2022 Cap Space | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2022 Cap Space

Look at all of these free agents

It's a high number since we sign so many guys to one year, prove it-style contracts... but it terms of quality, there isn't a lot there.

Baker, Gesicki, Fuller, and Ogbah should be the significant contributors on this list.

Needham and Preston Williams could be as well... but even if they dominate the NFL this year, they are restricted free agents and can't really get away.

We'll have the money to sign all of these guys... if we choose to.

Smythe ‘could’ be out the door THIS year ... they extended SHAHEEN and drafted LONG .... to me, writing is on the wall if he can’t contribute as a pass catcher ....
Unless we trade Shaheen or Gesicki, Smythe is a goner. We signed Carter to play special teams and gave him guaranteed money to do it.

Gesicki, Baker, and Fuller are three projected starters this coming season who will all be free agents in 2022 if the Dolphin don’t resign them before the end of the season. If they choose to not resign these players, they will have to either sign free agents next year to replace them or hope they can replace them with players on the roster now or future draft picks in the 2022 draft.

All of their replacements are already on the team. McKinney for Baker, Long for Gesicki, and Waddle for Fuller.

The last time the Dolphins actually had a full stadium was more than a decade ago. I had season tickets from 1973 through the 2018 season and for the last 10 years I was a season ticket holder, I saw less and less fans actually attending games and many of the fans attending the games were rooting for the opposing team.

While age and arthritis now prevents me from attending games, I do hope that with a young and exciting team, more Dolphin fans will start attending home games.
Whether Miami sells out or not has no bearing on the NFL cap in any way shape or form.

All of their replacements are already on the team. McKinney for Baker, Long for Gesicki, and Waddle for Fuller.
Not really. Waddle is more of a slot guy and Fuller is more of an outside guy. If Fuller leaves after this upcoming season, I would expect the Dolphins to look for another WR in free agency or the draft next year.

I agree but Smythe is also a free agent and it would be a big hit to the TE unit if they lose both Gesicki and Smythe in free agency. Until Long comes in and proves he can play in the NFL, it would be major issue if they lose both of them in free agency.

I think Long was drafted to be the long term starter at the TE position but it would be great if he and Gesicki could be the two top TE’s over the next 3-4 years.
Miami will let either Gesicki or Smythe walk but not both.

Alot of space, does that mean alot of free agents?

No, just quality.

There isn’t room on the roster for a lot of signing.

Miami will have all the leverage in negotiations. We don’t NEED anybody. Every move will be increasingly calculated from here on out.

You won’t see the 2020 spending spree again.

McKinney and Baker are intended as a long-term tandem at ILB. And McKinney had better stay healthy and produce this year because he has big salaries due in 2022 (3rd-highest on the team!) and 2023 and Miami owes no dead cap if we decide to move on from him.

I agree but Smythe is also a free agent and it would be a big hit to the TE unit if they lose both Gesicki and Smythe in free agency. Until Long comes in and proves he can play in the NFL, it would be major issue if they lose both of them in free agency.

I think Long was drafted to be the long term starter at the TE position but it would be great if he and Gesicki could be the two top TE’s over the next 3-4 years.

Smythe won't be on the team in 2021, so no need to worry about his 2022 free agency.

Well... let me be the first (in this thread) to say, I hope that not 1 dollar of this windfall of funds goes to a high dollar free agent from another team.
I like the younger, ascending player.

More of a Randy Starks type of a signing and less of a Suh or Mike Wallace.

IMO our biggest priority should be working on a long term plan for extensions of all of these draft picks. We need a wise strategy and it’s not waiting for them to get overpriced.

That would be next level management that we’ve lacked.

I’m all in on Tj Watt if by some miracle he becomes available, more likely in a tag and trade.

Obviously he’d get tagged but if San Frans pick is high enough for a QB that Pitt likes, that’s our only avenue to him. He’s obviously going to get a monster contract and the Steelers might be transitioning. AVG could have some trade value there too as a cheaper Watt replacement.

I’ll be watching Saquan Barkley and the Giants very closely as well this year. Kinda hoping their OL really struggles and Saquan becomes available at a discount.

Pipe dreams yes, but I smoke a lot of pipes and at this point why not shoot for the stars.

Again though, we don’t need anybody. I’m only doing trades and contracts that favor us and exploit leverage.

Last edited:
Nick Chubb will likely be a target. He makes sense, he’s an ox. I could see myself paying him for 4 years and not worrying too much about it.

I can’t see him getting tagged with the cheaper Kareem Hint signed and seemingly entrenched back in his home area.

It’s a big year for Cleveland and those WRs. They may have to revamp that group at seasons end.

Regardless, Chubb would be a welcome addition in Miami and make the offense scary.

Also TJ Watt, Fred Warner, Darius Leonard, Tremaine Edmunds.....unlikely any of the first three hit FA but I’d be all over them if they did. Maybe Edmunds?

Derwin James would be interesting. Given his injury he might not get the monster deal from the historically cheap Chargers who are also paying Joey Bosa an absurd amount.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom