2022 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2022 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

So do I understand by your color coding that Grayson McCall and Grant Wells both returned to school?

The good thing is that Herbstreit can sleep well knowing that Matt Corral loved football....

Corral was playing like trash anyway before the ankle injury. Lobbing up floaters into quadruple coverage into the MOF for interceptions.

The injury probably saved his stick a little bit.

Corral has no business being a 1st round pick. I don’t think he was going to be.

Grayson McCall would have been a very high draft pick if he had come out this year. He's the only guy in the country who managed the new gold standard of 11 YPA. In fact, McCall nearly ticked the next number. He was 11.9.

I've followed that category in recent seasons and realized the optics or the specifics don't matter much. If you are freakish level in terms of downfield proficiency the NFL gives you every benefit of a doubt. It's the reason I was confident the two 11 YPA guys from 2020 college season would go high...Zach Wilson and Mac Jones.

McCall didn't have the typical number of passing attempts, due to the nature of that offense. He would have needed greater verification at the combine, etc. I think it would have equated to first round and perhaps top half of the round. IMO, he should have recognized the weakness of this quarterback class and the significance of his own stats and taken a fling. But he seems a bit small town immature kind of like Josh Allen as a junior at Wyoming. That's probably why he decided he needed another year.

The only recent 11 YPA guy who wasn't taken in the first round was Jalen Hurts. Obviously the Oklahoma number was rationalized away. In a redraft Hurts would go in that first round.

Nobody else threatened 11 this year. Bailey Zappe was close for a while early season. Then Pickett. But I believe Stroud ended up second, in the 10 range. Believe it or not Stetson Bennett was also 10. Following his number all season is one reason I knew Georgia had a chance against Alabama. Dagger when needed.

Back
Top Bottom