2021 (Way-too-early) NFL Draft discussion | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021 (Way-too-early) NFL Draft discussion

Ja’marr Chase is by far my favorite dude in this draft class as of right now. I also really like Shaun Wade but I know we do not need a corner.
Didn't really need a corner in this draft...took one...high.

I really wish we would have gotten a RB this yr. in perfect position to get any top tier guy with our last 1st rounder. The guys we have are jags. I like Etienne but is value there? Not seeing a class like this years.
I love Chase and the TE’s look good.

Etienne is better than any RB in this recent Draft.

Hubbard as well.

I wouldn't take either in the 1st but i wouldn't take any RB in the 1st........................other than Walter Payton or Jim Brown.

Didn't really need a corner in this draft...took one...high.
You need more than 2 good corners on your defense. Having at least 3 but preferably 4 above average CBs is imperative if you want to have a great defense. Which is what Flores is trying to build. 3rd CB > 2nd RB.

You need more than 2 good corners on your defense. Having at least 3 but preferably 4 above average CBs is imperative if you want to have a great defense. Which is what Flores is trying to build. 3rd CB > 2nd RB.
3 good corners < 3 good safeties (we have no "good" safeties).

2 good CB's and 3 good safeties are slightly preferable to 3 good Cb's and 2 good safeties (TE coverage/run defense).

It wasn't an area of need. It's not even about if they work out or not because any draft pick can work out. It's a traits driven draft and our #30 pick has traits and tape. What he doesn't have is experience at the position and he's coming in to face a Bama type WR every game, not just when he plays Bama, LSU, or Florida.

I could have waited for him, just like the Titans waited on Kristian Fulton (same draft grade) 30 picks later. Now it's wait and see if our 1st rounder can be developed...our second 1st rounder to need development mind you.

3 good corners < 3 good safeties (we have no "good" safeties).

2 good CB's and 3 good safeties are slightly preferable to 3 good Cb's and 2 good safeties (TE coverage/run defense).

It wasn't an area of need. It's not even about if they work out or not because any draft pick can work out. It's a traits driven draft and our #30 pick has traits and tape. What he doesn't have is experience at the position and he's coming in to face a Bama type WR every game, not just when he plays Bama, LSU, or Florida.

I could have waited for him, just like the Titans waited on Kristian Fulton (same draft grade) 30 picks later. Now it's wait and see if our 1st rounder can be developed...our second 1st rounder to need development mind you.

It was an area of need. Just because FS was also an area of need does not remove CB from the needs list. The Dolphins had a lot of needs coming into this draft. This is basically year one of their rebuild after stripping the roster down before last season. They only have two proven above average CBs on the roster in Howard and Jones. While Needham improved as the season progressed they were not going to stand pat at that position when they could get a guy who they believe has versatility and the ceiling to become a shut down CB. Bobby McCain was signed to that contract under a different coaching staff. IMO I believe they are planning on moving on from him before the 2021 season. It appears that they liked Igbinoghene more than they liked any of the safeties that went in the 2nd round. Only time will tell if they were right. However they did try to fill a need with a player that they believe could develop into a high end starting CB. They are planning for the long term future not just the 2020 season

Every player coming out of college needs time to develop when entering the NFL. IMO Grier and Flores took some players that may need more time to develop but have higher ceilings and play more premium positions than other players they could have gotten at the same spot. Just because you believe they could have gotten the player further down in the draft doesn't mean anything. No one knows for a fact how far any of these players would have fallen and if they could have gotten them at their next pick. They wanted the players they picked and didn't want to chance losing them.

As far as safety goes they like Rowe at SS and have a higher opinion of Brandon Jones at FS than you may have. They were not going to fill every need in one off-season. They will have around another 70 million in cap space and another 5 picks in the first three rounds in 2021. They can try to address any needs that they were unable to fill this off-season. This was always going to be a 2 to 3 year rebuild, they were never going to fill all those "holes" in one off-season even with the extra resources they had.

Miami clearly rated Iggy(sorry but I am not even going to try his name)above ALL the Safeties since they were all on the board when they took him.

I am all for taking the best players over addressing need especially in Miami's situation of being at least a year away from playoff contention.

Maybe they sign a good S in FA next year, or draft one high.

With fewer holes on both sides of the ball Miami will be able to focus more specifically next off season.

I wonder if the Dolphins would prefer picking DeVonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle at WR since they already have a connection with Tua from Alabama. It looks like Ja’Marr Chase from LSU is probably getting picked as the first WR though.

I wonder if the Dolphins would prefer picking DeVonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle at WR since they already have a connection with Tua from Alabama. It looks like Ja’Marr Chase from LSU is probably getting picked as the first WR though.

Yeah, it'd be hard for anyone to pass up Chase, but Smith's game vs LSU was the most impressive game by any WR I saw in 2019/the bowl games. As good as Chase played vs Clemson, Terrell was able to stick with him for the most part - just lost at the catch point. Stingley, who is MUCH better than Terrell, couldn't stick with Smith at all.

Yeah, it'd be hard for anyone to pass up Chase, but Smith's game vs LSU was the most impressive game by any WR I saw in 2019/the bowl games. As good as Chase played vs Clemson, Terrell was able to stick with him for the most part - just lost at the catch point. Stingley, who is MUCH better than Terrell, couldn't stick with Smith at all.
I thought that this trend to equate the offensive players on 'Bama with the Greek pantheon of gods would slow down once Tua left...

I guess I was wrong....

I really wish we would have gotten a RB this yr. in perfect position to get any top tier guy with our last 1st rounder. The guys we have are jags. I like Etienne but is value there? Not seeing a class like this years.
I love Chase and the TE’s look good.
Yeah, I expected Miami to draft a running back. Hard to miss on those type guys, but I think the Breida trade is a good one. He's probably comparable to a Cam Akers. Perhaps even a little better.

I get the strategy. Build the line then likely get the skill position players.

Jamar Chase vs. Alabama (Trevon Diggs).

I subtract Smith's 60 yard TD because it was Tua and the LSU sideline responsible for that play.

Chase broke Diggs will...he wanted to hide...he couldn't because Jefferson would have done the same thing to him.

Back
Top Bottom