2021 Free Agents | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021 Free Agents

I don't know if there will be any really big additions. My guess is that our biggest salary additions will be around that $10 mil/per range. I'm thinking something like the Flowers, Ogbah, Lawson additions. In that range I think the options are WRs like Corey Davis or Curtis Samuel or G/Cs like Thuney or Corey Linsley or David Andrews if we don't sign Karras. Maybe a RB like Chris Carson or Mike Davis? It seems tough to imagine us going in big at RB, but we did pursue Le'veon Bell pretty hard so who knows maybe they'll feel the same about Aaron Jones?
Wait, you just said we'd not go for guys that would cost more than 10mill per year but then you listed Thuney and Lindsey? Lindsey's probably the best center in the NFL and Thuney's one of the top guards so both will cost a ton of money and so would Andrews and Jones. I highly doubt we'd go for any of those 4 guys. I can see them spending on a guy like Corey Davis tho.

I still love Marvin Jones Jr. as our FA Wr. He’s going to be a steal. Dede Westbrook can be had for cheap. He is still young and adds potential depth. I do like Aaron Jones but I actually really like the way Gaskins played after his return. I’d rather see a rookie brought in to compete with him. For me it’s all about depth. We are well coached. We don’t need an all madden team. Just solid players throughout the roster. IMO

Wait, you just said we'd not go for guys that would cost more than 10mill per year but then you listed Thuney and Lindsey? Lindsey's probably the best center in the NFL and Thuney's one of the top guards so both will cost a ton of money and so would Andrews and Jones. I highly doubt we'd go for any of those 4 guys. I can see them spending on a guy like Corey Davis tho.
Spotrac has Linsley's market value at $9.1 mil per. He's excellent, but he's also 30. They have Andrews at $7.1 mil per. Thuney and Jones would be higher, but as I said, they were willing to go higher for Le'veon Bell so they could go above the $10 mil range for a player they love and see as a great fit. I think Thuney and Jones could fit that bill and I actually would prefer either of those guys to Bell.

Corey davis dropped a goose egg in tbe playoff game. In an offense that works as much as possible off play action.

thats hard to do unless you just aren’t showing up.

I seriously doubt brady let’s the best hands he’s ever played with per his own words in Chris Godwin get away from tampa

I feel like people think we have more money than we do with all these big names going around.. maybe 1 of them, but we are likely looking for bargains

isn’t it like 26 mil? And a good chunk of that goes to rookies. Just saying, we can be smart about the spending. I guess If you can recoup some money from McCain, that makes signing a new safety much easier, but Maye and Williams definitely will be more costly than mccain

all those top tier receivers will cost more than Parker too, that why I’m on board for Samuel for sure
Honestly I feel like cap wise we are going to be alot better then many teams in the league, I think alot of players are going to take bargin 1 year deals and wait out covid for their payday... It's just facts

We sit at 32 million in space according to OTC, If you cut dead weight imo like Albert WIlson, Allen Hurns, Jakeem Grant, and Clayton Fejedelem that would save another 8 or 9 million right there..
You can do alot with 42 million dollars in this Low Cap free agency year imo. Even if you set aside 12-15 million for draft picks.. that leaves you with 28 million around to spend on Free Agents and the such.

Holy **** i was snooping around the teams with the least cap space.. Atlanta is currently 24 million dollars over and most the players contracts have guaranteed cash.. Falcons are gonna have to trade Julio, Matt Ryan maybe but they need someone to take the dead money on.. insanity they are in cap hell and gonna be next year too with dead money no matter what they do.

I'd trade for Julio Jones but even without the guaranteed money its still 20 plus million dollars.. Definitely gonna need to restructure if he is traded. Make no mistake though having to have a team take on that contract is going to lower the asking price.. I'd say a 2nd round pick and maybe some change and the falcon's make that trade.

Last edited:
Honestly I feel like cap wise we are going to be alot better then many teams in the league, I think alot of players are going to take bargin 1 year deals and wait out covid for their payday... It's just facts

We sit at 32 million in space according to OTC, If you cut dead weight imo like Albert WIlson, Allen Hurns, Jakeem Grant, and Clayton Fejedelem that would save another 8 or 9 million right there..
You can do alot with 42 million dollars in this Low Cap free agency year imo. Even if you set aside 12-15 million for draft picks.. that leaves you with 28 million around to spend on Free Agents and the such.

Holy **** i was snooping around the teams with the least cap space.. Atlanta is currently 24 million dollars over and most the players contracts have guaranteed cash.. Falcons are gonna have to trade Julio, Matt Ryan maybe but they need someone to take the dead money on.. insanity they are in cap hell and gonna be next year too with dead money no matter what they do.

I'd trade for Julio Jones but even without the guaranteed money its still 20 plus million dollars.. Definitely gonna need to restructure if he is traded. Make no mistake though having to have a team take on that contract is going to lower the asking price.. I'd say a 2nd round pick and maybe some change and the falcon's make that trade.
As crazy as that is about Atlanta... Have you seen New Orleans? They're like 100 million over the projected cap! Talk about cap hell. I'm not sure what they're going to be able to do to get under the cap.

Cutting these four players would not net us enough money to pay even one FA WR. For instance, cutting Hurns would only save 766K (about enough to sign a replacement at minimum salary off of the street), and would leave us with over 2 million in dead cap. Cutting Hurns won't help. Fedge would save us over 2 million... he might be a likely cut, but again, bringing in a replacement off of the street would cut that almost in half. Making these cuts can't be viewed independently of what we'd have to spend to bring in just a guy to replace them. The amounts for these four players are actually pretty minimal.

Remember, the top 51 contracts are what count against us...and we only have 42 in house, and NO team runs with fewer players than what is allowed

The 32 million number you cite is only half-way true. Our effective cap space is actually only 26 million. The reason that the two numbers are different is that we only have 42 players under contract and getting up to a full roster (at minimum amounts) would cost the difference.

Now... all of this said... NEXT YEAR, when the cap goes back up, and some of our iffy contracts end, THEN we'll be in a better cap situation. Just in time to resign our own players.

Now... the market in 2022 will be more interesting... The Cap will likely rise 20-30 million dollars due to the end of Covid, and we'll have the ability to release players making real money.

Kyle Van Noy: 11 million
Shaq Lawson: 9 Million
Ereck Flowers: 10 Million
Bobby McCain: 7 Million
Eric Rowe: 4.5 Million

...and all of them with VERY small amounts of dead money.

This was set up like this, on purpose. We will have a TON of cap space in 2022, if we choose to use it. You never know though, we might decide to keep the above players; we certainly will if they are playing well.

Didn't even realize one of my favorite players, Carl Lawson, is a FA. Wanted that guy over Charles Harris, Mkinnley, or Jordan Willis that year. I think he is definitely trending up.

If I'm not looking to give out a big contract, but I want the potential for a big payoff, Will Fuller would be my top target. Injury history and the recent steroid-suspension likely keep his cost lowish, but he's one of the most dangerous receivers in the league. Gets open quick, has speed for days, and he tracks the ball really well. Receivers who are both good and exceptionally fast are pretty rare.

Back
Top Bottom