3 Yards Per Carry Episode 1.20 - Game Day! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3 Yards Per Carry Episode 1.20 - Game Day!

You know, the helmet rule should help us, you know since we can’t tackle for half a season anyway

Good stuff thanks, I enjoy listening to the programs.
Question for you though, how often do you get a chance to use this ( idiosyncratically )

Since it wasn't the right medium for this, I did not get to say all this on the podcast.

I originally identified five major weaknesses in the 2017 defense, from a purely statistical, results-based study:

1) allowing 4.84 yards per run when in Nickel personnel, which was the 30th worst yards per run carry out of all the NFL’s Nickel packages,
2) allowing 7.77 yards per pass attempt when in Base personnel, which was the 26th worst yards per pass attempt out of all the NFL’s Base packages,
3) allowing the 32nd worst conversion rate on 3rd & Long (3rd & 5 to 3rd & 10),
4) allowing the 30th most red zone touchdowns per red zone trip on defense, and
5) allowing the most ‘fantasy points’ (standard scoring) per game to Tight Ends.

Incidentally, their Pass defense out of Nickel (6.02 yards per pass attempt, ranked 19th), and their Run defense out of Base (3.69 yards per carry, ranked 19th) were nothing to write home about. They were not strengths. They just weren’t quite the same level of weakness as the other five.

I knew that Bobby McCain had played some CB in their Base packages as one of the two CBs. Turns out he was in on 20% of their Base personnel packages (72 of 365).

But here’s the thing, and this is remarkable.

The weakness in Pass defense out of Base personnel was almost exclusively limited to the other 80% of plays Bobby wasn’t in on. They allowed 8.17 yards per pass attempt on them. With Bobby in the game on Base, they allowed 6.61 yards per attempt, which would’ve ranked 15th among Base packages.

And the PFF data corroborates. His yards per target strictly from perimeter coverage ranked in the top 14 percent among qualifying corners.

What’s more, the Base packages he was in on allowed only 3.07 yards per carry. That would’ve ranked 7th in Run defense among all Base packages. When he wasn’t in, the Run defense out of Base dropped to 21st among Base packages.

And there is more. They allowed NINE touchdowns out of Base when he wasn’t out there, only forced one turnover. When he was out there they allowed only ONE touchdown, and forced one turnover.

No matter how you slice it, they were a better Base defense when Bobby McCain was the CB opposite Xavien Howard.

adds up to a very good extension deal on/for Bobby McCain.

Griese, Moore and Stockton are the highlight of preseason. Nothing else is remotely close. I hate it when occasionally a network steals a preseason game and we don't get our own crew.

They allow just the correct amount of emphasis. Once you reach their age -- or my age -- you understand preseason means next to nothing. I'll read the summary threads here and personnel blather but none of it will stick, not once Griese and Nat get going. I love their references. I always get the trivia question correct.

Fans handicap the preseason properly, by the numbers who bother not to show up.

Besides, we've got PGA Championship golf today and Pan-Pacs swimming underway. Those are top tier meaningful competitions.

I suppose I'll pay some attention to Gesicki. He was a guy in college who never seemed to fully unleash, despite the athletic testing and those high school basketball videos. Somehow it didn't translate to the football field, where he always seemed a bit tentative and not merely in blocking. I always thought if he could just run a bit taller and assert his athletic arrogance when the ball arrived you might really have something. Perhaps he has figured that out. In college the other kid with top athletic ability -- Dallas Goedert -- played more confidently than Gesicki did in those contested situations, despite not being as gifted as Gesicki.

McCain in the base? Isn't he too short, only real good corners can get away with being small on the boundary

He's 5094...which is 5 feet, 9.5 inches.

Simple fact of the matter is he's already played in the Base and the defense did a whole lot better than when he wasn't playing in the Base.

Simple fact of the matter is he's already played in the Base and the defense did a whole lot better than when he wasn't playing in the Base.
Fair enough i wasn't paying attention i guess. I need to look at the film. I really like McTyer and hope he steps up

I'm not saying this was the case with McCain, because I honestly have no idea. But it could be that he was simply easier to target when not in the base defense.

What I'm saying is entire passing offenses nowdays are predicated on getting you into 5+ DB's and attacking the weak link. Secondaries ultimately end up being judged by how well the safeties are able to cover in space, and whether that nickel guy is just a warm body or an actual player. I know at the SEC level, the nickel guy is the most important DB on the field in our (Saban's) defense.

If I'm calling plays, I can get whatever I want on that slot guy, whether it's size, speed, or quickness.

I'm not saying this was the case with McCain, because I honestly have no idea. But it could be that he was simply easier to target when not in the base defense.

What I'm saying is entire passing offenses nowdays are predicated on getting you into 5+ DB's and attacking the weak link. Secondaries ultimately end up being judged by how well the safeties are able to cover in space, and whether that nickel guy is just a warm body or an actual player. I know at the SEC level, the nickel guy is the most important DB on the field in our (Saban's) defense.

If I'm calling plays, I can get whatever I want on that slot guy, whether it's size, speed, or quickness.

That's a good point.

Though I wouldn't say his defense in Nickel was bad, really. Allowed 38 catches on 54 targets for 367 yards, 1 TD, with 2 INTs and 3 more PBUs.

I thought he had some issues particularly with size and physicality in the red zone a year ago (2016) when he allowed 4 touchdowns. But that came down nicely in 2017.

I think in Nickel, everyone would want him right where he'll be, where we're used to seeing him. But they bring out Base on about 25-35% of the snaps, depending on what the offense does. I don't know that I see any reason to leave him sitting on the bench in favor of Torry McTyer or Cordrea Tankersley, when that happens.

That's a good point.

Though I wouldn't say his defense in Nickel was bad, really. Allowed 38 catches on 54 targets for 367 yards, 1 TD, with 2 INTs and 3 more PBUs.

I thought he had some issues particularly with size and physicality in the red zone a year ago (2016) when he allowed 4 touchdowns. But that came down nicely in 2017.

I think in Nickel, everyone would want him right where he'll be, where we're used to seeing him. But they bring out Base on about 25-35% of the snaps, depending on what the offense does. I don't know that I see any reason to leave him sitting on the bench in favor of Torry McTyer or Cordrea Tankersley, when that happens.

Let me ask you this then - do you expect that 25-35% of snaps in base defense to remain consistent, and do you expect Miami to run any 6 DB packages? I remember you pointing out how averse Miami has been in the past to playing Dime packages compared to other teams in the league.

Let me ask you this then - do you expect that 25-35% of snaps in base defense to remain consistent, and do you expect Miami to run any 6 DB packages? I remember you pointing out how averse Miami has been in the past to playing Dime packages compared to other teams in the league.
Doesn't that depend on how much they like Jalen Davis? Or maybe the use Fitzpatrick in the slot in dime and roll with McDonald with Jones at safety

Doesn't that depend on how much they like Jalen Davis? Or maybe the use Fitzpatrick in the slot in dime and roll with McDonald with Jones at safety

Probably not. My intention would be more towards being able to get 3 safeties on the field in a 6 DB package. One of those being more of a hybrid defender (Fitzpatrick)

I think I've heard one of the beat writers say they haven't seen McCain outside yet, all his work is coming from the cover slot? At some point, if what you think is true he would need to get some work out there

If Jalen Davis makes the team it's the practice squad, I would think.

I would think the 6 guys' are either - Howard, McCain and/or (McTyer or Tankersley) and the 3 safties Jone, Fitzpatrick, TJ McDonald
or - Howard, McCain, Tankersley, McTyer, Jones, Fitzpatrick

Back
Top Bottom