2022 Wide Receivers (Underclassman) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2022 Wide Receivers (Underclassman)

I like David Bell. Maybe the Dolphins can get him with that pick in the 50 range.

As I posted last spring regarding Chase, separation is crap. You can't rely on separation in the NFL. You need receivers who can get the ball and defenders who can find the ball. The latter was always Noah's problem at Auburn.

Bell had Plummer at quarterback early season then O'Connell the rest of the way. And that combo allowed Bell to show off everything. With Plummer he was used on lots of quick outs and slants and reverses. Very effective kind of like a smoother but less aggressive version of Deebo Samuel. Then once O'Connell took over it was lots of deep jump ball situations, the type of thing O'Connell throws all the time. Bell excelled there also.

Even though Bell ended up at Purdue he was a high 4 star guy who had big offers including Ohio State.

This is what PFF summarized prior to the 2021 season. I always look for indications in the key categories toward NFL success, more than overall summary:

9. DAVID BELL, PURDUE

Bell is far from a separation-getter, but he makes up for it with his top-notch body control and strong play against tight coverage. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound receiver has produced a receiving grade against tight coverage as a true freshman and sophomore over the past two years that trails only LSU's Ja’Marr Chase and Alabama's DeVonta Smith for the best in the Power Five. His 30 contested catches in those two years are also seven more than anyone in the Power Five.

I think Bell is in play at 22 or wherever that SF pick is. But not as clearly as Burks. I do think however that Grier will prefer Bama receivers Williams or Metchie if one is available at that spot over Burks and Bell.

Drake London is that oft-abused cliche, a baller. QBs best friend.
you said it.

Drake London is someone I hope we target in the late first, with his skill probably will go earlier.

6'5 210 but has the agility and yac talent of a guy much smaller.

such a gifted athlete with precise route ability for Tua, can go up and snatch anything that Parker can do.

Strong hands, with excellent nuance for a young player., cray awareness and smarts.

highly competitive player, has dog in him big time and a lil cray cray.

if he runs in the 4.5's and is clean off the field is first round talent and is a great fit for our receiver unit, would trade parker in a second if we could land him.

Kid is a bigger better version of Michael Pittman and he hasn't even filled out yet.

kid is gonna be a beast in two years, can start immediately.

Last edited:
Exactly. I've emphasized that for a few years, after finally figuring it out. The key variables at wide receiver are competitiveness and toughness. That position is now like a separate round of boxing on every route. The combine is an absolutely brutal reference point because it displays none of that. All you get is the speed and diva nonsense.

In contrast, the combine or pro days are vital for running back evaluation. Raw speed is everything, especially in the value rounds. I've emphasized that for a few years, after likewise taking a while to transition to the new reality. That position is now the seldom used change of pace so you don't have to worry about moves and instincts. The 49ers got it wrong then right in 2021. They made a monumental blunder by taking a 4.57 guy Sermon in the third round. Then they more than made up for it by grabbing the 4.38 guy Mitchell in the 6th round.

Along with the speed guy at running back you also need a guy who plays like such a wild man upon contact that there is no way the opponent can approximate it or fully acknowledge how different it will be. Duke Johnson filled that role for Miami late season. I admired that he was sharp enough to adjust his style based on advancing age and changed skill set.
you want toughness and competitive nature check out London Awsi.

London is expensive for the round he is slotted to go in. 88 receptions but only 7 TDs and 12.3 average.
Dontario Drummond for example who is built like AJ Brown at 6-1 220, in 76 reception had 8 TD and 13.5 average. And he is slotted for 4-5th round.

London is expensive for the round he is slotted to go in. 88 receptions but only 7 TDs and 12.3 average.
Dontario Drummond for example who is built like AJ Brown at 6-1 220, in 76 reception had 8 TD and 13.5 average. And he is slotted for 4-5th round.
London is all day hi first round grade, slot player early on at 6'5 then moved outside and dominated, they also threw him a lot of bubble screens. which will tarnish that average.also only played 8 games.

Last edited:
I like London, but there is an argument that the college game is producing so many WRs that you can fill other positions early on and get 1st round talent at WR later. I saw video with Daniel Jeremiah the other day previewing his first mock where he said he has 17 WRs with first round grades! Obviously 17 WRs won't go in the first so there will be 1st round talent at WR that slips into the later rounds.

I like London, but there is an argument that the college game is producing so many WRs that you can fill other positions early on and get 1st round talent at WR later. I saw video with Daniel Jeremiah the other day previewing his first mock where he said he has 17 WRs with first round grades! Obviously 17 WRs won't go in the first so there will be 1st round talent at WR that slips into the later rounds.

I would not go that far to say 17 wideouts have first round grade, that's crazy imo. To me London is not first round talent because there are flags, production wise, frame wise.

just my opinion …but to me Jameson Williams is the best wideout in the draft from a pure talent perspective. I still like Burks and London a lot. And think Jahan Dotson can be an excellent player.

just my opinion …but to me Jameson Williams is the best wideout in the draft from a pure talent perspective. I still like Burks and London a lot. And think Jahan Dotson can be an excellent player.

To me he’s Tedd Ginn with Balls.
He was #4 at Ohio State for a reason though. His route running wasn’t good enough for Hartline. I’d certainly be happy with Williams at pick 29.

WR Justyn Ross (Big Board rank: 66)

Height: 6'4″ (89th percentile)
Weight: 210 (71st)
Arm: 32.12 inches (56th)
Hand: 9.63 inches (75th)
40-yard dash: 4.63 (9th)
20-yard dash: 2.72 (6th)
10-yard split: 1.76 (0th)
Vertical: 32 inches (9th)
Broad: 116 inches (17th)
Bench: 11 reps (26th)

WR Justyn Ross (Big Board rank: 66)

Height: 6'4″ (89th percentile)
Weight: 210 (71st)
Arm: 32.12 inches (56th)
Hand: 9.63 inches (75th)
40-yard dash: 4.63 (9th)
20-yard dash: 2.72 (6th)
10-yard split: 1.76 (0th)
Vertical: 32 inches (9th)
Broad: 116 inches (17th)
Bench: 11 reps (26th)
No idea he was that quick.

The idea of Williams and Waddle on the field together is hard not to get excited about.

It will be interesting if his ACL injury/rehab has any effect his Draft stock in the end.

Back
Top Bottom