3 positions that need to be addressed from now until training camp. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3 positions that need to be addressed from now until training camp.

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
1. Interior OL (C or RG)- Top Candidates as of right now: McKinney and Hadnot.
I know HH is supposed to be the OL guru so I hope he can do something with McKinney and/or Hadnot. These 2 are the likely starters right now so they need to step it up. Hadnot was decent at RG so and he may be moved to C if McKinney can't cut it but it goes without saying that the interior line play must improve.

2. #3 WR- Top Candidates as of right now: Thompson and Gilmore.

We need a guy who can stretch the field. Gilmore has the speed but he's going to have to really improve his consistency from last year if he's to win the spot. Thompson has the size but is slow and has inconsistent hands. If we don't bring in a quality FA (Boston, Hakim or other), this will be a position that will hurt us.

3. FS- Top Candidates as of right now: Bell,Tillman, Bua, Meeuwssen

Bell has played ok but he's had 3 season ending injuries in 4 years (1 of which came when he was in college). Tillman is a former 2nd round draft pick who recently who hasn't had much PT in his 5 seasons in the NFL. Bua is switching back to S after switching back to LB in the NFL. He's a big hitter but I don't know if he's fast enough to help covering WR's and TE's. Meeuwssen is an UDFA who some believe he's more suitable to play SS. Nuff said.

phinfan2003 said:
I know HH is supposed to be the OL guru so I hope he can do something with McKinney and/or Hadnot. These 2 are the likely starters right now so they need to step it up. Hadnot was decent at RG so and he may be moved to C if McKinney can't cut it but it goes without saying that the interior line play must improve.

We need a guy who can stretch the field. Gilmore has the speed but he's going to have to really improve his consistency from last year if he's to win the spot. Thompson has the size but is slow and has inconsistent hands. If we don't bring in a quality FA (Boston, Hakim or other), this will be a position that will hurt us.

Bell has played ok but he's had 3 season ending injuries in 4 years (1 of which came when he was in college). Tillman is a former 2nd round draft pick who recently who hasn't had much PT in his 5 seasons in the NFL. Bua is switching back to S after switching back to LB in the NFL. He's a big hitter but I don't know if he's fast enough to help covering WR's and TE's. Meeuwssen is an UDFA who some believe he's more suitable to play SS. Nuff said.

We're fine at the RG spot. The loser of the LT battle in either Carey/McIntosh are prototypical RGs. Both can move well enough and are powerful enough to play RG.

Jaj said:
We're fine at the RG spot. The loser of the LT battle in either Carey/McIntosh are prototypical RGs. Both can move well enough and are powerful enough to play RG.

That says it all, I only position I'm a little concern about is safety..Other than Bell, I'm not sure about the rest...and that's scary since bell hasn't played a whole season.

I think we are fine at RG. What I think are our biggest needs is:
Center
Farsafety
Left Tackle

The losers of the competitions for Tackle will likely move to the interior. Carey and McDougle are both ideal Guards in terms of physical talent.

We're also going to let Wade Smith compete at Center, I wouldnt be surprised if he beats out McKinney and Hadnot.

We definitely need to address the safety issue. I think the team will sit pat with our OL and try to see what quality coaching will do. The WR issue will play itself out.

T tes said:
I think we are fine at RG. What I think are our biggest needs is:
Center
Farsafety
Left Tackle

Left tackle will get taken care of next draft. 4 very nice prospects that are better the Barron in next years draft. 6-10 or 7-9 should put us in position to draft one of them.

Hey Jaj, I still can't get over that pic of M. Roth you have in your signature....

AWESOME!!! He's going to be the new Terror Of The AFC East!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Jaj said:

I think McIntosh will win the job. With that said, do you see McIntosh and Carey battling through TC and then in late Aug when DMac wins they will just tell Carey to move over to RG? I know it was his rookie year but the way so many spoke about Carey's intelligence (or lack thereof) and his ability to pick up the pro game, It concerns me a bit.

BLITZKRIEG said:
Hey Jaj, I still can't get over that pic of M. Roth you have in your signature....

AWESOME!!! He's going to be the new Terror Of The AFC East!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!!

He is even bigger right now than in that picture. About 15 pounds of pure muscle bigger...

I didn't realize there was a position called farsafety :lol:

phinfan2003 said:
I think McIntosh will win the job. With that said, do you see McIntosh and Carey battling through TC and then in late Aug when DMac wins they will just tell Carey to move over to RG? I know it was his rookie year but the way so many spoke about Carey's intelligence (or lack thereof) and his ability to pick up the pro game, It concerns me a bit.

No I expect the winner to be chosen quite a bit earlier in training camp. Jason Taylor and Kevin Carter provide the two extremes of types of DL so Saban can get a good idea on who's the best available LT we have. Don't laugh but the best one I think is actually St. Clair.

He's got good size, good height, good feet, is consistant, and that is what you want from a LT if he wants to be a decent player. McIntosh on the other hand I'd rather have as a backup. I want Carey to be our RG basically. I want McDougle to also be our RT. Smith needs to learn to play C, but physically I could not think of a better C.

phinfan2003 said:

1. A bulked up Smith may challenge at center.

2.Kendall Newsome: sleeper who showed ability.

3. One of us is a little confused here. In my mind, ss is the run support guy, and free saftey is the cover guy... Bua is a ss candidate... Meeuwssen is a fs candidate

Jaj said:
He is even bigger right now than in that picture. About 15 pounds of pure muscle bigger...

I didn't realize there was a position called farsafety :lol:

Farsafety is pretty funny. If you heard Saban in those press conferences after the draft he was throwing out some crazy names as far as positions. When talking about Travis Daniels he said the kid played sub- safety, Money and Star positions on the field. :lol: Talk about a crazy defense Saban is brining in.

Back
Top Bottom