2021 (Way-too-early) NFL Draft discussion | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021 (Way-too-early) NFL Draft discussion

Jamar Chase vs. Alabama (Trevon Diggs).

I subtract Smith's 60 yard TD because it was Tua and the LSU sideline responsible for that play.

Chase broke Diggs will...he wanted to hide...he couldn't because Jefferson would have done the same thing to him.

Diggs is a few tiers below Stingley, but Chase definitely wore him out. Chase is phenomenal and the odds-on favorite to be WR1, but Stingley was otherwise dominant in 2019, and Smith made him look silly on play after playing. He won by running by him; he won on quick slants (EASY separation); and he won by going over the top of him.

I think Stingley will end up the best CB prospect since Patrick Peterson. He's already better than Okudah. Diggs is just a long guy with good ball skills. He's not particularly athletic or skilled. So, as great as Chase is, Smith's performance is more impressive to me. If you disagree, that's fine, but to behave as though I made a hyperbolic statement, well, it makes you look like a schmuck.

I get Chase as WR1 right now, but it’s kind of crazy that EVERY early 21 big board has Waddle over Devonta.

If you disagree, that's fine, but to behave as though I made a hyperbolic statement, well, it makes you look like a schmuck.

I do indeed disagree and if I have to look like a schmuck as opposed to a cheerleader (literally...pom poms and all) then that's a willing trade off.

I wanted to say that your entire stance was disingenuous to a degree, and showed me an obvious bias to either:
  1. Bama
  2. Tua
  3. Smith
But I didn't...

Chase SHOWED UP against NFL talent in 5 of the 7 games LSU played against to 10 competition. If you want to single out that one game...that's your choice. I choose to look like a schmuck sleeping well at night knowing that I don't have to shake excess pom poms off my clothes.

How about this: which game from a WR in 2019, and including the bowl games, was better?
Doesn't have to be better...as long as Smith's wasn't some outlier that was never seen in the CFB season.

My original post was about one game, though.

Smith was the most productive WR at Alabama fwiw.
I'm done. I like your posts (mostly). I don't really want to go back and forth about it. Agree to disagree.

Stingley was late off tbe ball at times vs Devonta smith. I specifically remember one long td in particular he was looking at the sideline at the snap cause they were trying to communicate/change the coverage call and as a result he got his head back around way late at tbe snap.

my biggest issue with Smith is his frame. That’s less than ideal.

stingley will be a top 5 pick in 2 years because he possesses a ungodly frame for the position.

Stingley was late off tbe ball at times vs Devonta smith. I specifically remember one long td in particular he was looking at the sideline at the snap cause they were trying to communicate/change the coverage call and as a result he got his head back around way late at tbe snap.

my biggest issue with Smith is his frame. That’s less than ideal.

stingley will be a top 5 pick in 2 years because he possesses a ungodly frame for the position.

Yes, on the first long TD, Stingley was looking over to the sideline at the snap. I don't believe it happened again, but Smith smoked him all game - ready or not.

Slightness is easily the biggest knock against Smith, and it's the only football-related reason for him to return for 2020. Generally speaking, I'd say it's a pretty big concern, but I don't see it as a significant hindrance for him.

Yes, on the first long TD, Stingley was looking over to the sideline at the snap. I don't believe it happened again, but Smith smoked him all game - ready or not.

Slightness is easily the biggest knock against Smith, and it's the only football-related reason for him to return for 2020. Generally speaking, I'd say it's a pretty big concern, but I don't see it as a significant hindrance for him.
What do you think about Bateman?

I didn't want to make another thread with this, but a discussion took place on Twitter involving Dolphins "priority FA's" next season.

The names spoken about were Godchaux, Breida, McMillan...I'll add Wilson.

Out of those four, which ones might you:
  • Resign
  • Let walk
Now comes the second part. If "walk" is chosen, what do you project the comp for each one gone would be?

I didn't want to make another thread with this, but a discussion took place on Twitter involving Dolphins "priority FA's" next season.

The names spoken about were Godchaux, Breida, McMillan...I'll add Wilson.

Out of those four, which ones might you:
  • Resign
  • Let walk
Now comes the second part. If "walk" is chosen, what do you project the comp for each one gone would be?
I would think Godchaux gets a similar contract to DJ Reader. What that entitles Miami to in terms of a comp pick, I have no idea. Wilson may get Miami a 4th or 5th round comp? McMillan and Breida are potential 6th - 7th round comp picks. It's all dependent upon size of contracts signed, with Godchaux being the largest of the bunch. I'd think a team like the Texans or Raiders would be interested in him. This is just my opinion of course. That's potentially 4 additional comp picks for 2022?

I would think Godchaux gets a similar contract to DJ Reader. What that entitles Miami to in terms of a comp pick, I have no idea. Wilson may get Miami a 4th or 5th round comp? McMillan and Breida are potential 6th - 7th round comp picks. It's all dependent upon size of contracts signed, with Godchaux being the largest of the bunch. I'd think a team like the Texans or Raiders would be interested in him. This is just my opinion of course. That's potentially 4 additional comp picks for 2022?
Exactly how I was thinking. I am partial to Wilson. I think he's good out of the slot, but if he can give me a decent season this year, he may have to go for the good of the team.

Those guys should not be hard to replace and Miami won't have nearly as much cash to throw around but they should be able to keep any and all of those guys if they want.

Breida seems like a guy they would want to keep since I doubt they traded a 5th round pick to rent him for one year.

He has never been able to should a big workload and likely won't for Miami so I don't see a huge FA market for a guy like him.I can't see a team making him the kind of offer Miami would not want to match.

Back
Top Bottom