3 players to consider at #14 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3 players to consider at #14

As of now, I'd guess the top 3 for Miami at #14 are:

Malcom Brown DT --- Love his quickness off the snap. Need and a fit going into free agency. Have to keep the DL strong.
Trae Waynes DB --- Dolphins need to get a bigger, physical corner and that's Waynes. Lot of debate as to whether or not a scheme fit or if he can adapt to a different scheme.
La'el Collins OT/OG -- I'm hoping this need is solved in free agency. If not, Collins would be a nice piece to add at LG and a player who could play LT if Alberts is hurt.

I know the fan base wants a wide receiver, but I think Miami waits until maybe the third round to get a big, physical, redzone target. While linebacker is a big need, I don't know about the value at #14. The Dolphins really need a MLB, but #14 is too high. I would love for the team to take Todd Gurley, but I think it's more likely the team adds a veteran who can block.

I hope someone for Miami has tape or MLB Stephone Anthony from Clemson he's going to surprise a lot of folks with his range. If he's there in round 3 we need to pull the trigger!!! I bet he'll be the top MLB from this draft.

I hope someone for Miami has tape or MLB Stephone Anthony from Clemson he's going to surprise a lot of folks with his range. If he's there in round 3 we need to pull the trigger!!! I bet he'll be the top MLB from this draft.

Definitely not, i completely disagree... i think Stephone Anthony is awful... I have watched his film and basically dont want him in any round. Yes he has athletic ability but this is my thoughts after watching his films:

ILB- Stephone Anthony of Clemson: He doesnt have range, doesnt seem overly fast. Though said to see him having good instincts and reading well with a great first step into holes... I see him mostly taking poor angles, and slow to the line. He tends to get lost in the middle too. He doesnt fill well, but instead gets into plays behind the action. Doesnt angle well to plays to the outside. He doesnt take on blocks, and doesnt get off blocks well... he plays unaggressively. There isnt much I liked in watching his film at all.

I cant make sense of this, can you explain further?

Can play boundary CB, uses his leaping and instincts to overcome lack of height - which reminds me of Grimes. His versatility as a playmaker reminds me of Honey Badger. Great on the blitz, makes the play outside the play look routine. Entering the NFL, though, he's stronger than either. He'd be a great, great fit in Miami. Instinctive, dynamic, great tackler. I'd look him up as early as the 3rd.

My 3

1. WR - I will take any of the top 4 DGB, White, Parker, Cooper (which ever, if any, fall to us)

2. DT - Malcom Brown or Danny Shelton...both would provide a much needed boast to the interior and have an impact against the run.

3. Todd Gurley - Best Running back to come out since AD...if knee checks out, you have a super star int he making.

The first two will be there I think....but I don't see us drafting Landon Collins when we already have a strong safety. And I don't us drafting Harold either.

Trae Waynes I have warmed up to....that 4.35 forty he turned in may have pushed him into the top 13 though.

I took another look at his film and would love to have him at 14....I just am beginning to doubt he'll be there.

As of now, I'd guess the top 3 for Miami at #14 are:

Malcom Brown DT --- Love his quickness off the snap. Need and a fit going into free agency. Have to keep the DL strong.
Trae Waynes DB --- Dolphins need to get a bigger, physical corner and that's Waynes. Lot of debate as to whether or not a scheme fit or if he can adapt to a different scheme.
La'el Collins OT/OG -- I'm hoping this need is solved in free agency. If not, Collins would be a nice piece to add at LG and a player who could play LT if Alberts is hurt.

I know the fan base wants a wide receiver, but I think Miami waits until maybe the third round to get a big, physical, redzone target. While linebacker is a big need, I don't know about the value at #14. The Dolphins really need a MLB, but #14 is too high. I would love for the team to take Todd Gurley, but I think it's more likely the team adds a veteran who can block.

I think your pretty close to nailing it....Brandon Scherff is another strong possibility with the flexibility to play all over the line if we don't address It in free agency.

I do think DGB will be there and one in the coversation as well.

It all depends on how it falls in front of us.

i'm still curious on what the like of bobby McCain is though.... Slimm hasnt answered back yet too.

I didn't realize you asked so I apologize, but what's not to like? Have you seen him play? Either during his career at Memphis, or at the Shrine Game?

He has great feet and recovery speed to go along with terrific quickness. Very fluid in his hips. His reaction time and burst to the ball, acceleration, anticipation, instincts, and ball skill are all the caliber of an NFL starter. Catches the football better than any DB in this draft. Solid tackler that's aggressive and doesn't back down. Really diagnoses routes early and reads the intent of the receiver in off man, clicks and closes with outstanding anticipation and burst on the ball in zone.

When you factor all of this together, it's why he has 11 int's in his last 22 games. McCain was a leader defensively for Memphis, which is a little rare for the position he plays. He could shut down one side of the field, and one of the keys to Memphis turning around their program. Great character and a hard worker on the field and in the classroom. Bama kid who I've watched since he was playing receiver in high school.

The only knock is his height at 5'9". Although being tall obviously doesn't mean you can play. He's the same height as Jason Verrett who went in the 1st round last year. Or Brent Grimes, or many other examples that have been set forth.

When you get to his combine performance, he's plenty fast at 4.51. His 3.82 short shuttle was the best of all DB's at teh combine, and illustrates his insane ability to change directions, accelerate, and recover any seperation gained by the receiver coming out of breaks. Which is why he's the ideal slot corner to keep up with quick twitch receivers with a 2-way go.

17 reps on the bench indicate his strength, and why he's a strong, aggressive tackler that doesn't back down.

His 11.22 long shuttle was top 5 among DB's at the combine. His 6.80 3-cone was top 5 among DB's at the combine. His 10'10" broad jump was top 3 among DB's at the combine, to go along with a 36" vertical.

Basically, his workout numbers reinforce his game tape. Which is what you're looking for with these workouts. I think he's going to be a helluva player in the pros and have a nice career. Grimes is a nice comparison. He's always reminded me a little bit of Alterraun Verner coming out of UCLA. Except McCain's workout numbers blow Verner away, and he's a better tackler.

I didn't realize you asked so I apologize, but what's not to like? Have you seen him play? Either during his career at Memphis, or at the Shrine Game?

He has great feet and recovery speed to go along with terrific quickness. Very fluid in his hips. His reaction time and burst to the ball, acceleration, anticipation, instincts, and ball skill are all the caliber of an NFL starter. Catches the football better than any DB in this draft. Solid tackler that's aggressive and doesn't back down. Really diagnoses routes early and reads the intent of the receiver in off man, clicks and closes with outstanding anticipation and burst on the ball in zone.

When you factor all of this together, it's why he has 11 int's in his last 22 games. McCain was a leader defensively for Memphis, which is a little rare for the position he plays. He could shut down one side of the field, and one of the keys to Memphis turning around their program. Great character and a hard worker on the field and in the classroom. Bama kid who I've watched since he was playing receiver in high school.

The only knock is his height at 5'9". Although being tall obviously doesn't mean you can play. He's the same height as Jason Verrett who went in the 1st round last year. Or Brent Grimes, or many other examples that have been set forth.

When you get to his combine performance, he's plenty fast at 4.51. His 3.82 short shuttle was the best of all DB's at teh combine, and illustrates his insane ability to change directions, accelerate, and recover any seperation gained by the receiver coming out of breaks. Which is why he's the ideal slot corner to keep up with quick twitch receivers with a 2-way go.

17 reps on the bench indicate his strength, and why he's a strong, aggressive tackler that doesn't back down.

His 11.22 long shuttle was top 5 among DB's at the combine. His 6.80 3-cone was top 5 among DB's at the combine. His 10'10" broad jump was top 3 among DB's at the combine, to go along with a 36" vertical.

Basically, his workout numbers reinforce his game tape. Which is what you're looking for with these workouts. I think he's going to be a helluva player in the pros and have a nice career. Grimes is a nice comparison. He's always reminded me a little bit of Alterraun Verner coming out of UCLA. Except McCain's workout numbers blow Verner away, and he's a better tackler.

thank you very much.... i definitely noticed his quickness and speed and athletic ability.... i gotta go back to the films though, there was just a lot i didnt like. but I'm definitely going to go through the films again

below was my first thoughts after watching him:

Bobby McCain- Mempis: not a physical , if WRs get into him they break off of him quick, he takes extra steps on little moves by WRs forcing him to get beat and need to recover often, doesnt seem to have good route awareness..... if i like him from anything in film is he could be a good zone scheme fit in a nickle... but otherwise i wasnt fond. also doesnt take good angles or effort into the running game. seems to be an athlete though that can run and has ability.... also seemed to have lots of confusion overall with other secondary players at times (communication?) but not blasting McCain for that at all.

My list if I had to cut it down to 3 would be :

1.) White/ Cooper/ Parker/ DGB

2.) Gurley/ Gordon

3.) Marcus Peters

Go all in for Pot Roast and Franklin in FA, I'm done ignoring skill positions in the top 15.

Todd Gurley
Brandon Scherrf
Lael Collins

I bet you didn't watch him in the bowl game or the Senior bowl?!? I do agree with you he needs to play more aggressively. Overall he's need to get coached up a bit than watch out!

I don't think sherff makes it past the rams.

And do people who keep calling for Gurley realize he won't be ready for awhile? 0 NFL experience, and 0 training camp time, he probably won't have a huge impact year one.

Go ahead and cross him off your list.

Back
Top Bottom