2021 Composite Ranking (Defense) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021 Composite Ranking (Defense)

It is not a total crapshoot but it is more of a crapshoot than anyone wants to admit.

The intangibles mean so much more in the NFL than they do in MLB or the NBA.Football is such a tough, physical game compared to baseball and hoops that you really have to be motivated and dedicated to succeed, even with great talent.You have to really love the game and be willing to work hard at it.You have to be willing to be a real professional in the true sense of the word, not to just let your talent carry you as far as it can.The guys who are not going to change when they get paid, who are going to keep working to get better and not feel as if they have accomplished their mission.The guys who NEED to win and love to compete.

Finding that in players is harder than seeing all the measurables and watching tape.

Jaelen Phillips reminds me of James Gayle.

I know that seems an insult but I really liked Gayle and to this day I'm not really sure why he flamed out so quickly.

The more I watch Ossai, the more i like him. As a pure edge rusher he hasn't cemented R1 status, but his work rate vs the run, chasing down QBs, covering RBs and TEs is nothing less than elite. It's exhausting watching him. It's like there's 4 of him out there. I don't know how he doesn't collapse from exhaustion. In a 3-4 he could be a star. I could see NE snap him up. He'd be in play for me at 18.

Whatever about being a physical freak, it's his work ethic that's freakish. Potent ****tail. Watch this kid take off.

Whatever about being a physical freak, it's his work ethic that's freakish. Potent ****tail. Watch this kid take off.

The biggest problem with physical freaks is they are not always the hardest workers.

Ossai seems like the type of guy that gets drafted by the Steelers/Ravens, turns into a star, and we all say DUH

His coaches rave about his work ethic and love of the game.

He is a guy who could really improve with coaching and experience on the edge.

#18 might be a little high for him or Zaven Collins so a small trade down to grab one of them in the mid to late 20's would make me happy.

The biggest problem with physical freaks is they are not always the hardest workers.

Ossai seems like the type of guy that gets drafted by the Steelers/Ravens, turns into a star, and we all say DUH

Absolutely. Just go watch a Texas game against anyone you like. The guy just jumps off the screen at you. He's everywhere. His pure pass rush probably doesn't look that of a guy with his athletic gifts, which suggests that what's holding him back is just technique and time. But the length, the hustle, the relentlessness, the speed of the guy tells you everything you should need to know about his potential.

This kid chases down plays he has no business even being involved in. He'll hare 40yds backwards in the off chance the safety doesn't get the RB out of bounds. He'll do it in the fourth quarter as likely as in the 1st. And even if he has a 5% chance of being needed on the play, well one in 20 times he's going to stop a TD, in his mind.

You have to applaud that desire. It's rare.

And that desire makes it much more likely that he will actually reach his athletic potential.

Flores has to love him.

I have zero problem with Miami ending up with him.

Any thoughts on Jabril Cox?
Is very good in coverage and certainly has the athleticism.

There are questions about his instincts and ability to process so he probably fits best where he won't have to do a lot of thinking.That might be an issue for the Fins as they ask a lot of their defensive players mentally.But he was making a big jump from North Dakota St to the SEC and he fit right in so the athleticism and talent is there.

And he can cover ground and make plays that is for sure.The coverage skills will certainly attract teams to him.

Middle of R2 probably.

Late getting to Elerson Smith, but he's an easy mover with great burst. Lots of similarities to Ojulari imo.

He's got that really intriguing basketballer body and look to him where you don't really realize that he's as heavy as he is. I just wish he was a little bit more bendy, but I also think I wouldn't be surprised if he got into an NFL program and it started to look a little bit different that way.

If Elerson Smith is not successful because he doesn't start showing more flexibility, I think the name that comes to mind is Greyson Gunheim. Though I guess it's worth noting Gunheim wasn't nearly so tall.

But when I watch him I see a lot of Jason Taylor.

EDIT: MKRISTO BRUCE! That's the guy I've been trying to think of for weeks. Not Greyson Gunheim.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom