2021: Was Tua better than Lamar Jackson?; Chargers Herbert NOT a Top-3 QB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021: Was Tua better than Lamar Jackson?; Chargers Herbert NOT a Top-3 QB

MHernandez

Active Roster
Reaction score
PODCAST: Madman Mike & Robby T with another offseason filler episode before training camp. Mike pulls out some major stats to prove that Miami Dolphins QB Tua was a better passer than Ravens Lamar Jackson in 2021. IS Lamar as good as national media portrays him to be? Chargers Justin Herbert has some nice numbers, but Rob & Mike explain why he is NOT a Top 3 QB.

This may stem from something I saw where Lamar was left out of the top 10 by NFL execs. Not sure!

The perception is that Lamar is an elite player and one of the best in the league at the position.

The reality is that Tua is significantly more advanced in the arm and mechanics department.

It's hard to rationalize Lamar Jackson being better than Tua at the job of being an NFL QB.

Make no mistake about it, on any given Sunday Lamar Jackson could destroy any defense with the right parts around him and an accurate outing. However it's not going to be the case in Baltimore as it appears top shelf WR's don't want to be a part of that. Can't blame them. You can pretty much mark down the Ravens for a WR right now in the first round next year. No one worth a damn is going there otherwise.

They are very fortunate to have Mark Andrews. VERY, VERY fortunate.

Ummm so I voted in the poll on the site about which rookie HC will have the most wins.

I voted for our guy of course, little biased but Denver's Nathaniel Hackett would've been my only other consideration. That's irrelevant to this post though. After voting for the Dolphins the rest of the percentages were revealed. McDaniel has 24% of the vote. Hackett just 9%.

But Matt Eberflus with the Bears has 21% of the vote? WTF are some people smoking? I LOVE Justin Fields. I am OSU homer. My two closest friends are both Bears fans and I legitimately pull for them when it has no effect on us.

I am not thrilled to say this but the Bears are at the bottom of the league in terms of overall talent. Jaguars and Jets have SIGNIFICANTLY more talent than Chicago.

Justin Fields is a grown man with a big arm, he's going to do stuff but it will be a struggle for him this year. He will spend most of the season in ice baths.

Last edited:
Ummm so I voted in the poll on the site about which rookie HC will have the most wins.

I voted for our guy of course, little biased but Denver's Nathaniel Hackett would've been my only other consideration. That's irrelevant to this post though. After voting for the Dolphins the rest of the percentages were revealed. McDaniel has 24% of the vote. Hackett just 9%.

But Matt Eberflus with the Bears has 21% of the vote? WTF are some people smoking? I LOVE Justin Fields. I am OSU homer. My two closest friends are both Bears fans and I legitimately pull for them when it has no effect on us.

I am not thrilled to say this but the Bears are at the bottom of the league in terms of overall talent. Jaguars and Jets have SIGNIFICANTLY more talent than Chicago.

Justin Fields is a grown man with a big arm, he's going to do stuff but it will be a struggle for him. He will spend most of the season in ice baths.
Fields is getting the 2021 Tua treatment with the lack of support on offense. Could get ugly

Fields is getting the 2021 Tua treatment with the lack of support on offense. Could get ugly

Ya, didn't really think about it that way but its a comparable situation. Darnell Mooney isn't Jaylen Waddle but he's pretty damn good. It appears they struck gold on a Green Wave player again (Matt Forte).

The OL has always been bad so that's nothing new obviously but the defense doesn't have as much talent as they are used to having. Even before trading Mack, the D was on the decline.

Overall though its bleak right now in Chicago. Two of my closest friends are Bears fans and they aren't talking about the upcoming season very much, where as I can't shut up about it.

Pure passer? Yeah, Tua is probably better. That isn't what makes Lamar Dangerous though so I'm not sure why anyone would compare that.

It's like saying Jerome Bettis ran with more power than Barry Sanders....it's a true statement but it entirely misses what makes each great.

Pure passer? Yeah, Tua is probably better. That isn't what makes Lamar Dangerous though so I'm not sure why anyone would compare that.

It's like saying Jerome Bettis ran with more power than Barry Sanders....it's a true statement but it entirely misses what makes each great.
Well said. I think that's what some people miss on Tua. He doesn't have Lamar Jackson's size or incredible running ability. He can't throw the ball 70 yards from his knees like some QBs. But he has some traits that are clearly elite. Tua's accuracy and release are up there with the best to ever play the game (That's not hyperbole. His release has literally been measured as one of the best ever recorded and just last season he set the mark for the second most accurate month in NFL history). That doesn't meant that Tua is one of the best QBs. Kyle Boller had one of the strongest arms in the NFL, but that trait by itself doesn't equate to overall QB greatness. But accuracy and a fast release have proven to be strong predictors of NFL success. Like every other QB, he'll need pieces and a system where those traits can be maximized and his weaknesses minimized and then we'll see if he can prove himself to be a great QB.

BTW that's the same for every QB. You can't put Marino in an option or RPO offense and expect him to be successful. But you put his lightning release and elite accuracy in an offense with a couple of WRs that get great separation (Duper and Clayton) and he's setting records.

You can't put Lamar Jackson in an offense where he's not a threat to run and expect him to be effective. He can have a great passing game here and there, but he's not a consistently accurate enough passer to dominate from the pocket alone week in and week out. But as a runner Jackson can make NFL defenders look like toddlers at times. He always has that potential to win a game almost by himself.

All players have different strengths and weaknessess so they can be great in different ways. It's only those with a limited understanding of football that can't see a different way.

The perception is that Lamar is an elite player and one of the best in the league at the position.

The reality is that Tua is significantly more advanced in the arm and mechanics department.

It's hard to rationalize Lamar Jackson being better than Tua at the job of being an NFL QB.

Make no mistake about it, on any given Sunday Lamar Jackson could destroy any defense with the right parts around him and an accurate outing. However it's not going to be the case in Baltimore as it appears top shelf WR's don't want to be a part of that. Can't blame them. You can pretty much mark down the Ravens for a WR right now in the first round next year. No one worth a damn is going there otherwise.

They are very fortunate to have Mark Andrews. VERY, VERY fortunate.

" It's hard to rationalize Lamar Jackson being better than Tua at the job being an NFL QB "

This cannot be taken seriously as Jackson is already a way more accomplished QB and they are the same age! Wake me up when Tua has an MVP, starts leading us to the playoffs every year and has broken any kind of NFL record.

As for the fallacy of accuracy
Jackson - 64.1
Tua - 66.2
Not much difference here and I would put money on one of them taking a lot more chances downfield. Also, as bad as some of our receivers are the Ravens have none worth a **** either.

Last edited:
" It's hard to rationalize Lamar Jackson being better than Tua at the job being an NFL QB "

This cannot be taken seriously as Jackson is already a way more accomplished QB and they are the same age! Wake me up when Tua has an MVP, starts leading us to the playoffs every year and has broken any kind of NFL record.

Jackson - 64.1
Tua - 66.2
Not much difference here and I would put money on one of them taking a lot more chances downfield. Also, as bad as some of our receivers are the Ravens have none worth a **** either.
Hate to burst your bubble but he has been declining. Receivers don't want to play with him. There's a reason for that and it's blatantly obvious.

Jackson - 64.1
Tua - 66.2

Thanks Fitz.

I would not want Lamar as an NFL QB. His playing style is not sustainable.
Certain QB play styles certainly contribute to shortened careers. It's not hard to imagine a Lamar Jackson or a Josh Allen, who are obviously great right now, turning into Cam Newton sooner rather than later. Not saying it will definitely happen, but taking more hits and running more hasn't generally been correlated with long sustained excellence. Obviously, any of us would take an elite QB, even for a shorter run. But given the option I'm sure we'd all prefer the elite QB for a longer time frame.

Back
Top Bottom