2020 Quarterback Rankings | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Quarterback Rankings

Putting Love above Burrow is interesting. Based on physical skills, I can see that.

But can Love match Burrow in decision making, reading defenses, intangibles etc. That is his challenge moving forward.

Because Slim isn’t easily won over by new shiny objects. Or Johnny Comelately’s.

These folks bitching about Burrow’s ranking surely didn’t have him top 3 before last season began. So they are basing it off this ONE season. Yet pretending as if it’s the same sample size of a 3 or 4 year performer.

Could Burrow be better than those rated above him? Sure. But I’m pretty sure Slim is judging it like a marathon rather than a sprint. One great season with all the talent LSU had doesn’t make up all the ground created over the previous 4 years.

Circling back to LSU’s talent, they arguably had top 5 talent at most every position. Just look at most player rankings and you’ll find a LSU player in the top 5.

Tua naysayers always mention the talent surrounding him yet conveniently ignore what Burrow had surrounding him.

And excuses are made why Burrow did nothing for 4 years prior to 2019. Whatever the reasons, it is truth and reality.

Lastly, people laughed at the hand measurements but they might well play a factor in his career. If he ends up in a cold weather city and cold weather division, those kinds of things just might matter.

All in all, Burrow is a one-year wonder right now. That’s truth, not opinion. Now, that truth doesn’t prevent him from continuing the same level of play or even becoming better. But it also doesn’t prove him to be great either.

Most folks tend to want to see a larger sample size of great play until they are completely sold.

For those reason’s, I believe Slimm’s evaluation and ranking is justified — even if it ends up being proven wrong in hindsight. It’s about judging in the here and now IMO. Although Slimm probably bases some on the potential he sees in each prospect too.

Last edited:
Because Slim isn’t easily won over by new shiny objects. Or Johnny Comelately’s.

These folks bitching about Burrow’s ranking surely didn’t have him top 3 before last season began. So they are basing it off this ONE season. Yet pretending as if it’s the same sample size of a 3 or 4 year performer.

Could Burrow be better than those rated above him? Sure. But I’m pretty sure Slim is judging it like a marathon rather than a sprint. One great season with all the talent LSU had doesn’t make up all the ground created over the previous 4 years.

Circling back to LSU’s talent, they arguably had top 5 talent at most every position. Just look at most player rankings and you’ll find a LSU player in the top 5.

Tua naysayers always mention the talent surrounding him yet conveniently ignore what Burrow had surrounding him.

And excuses are made why Burrow did nothing for 4 years prior to 2019. Whatever the reasons, it is truth and reality.

Lastly, people laughed at the hand measurements but they might well play a factor in his career. If he ends up in a cold weather city and cold weather division, those kinds of things just might matter.

All in all, Burrow is a one-year wonder right now. That’s truth, not opinion. Now, that truth doesn’t prevent him from continuing the same level of play or even becoming better. But it also doesn’t prove him to be great either.

Most folks tend to want to see a larger sample size of great play until they are completely sold.

For those reason’s, I believe Slimm’s evaluation and ranking is justified — even if it ends up being proven wrong in hindsight. It’s about judging in the here and now IMO. Although Slimm probably bases some on the potential he sees in each prospect too.
Slimm could end up being right. You just never know. Burrow could go into Cincinnati and struggle, while Love could go to a team where he can sit and learn. Then, maybe he becomes a star. Nobody really knows.

It does seem odd, though, after the year Burrow had in comparison to Love's. No question, Love didn't have the same quality coaching and talent and I'm sure Slimm factored that in. At the same time, I don't know if a college quarterback ever had a better year than Burrow did at LSU.

Slimm could end up being right. You just never know. Burrow could go into Cincinnati and struggle, while Love could go to a team where he can sit and learn. Then, maybe he becomes a star. Nobody really knows.

It does seem odd, though, after the year Burrow had in comparison to Love's. No question, Love didn't have the same quality coaching and talent and I'm sure Slimm factored that in. At the same time, I don't know if a college quarterback ever had a better year than Burrow did at LSU.

Impact wise, Vince Young surely did. I’d argue Tebow too. Not statistically, of course. But I digress.

One season doesn’t outweigh 3 or 4 seasons. That’s the point. Love may not have had the greatest season in 2019, but he played well in other seasons. Had a larger sample size to look at. Same goes for Tua.

None of that means they’ll be better. But when gambling on unknowns, the more info you have the better odds of making the right decision. Nothing is 100%. We all know that. It’s about maximizing odds. And not being overwhelmed by small sample sizes. Keeping perspective.

Burrow had 1 really great showing during a 5 year career. Tua and Love both showed more over a 3 year period of time. And Love also has the physical attributes and potential to pile on top of the sundae.

Everybody has an opinion...I don’t think the consensus of scouts and draft evaluators lines up with this list...I don’t see how anybody could watch the 2019 college season and not grade Joe Burrow as QB1...he was simply the best and displayed everything you look for in a championship franchise QB.

Impact wise, Vince Young surely did. I’d argue Tebow too. Not statistically, of course. But I digress.

One season doesn’t outweigh 3 or 4 seasons. That’s the point. Love may not have had the greatest season in 2019, but he played well in other seasons. Had a larger sample size to look at. Same goes for Tua.

None of that means they’ll be better. But when gambling on unknowns, the more info you have the better odds of making the right decision. Nothing is 100%. We all know that. It’s about maximizing odds. And not being overwhelmed by small sample sizes. Keeping perspective.

Burrow had 1 really great showing during a 5 year career. Tua and Love both showed more over a 3 year period of time. And Love also has the physical attributes and potential to pile on top of the sundae.

What’s a larger sample size? A period time? Or actual attempted passes at the college level?

Because if the latter is the scale... Joe Burrow has the larger sample size...with over 900 attempted passes.....while Tua is at 600 plus.

I think many feel Love has a huge ceiling...but he also has a low floor.

We will see what the NFL thinks of these prospects when we see where they were drafted.

I'm here right now, but it changes daily behind the top two, the top two are so far ahead of everyone else though in my mind:

1. Tua
2. Burrow
3. Love
4. Herbert
5. Hurts
6. Fromm
7. Morgan

Not wasting a pick on anyone else in the top 5 rounds, unless we want to bring in a development guy in those late rounds, I have them like this:

1.Huntley
2.Perkins
3.Fine
4. Tate
5. Bryant
6. Montez

Nah He's still upset about Burrow Whooping Alabama and his boy Tua getting hurt again.

I could understand having Tua ahead of Burrow but to have Jordan Love who is also a one year wonder ahead of Burrow is just straight bias.

Good call on Young.

Hard to imagine most NFL GM'S wouldn't have Burrow as the number one quarterback from this draft. I know it was just one year, but other than that he showed just about everything a team is looking for.

Chris Simms just ranked Tua number four, behind Burrow, Herbert and Love. That's odd to me as well.

Obviously. every one has an opinion. Will be interesting how it all works out.

I think the good thing for us at 5 is that if people can't agree on the top 4 QBs more thank likely we will have our choice of at least 2.

Love these lists. Did I miss the EDGE, LB and secondary rankings from Slimm?

IF you think Tua will continue to be injury prone and unreliable then you should not even give him a 1st round grade.

I have trouble believing there are teams willing to give up extra picks for the privilege of drafting a guy with such an injury history.

I don’t have a problem with anyone who has Joe Burrow as their top quarterback. Burrow is efficient, accurate, and had a heck of a season. Tua’s durability is a question mark, and it scares some away. It’s a reasonable reaction.

However, Joe Burrow is going to be a game manager at the next level. He’ll be a checkdown king.

Vince Young’s season was a great one. That was a good call. Cam Newton’s 2010 season was probably the best. He scored 50 TD’s while leading the worst defense to win a national title in a long time to an undefeated season. Auburn was 60th in total defense. There’s no national championship team even close to that in recent memory. Much less an undefeated one.

This is a draft where I’d prefer to gamble on the upside of Jordan Love over Burrow. Certainly prefer the talent of Tua over Burrow. I feel like I know how Burrow is going to end up.

I think Burrow is a safer option, but not necessarily a better one in my opinion.

I have a few questions for all the usual internet know nothing jerkoffs that have never been within 4 feet of a mouthpiece in their life but like to pretend they know how all these QB’s are going to end up -

1. What coachable trait of Joe Burrow’s game projects best to the next level?

2. What non-coachable aspect of Joe Burrow’s game project best to the next level?

3. What coachable trait of Burrow’s game projects the worst to the next level?

4. What non-coachable aspect of Burrow’s game projects the worst to the next level?

5. What are 3 things Joe Burrow needs to improve on?

I don’t have a problem with anyone who has Joe Burrow as their top quarterback. Burrow is efficient, accurate, and had a heck of a season. Tua’s durability is a question mark, and it scares some away. It’s a reasonable reaction.

However, Joe Burrow is going to be a game manager at the next level. He’ll be a checkdown king.

Vince Young’s season was a great one. That was a good call. Cam Newton’s 2010 season was probably the best. He scored 50 TD’s while leading the worst defense to win a national title in a long time to an undefeated season. Auburn was 60th in total defense. There’s no national championship team even close to that in recent memory. Much less an undefeated one.

This is a draft where I’d prefer to gamble on the upside of Jordan Love over Burrow. Certainly prefer the talent of Tua over Burrow. I feel like I know how Burrow is going to end up.

I think Burrow is a safer option, but not necessarily a better one in my opinion.

I have a few questions for all the usual internet know nothing jerkoffs that have never been within 4 feet of a mouthpiece in their life but like to pretend they know how all these QB’s are going to end up -

1. What coachable trait of Joe Burrow’s game projects best to the next level?

2. What non-coachable aspect of Joe Burrow’s game project best to the next level?

3. What coachable trait of Burrow’s game projects the worst to the next level?

4. What non-coachable aspect of Burrow’s game projects the worst to the next level?

5. What are 3 things Joe Burrow needs to improve on?

1. Accuracy from the pocket

2. Calm/clutch. It’s something he simply possesses imo. When confident in his offensive system he very rarely made the wrong decision.

3. This is a tough one for me bc I think he checks the box w/ almost everything, which is why I think he’s a pretty clean prospect. I’ll say can he get to the part of the game mentally where he be prepared to beat you inside the numbers. I don’t think he’ll be fooled by many coverages, but how can he consistently beat the ones that play to his weakness (arm strength)

4. I don’t think your gonna squeeze much more juice out of his arm. I think he’s gonna get by in the NFL by always being a step ahead mentally, being prepared and knowing his offense inside/out. I think he knows that’s his ticket and I think w/ the right coach he can do that pretty quickly in the NFL

Keeping the play open after his 1/2 read. I think he has a great knack on taking off when the play isn’t there and how to take what yards are there, but in the NFL wanna see him hold on to the ball and make plays when the pocket isn’t so clean.

Can he find more leg drive w/ out losing his fluidity

Hard to imagine most NFL GM'S wouldn't have Burrow as the number one quarterback from this draft.

Only due to Tua’s injuries and the unknowns surrounding them. Most acknowledge that Tua has been and still is the better prospect, if healthy.

And there are some (not me) that believe Herbert is a better prospect too.

Back
Top Bottom