2024 Cap Space Explanations | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2024 Cap Space Explanations

Great discussion of the Cap and I agree, no need to panic. The one number we will have to eat is the dead money for this upcoming year. We (Fins) have a $10.3 million dead cap hit and there are 6 teams (Chargers at $24.5 mill) in a worse position than us. By my limited knowledge, I believe that is going to reduce our overall cap number and there is no negotiating around it.
Like death and Thanos, dead cap is inevitable.

I mean, we had 8 total draft picks the past two years (3,4,7,7) (2,3,6,7). Kind of hard to judge anything on that. Those 6's and 7's are pretty much throw aways, so for intents and purposes your post is based on 4 players, 2 of which Fangio decided to red shirt for whatever reason, 1 who hit IR and Achane like you mentioned.

Is what it is. Hopefully Cam is a stud and comes in rockin and rolling next year. I have no idea about Tindall, I don't even bother following it anymore. But again, you say you can't have two bad drafts. I would completely counter that with you still have 2 years until you get to that point. If 2021 was a bad draft we may have had a problem. This draft ('24) I'm not even going to judge till its appropriate.

I get what you're saying though, you would like to see instant results from the draftees. Those usually come from the 1's and 2's, most other picks, well not corn, but skill positions require some massaging. Not having those two rounds the past two years has handcuffed our progression a bit and '24 should get us back squared up.

I digress though, this seems a bit more tailored to a drafting thread than a cap issue. 👍
Your making it to complicated. I not discussing who to blame or why we had this many picks. Just that from a pure cap issue going forward the 22 and 23 drafts will effect the the cap in a negative way. That is a 2 year gap of little to no production coming from players on a RC. Having guys on RCs produce saves money. Just football econ 101.

Your making it to complicated. I not discussing who to blame or why we had this many picks. Just that from a pure cap issue going forward the 22 and 23 drafts will effect the the cap in a negative way. That is a 2 year gap of little to no production coming from players on a RC. Having guys on RCs produce saves money. Just football econ 101.
Neither am I. Didn't even mention why we had such few picks, just that we did.

Neither am I. Didn't even mention why we had such few picks, just that we did.
Your the one that brought the 21 draft into, as if I was bashing drafting. I was pointing a fact that relative to the cap we are going to have a two year gap that is low on players producing on RCs.

Your the one that brought the 21 draft into, as if I was bashing drafting. I was pointing a fact that relative to the cap we are going to have a two year gap that is low on players producing on RCs.
When you only have 8/14 picks, context matters. Not sure you and I are on the same page here. Hard to have high producing players when you don't have the ability or picks to draft high.producing players. But sure, your fact is correct.

Not specific to this conversation, but it appears few ppl take a "complete picture" approach when stating opinions on what "they would do" with individual players.

An example would be someone saying "screw the future, go all in", then in another post quibble over a few million for Hunt. Not saying they are right or wrong in their opinion of Hunt, but if you're truly all in next year, letting Hunt walk doesn't make any sense, whatsoever.

Another example would be someone saying (usually because they dislike McD, Tua, Grier, etc) "tear it down and start over", then in another discussion saying "give Wilkins his $".

It just doesn't make sense for an overall plan of attack.

Wouldn't it be more productive do decide on a direction, then make decisions accordingly?

The one I really do not understand is those that say I don't want to tear it down, but I don't want to restructure and hurt the future cap situation.

We have a lot of FAs that are gone if we don't want to push $down the road. We aren't going to be able to replace them with equal players without pushing $ down the road. We don't have a lot of high draft picks, and even if we did, a bunch of rookies are not going to fill all the holes.

I guess what I'm saying is it looks to be an all or nothing situation. If it's "all", cap hell looms on the horizon. If it's a rebuild, makes no sense to delay it hoping for some magic or miracle.

I really don't see a path to competing with the top teams for a championship the next 2 or 3 years with half measures and a frugal approach.
Finding reasonable takes on the internet is supposed to be easy. 😁

When you only have 8/14 picks, context matters. Not sure you and I are on the same page here. Hard to have high producing players when you don't have the ability or picks to draft high.producing players. But sure, your fact is correct.
Your completely missing the point. The money/cap doesn't care about context or % of picks you hit on.
Say over the last 2 drafts team A had 20 picks and hit on 8, so 40%. Team B had 8 picks and hit on 4. Yes from an efficiency/draft stand point team B did better. We are talking about cap/money moving forward. Team A will be better off financially because they have 8 starters on RC vs team B with 4 on RC.

With Miami we traded picks (which have the upside of being more cost efficient in the future) for guaranteed better players in the now. I am not even trying to debate whether that was right or wrong. Just stating that a end result of that was less cap flexibility due to having less players contributing on RCs. All I pointed out was that the 22 and 23 drafts had/will have a negative effect on cap space vs talent ratio. I am not debating the context or why's that lead to it.

Personally hope Duke Riley and Kohou have played their last game for the Phins.

Kohous refusing to tackle Allen short of the 1st down on 4th down, and Rileys slapping at Mahoomes buttocks as he ran by and almost scored are scenes I hope to never have to see again in a Phinz uniform

Back
Top Bottom