2020 Quarterback Rankings | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Quarterback Rankings

Eason is potentially better than all of them. He's got the strongest arm and the fastest release in this class, and if he responds well to a 2-3 year learning curve, he'll be the best QB in the NFL.

But he aint ready to start... he's a total project.

The Tuaistas always say, shoot for the stars... we have to, have to take this guy in the first round... even trade up for him... even though he's never healthy... (I think they're wrong, but that isn't the point here)... Eason is potentially better... VERY HIGH risk of bust, but if he hits... Oh God... THAT is shooting for the stars, trying to draft a pocket QB who can play until he is 40.

Eason is Ryan Mallett

Tua
Burrow
Herbert
Fromm
Love

I think the OP rankings are based on ceiling (?). Love probably has the largest gap between current play and ceiling, but he’s also going to have the hardest time reaching his ceiling out of the group.

It's based on biased homerism.

I think the OP rankings are based on ceiling (?).

I love these thought exercises for this reason, and it's why I appreciate seeing these lists on our forums. Beyond the tools a player has, should we project (and consider as part of player ranking) career longevity, floor and ceiling, injury risk, time-to-start, and so on? I know there isn't a formula, but I suppose that's why I find it so interesting.

should we project (and consider as part of player ranking) career longevity, floor and ceiling, injury risk, time-to-start, and so on?

We should only project whether a QB on his rookie contract, in his first four years, can lead the team to be competitive with the best of the teams over a course of each season, take them to the playoffs, and give the team a chance at a superbowl.

Nothing else, not whether he is a decent quarterback, whether he has the tools, or footwork, or whether he can be in the league and good for the next 10 years.

In all the infinite realities there is not one where Eason is the best QB in the NFL.

We should only project whether a QB on his rookie contract, in his first four years, can lead the team to be competitive with the best of the teams over a course of each season, take them to the playoffs, and give the team a chance at a superbowl.

Nothing else, not whether he is a decent quarterback, whether he has the tools, or footwork, or whether he can be in the league and good for the next 10 years.

I don't entirely disagree with Largo.

:eyepop:

I think that a strict numerical rating might be less than accurate.

Let me try it this way.

Burrow. High floor, high ceiling. Ready to start right away.

Tua. Low floor (injury), high ceiling. Needs a year off

Herbert. Mid floor, high ceiling. Ready to start.

Love. Low floor, high ceiling. Needs a year, maybe two.

Eason. Low floor, high ceiling. Needs a year, maybe two.

Fromm. Low floor, mid ceiling. Sure looks like a backup to me.

Hurts. Mid floor, high ceiling... as a wingback. He's no QB.

I think that a strict numerical rating might be less than accurate.

Let me try it this way.

Burrow. High floor, high ceiling. Ready to start right away.

Tua. Low floor (injury), high ceiling. Needs a year off

Herbert. Mid floor, high ceiling. Ready to start.

Love. Low floor, high ceiling. Needs a year, maybe two.

Eason. Low floor, high ceiling. Needs a year, maybe two.

Fromm. Low floor, mid ceiling. Sure looks like a backup to me.

Hurts. Mid floor, high ceiling... as a wingback. He's no QB.
I agree with most of that.

If Miami does draft Herbert, I think he starts at some point in 2020. Love and Tua would likely sit for a year, meaning the team might not know if they have answered their quarterback need heading into the 2021 offseason.

I think Hurts might be better than many fans are giving him credit for. Look what John Harbaugh did with a quarterback who was considered by many as just an athlete.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see Hurts as a full time passer. But some times tools will overcome current training level.

The 'tools' guys are Eason, Herbert, Love and Hurts...

Burrow, Tua, and Fromm are the guys who are presently at a higher level of training/awareness.

The problem with tool-based analysis is that the players may never learn how to use what they have, but if they do, their ceiling is generally greater because if they do manage to catch up with the others, their tools give them the edge.

It's the same dilemma as choosing between a big man and a smaller one, (or a fast man vs a slow one) In football, you always want the larger man... if their skill sets are the same. Many times they are not and the smaller man wins out. The ultimate goal is a large man with a high skill-set... then you have a pro-bowl player.

What we fans don't get to see is the interview/classroom stuff. Oh we get a few rumours, but not enough to understand if a player is considered to be worth spending some time on teaching.

1. Burrow
2. Tua
3. Love
4. Herbert

Not surprisingly I'm in total agreement with Tannenbombs on ordering of the first 4. I deleted beyond 4 because if we are taking any of them it will feel like drafting Guy Benjamin all over again.

Big gap for me from Love to Herbert. I have no problem ignoring Jordan Love's 2019. With Justin Herbert it requires ignoring one fault after another. Some of it might be fixable. All of it?

The Jordan Love rippers are going to look silly once he's making wow reel throws off platform. Wait a minute. This is so unfair. We watched 2019 and saw none of that. Is this legal?

Slimm's list on top is like a preseason 2019 list. How can that type of thing possibly be ridiculed to the extent we've seen in this thread? ckparrothead summarized the basics. That is exactly a preseason 2019 list with the exception of boosting Burrow from nowhere to ahead of Herbert. Preseason 2019 it would have been Tua clear cut #1 and then debate between Herbert and Love at #2.

I like preseason rankings more than anyone here. I like systematic approach more than anyone here. Exceptions are rare but necessary under extraordinary conditions. I believe Tannenbombs agrees with me that Joe Burrow calls for an exception. The combination of traits is so exceptional I don't care he didn't do it for multiple seasons. As I've mentioned, I detected plenty of it in that 2018 bowl game against UCF, then 2019 felt like an uptick extension of something already seen.

Slimm devoted a lengthy preseason thread to Tua above Trevor Lawrence, while spotlighting some of Lawrence's hidden faults. During the recent national championship game I rooted for Clemson but never kidded myself that they had much of a chance. Burrow was pinned deep in his own territory the first few possessions. Lawrence failed to take full advantage. The game was essentially over. I was telling that to family members while watching the game. Normal parameters didn't apply at all. Once the game turned in Burrow's favor an avalanche was inevitable, almost as inevitable as Lawrence pressing with too much line drive dependence once his tentacled receivers weren't bailing him out from a yard outside the boundary.

Joe Burrow can look bad on a weak NFL team especially at the outset of his career. If he gets pressured he'll throw some floaters and look very ordinary from a physical standpoint. I won't be surprised if it plays out exactly that way and the knockers swarm.

Tua won't have that type of fluctuation based on setting. He'll look the same as always. Then it's just a matter of whether or not he can have an Anthony Munoz-type career with the injury scare buried deep within the collegiate resume.

Back
Top Bottom