell you something right there.

Last edited:
1. Burrow
2. Tua
3. Love
4. Herbert
5. Morgan
6. Fromm
7. Eason
8. Hurts
9. Kaleb Barker
10. Davidson
11. Huntley
12. Lewerke
13. Stanley
14. Gordon

Aaron Rodgers didn't set the world on fire his sophomore year at Cal - 2903 passing yards, 19TDS and 5 INTS.

I see the growth as a good thing. Burrow was just being overlooked the year prior because he didn't have the gaudy numbers. LSU was competitive but teams like Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia and their young QB's were the kool-aid. people paid attention more to Fromm and realized he was as talented as we thought. Burrow started getting attention this year and wowed, continued to wow, and continued to wow. Its not like Burrow was bad his junior year, he wasn't bad, he just wasn't on everyone's radar because of the reasons I mentioned above. Arm talent is over rated. would it be nice? sure. does a QB have to have it to be successful? No. Tom Brady never had a cannon, neither did Montana, Brees, Peyton Manning, etc. But Burrow has EVERYTHING ELSE you are looking for in a QB. I dont think Burrow will ever be as explosive as Mahomes (but who is?) but could he spread the ball around like Brady/Brees has for years? Yes. And hes a much better athlete than those guys. The best thing about Burrow is his leadership ability and his heart/desire to win. Thats what we've been missing since Marino.

Arm talent is more than just arm strength.

Guys like Brady, Montana and Manning were incredibly accurate.

Peyton Manning is the only guy I have seen who reminded me of Marino in terms of accuracy on 20+ yard throws. Dan was the best I have ever seen in just laying the deep throws right in to a guys hands.

If you look past Burrow's gaudy stats there is still a lot to like. he showed leadership and a winners mentality, as well as being more mobile than you would expect.

I think a healthy Tua is a better prospect but that guy might not exist.

I like Love's potential but he has not shown nearly enough to be ahead of Burrow.

Burrow is not Danny Wuerffel.

Eason is potentially better than all of them. He's got the strongest arm and the fastest release in this class, and if he responds well to a 2-3 year learning curve, he'll be the best QB in the NFL.

But he aint ready to start... he's a total project.

The Tuaistas always say, shoot for the stars... we have to, have to take this guy in the first round... even trade up for him... even though he's never healthy... (I think they're wrong, but that isn't the point here)... Eason is potentially better... VERY HIGH risk of bust, but if he hits... Oh God... THAT is shooting for the stars, trying to draft a pocket QB who can play until he is 40.

Tua
Burrow
Herbert
Fromm
Love

I think the OP rankings are based on ceiling (?). Love probably has the largest gap between current play and ceiling, but he’s also going to have the hardest time reaching his ceiling out of the group.

It's a great debate. From what I've seen, I think Tua and Burrow are close. Without the injuries, I'd put Tua number one. But can a team trust him durability-wise?

I think there's a drop to Herbert and a smaller drop after that to Love and Hurts. I wish Hurts used his eyes better. If that's coachable, he has a chance to be a lot better than fans think.

Of course, so much comes down to coaching for all of these quarterbacks coming out.

Eason is potentially better than all of them. He's got the strongest arm and the fastest release in this class, and if he responds well to a 2-3 year learning curve, he'll be the best QB in the NFL.

But he aint ready to start... he's a total project.

The Tuaistas always say, shoot for the stars... we have to, have to take this guy in the first round... even trade up for him... even though he's never healthy... (I think they're wrong, but that isn't the point here)... Eason is potentially better... VERY HIGH risk of bust, but if he hits... Oh God... THAT is shooting for the stars, trying to draft a pocket QB who can play until he is 40.
Eason has a better chance of being out of the league in five years than being a star.

Back
Top Bottom