3Ps Totally off topic Heat/Pistons thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3Ps Totally off topic Heat/Pistons thread

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
phunwin said:
Man, I'm glad I'm not alone on this board. I do know where they WON'T be: at the games. I'd swear Heat fans are Dodger fans in baseball for all the late arrivals, early departures and no-shows. Piston fans? Hey, say what you want, but we care. We care so much that we knocked one of our main rivals out of serious contention by igniting a massive brawl. :evil:

Uh, anyway, back on topic, Doc, why don't you give us your $0.02 on the offensive line? How big an impact do you think Hudson Houck will have, given that he's working with pretty much the same group of guys (plus Stockar McDougle)?
What??????????

You guys are smoking crack. The Pistons are a bunch of thugs that can't compete with Miami off the bench.
Shaq is going to turn Wallace into his little girlfriend.
Sorry but this the year of the heat.

phinphanphrommi said:
Questions... questions... questions...

How upset will all the Heat homers be when the Pistons steamroll them in the playoffs? :evil:

Seriously though... a sort of overview of the position battles would be fantastic... sort of a compare/contrast sort of piece? Your discretion of course... I'll leave the details to a professional such as yourself.

:roflmao: :shakeno:

You're playing a bunch of role players that play like a team, not an overpriced over-the-hill group of legends + shaq and kobe who hated each other....

Real team in the eastern conference finals vs. real team...will be a battle...

fin-atic said:
What??????????

You guys are smoking crack. The Pistons are a bunch of thugs that can't compete with Miami off the bench.
Shaq is going to turn Wallace into his little girlfriend.
Sorry but this the year of the heat.

Just like in last year's finals, right Matt? Yeah, Shaq sure manhandled Big Ben there. :lol:

Hate to break it to y'all, but though he's still dominant on the offensive end, Shaq's not nearly the defensive force he once was. Larry Brown's smart enough to know that and go right at Shaq, which is the best way to beat the Heat. Make The Big Whatever work, and maybe pick up a few cheap fouls.

As an aside (and this is a serious question, not trash talk), do you guys seriously cheer for Alonzo Mourning, or do you just grudgingly accept the fact that he's part of the team? The guy turned his back on the Heat, an organization that stood by him through his kidney problems, to sign a deal with New Jersey, which he promptly whined his way out of the minute things looked like they were going south, and then forced a trade to Toronto, where he refused to play, before coming back to Miami. If you accept the fact that he's the best backup center in the NBA and a valuable asset, that's cool, but can you seriously get behind a guy like that?

And in an effort to keep this topical, the article looks like it's shaping up nicely, Doc! :)

phunwin said:
As an aside (and this is a serious question, not trash talk), do you guys seriously cheer for Alonzo Mourning, or do you just grudgingly accept the fact that he's part of the team? The guy turned his back on the Heat, an organization that stood by him through his kidney problems, to sign a deal with New Jersey, which he promptly whined his way out of the minute things looked like they were going south, and then forced a trade to Toronto, where he refused to play, before coming back to Miami. If you accept the fact that he's the best backup center in the NBA and a valuable asset, that's cool, but can you seriously get behind a guy like that?

And in an effort to keep this topical, the article looks like it's shaping up nicely, Doc! :)

Since we have derailed from the good Doctors thread i might as well contribute(maybe a mod can split this):

I love Zo always have always will. I would have done the same thing he did. I been with the company i am with now for 5 1/2 yrs. I have been loyal to them and I am one of the "golden boys" here. Now if our biggest competior came to me with an offer for more money I would turn in my 2 weeks and be out the door. I dont blame him for taking more money when he was not gonna be part of the game down here. I am glad he is back and any team in the NBA would love to have him on their roster right now!

phunwin said:
Just like in last year's finals, right Matt? Yeah, Shaq sure manhandled Big Ben there. :lol:

Hate to break it to y'all, but though he's still dominant on the offensive end, Shaq's not nearly the defensive force he once was. Larry Brown's smart enough to know that and go right at Shaq, which is the best way to beat the Heat. Make The Big Whatever work, and maybe pick up a few cheap fouls.

Phil, that's starting to sound like the makings of a bet...

Edit: the mods really should split the Heat posts out of this thread, out of respect for the good Doctor.

NaboCane said:
Phil, that's starting to sound like the makings of a bet...

Edit: the mods really should split the Heat posts out of this thread, out of respect for the good Doctor.

You got it. What's the wager?

phunwin said:
You got it. What's the wager?

The Heat wins the series against Detroit, you wear a Heat logo in your sig; Detroit wins, I wear a Pistons logo in mine.

I'm hoping for a Seattle-Miami Finals - that would be SO VERY COOL!!!

NaboCane said:
The Heat wins the series against Detroit, you wear a Heat logo in your sig; Detroit wins, I wear a Pistons logo in mine.

I'm hoping for a Seattle-Miami Finals - that would be SO VERY COOL!!!

Done deal, assuming this is contigent on a Heat-Pistons EC Finals, i.e., if by some act of God the Pacers or Wizards win, the bet's off.

phunwin said:

Shaq manhandled the pistons last year...the rest of the team didnt do squat...I'm not a Laker fan and that is what I saw. all those overpriced, overrated players (if i remember correctly, Kobe didnt have a great series either, except for that game-winning shot)....The team the heat are fielding this year is a better OVERALL TEAM (when it comes to team concept), no egos there like Los Angeles did.

phunwin said:

Shaq is fine defensively. It's the refs that screw him. You take a look at how teams double team him, and how they get away with pushing him in the back, and then look at how all he has to do is give a little push on the defensive end and the whistle blows. ESPECIALLY if it's Dick Bavetta!! He hates Pat Riley, and will never, ever call a game their way. Game one against Washington, and Shaq fouls out. Who was the ref? Ol Dick.....

The Heat's one problem on defense is not Shaq. Haslim needs to help out more when teams come at Shaq, taking a couple of the cheap fouls away from the big man. As I recall, Shaq did quite well against Wallace in last years finals, it was the rest of the team that crawled into a shell. That's not what you get with this years Heat.

This will surely not be easy for either team, especially for the Heat if Shaq can't run. But the Heat are a team, one that always seems to have someone step up, plus they have the most up and coming player in the league, so it could be real interesting.

The one thing that Detroit can exploit is Damon Jones' defense, which is pretty much non existant. Playing against one of the better point guards in the league will be a huge mismatch, and could very well be the do or die for either team.

The Heat surely is not the Lakers of last year........

TerryTate said:
Shaq manhandled the pistons last year...the rest of the team didnt do squat...I'm not a Laker fan and that is what I saw. all those overpriced, overrated players (if i remember correctly, Kobe didnt have a great series either, except for that game-winning shot)....The team the heat are fielding this year is a better OVERALL TEAM (when it comes to team concept), no egos there like Los Angeles did.

Kobe didn't have a great series because Tayshaun Prince made life miserable for him. Shaq's numbers from the series are impressive, but the Pistons' strategy was "let Shaq get his, and don't let the other guys beat us." And that's precisely what they did: Shaq played well, but wasn't able to carry the team to victory because they shut down Kobe & Co. Game 4 was a PERFECT example: Shaq played a monster game, but was winded by the fourth quarter.
If they can shut down Kobe Bryant, they can shut down Dwyane Wade.

phunwin said:

This is a much better team around Shaq. Wallace won't have the luxury of having two other players collapse on Shaq with him. They will have to play every man on the HEat, not just Shaq.

As far as Zo goes, he is extremely popular here. I was actually at his first game back in Miami. The crowd was going nuts chanting for him. When he went into the game the place erupted. He is very involved in the community. His Zo's Summer Groove raises tons fo charitable dollars. His passion and warrior presence is great to watch. When he left the Heat, he was still weak and ailing and had this huge salary. Riley and he both new it was not good for the team. It was actually for amenable and the fans were fine. We are just happy to see him back and would love to see him get the title. Next to Marino and Shaq, Zo is probably the fan favorite in So. Florida.

The thing that bugs me most is people who belittle the Pistons accomplishments... people who say that the Pistons didn't beat the Lakers... that the Lakers lost to the Pistons. Adding a bunch of veterans ala Shula in his final push usually backfires, but what people are neglecting is that the Lakers were a successful group of players. Before the Pistons trampled them last season, the Lakers had gone to the WC semi finals in 2003, won the championship in 2002, and won it in 2001. Far from a scrub team. And before you proclaim the changing roster argument... remember that the centerpiece for that team was Kobe/Shaq dating back to their championship runs.

The Pistons are the defending champs and still get no love... but that's alright! The Lakers weren't a bad team last year until they got owned... in fact they were the odds on favorite to win the championship. The Pistons were given little chance last year, and again this year... but you'll see. Maybe after back to back wins the Pistons will get some love... but I won't hold my breath. :evil:

The Pistons are a very good team. And if Shaq doesn't get healthy by the next round anything can happen. But if he is 75% or more, I do not think the Pistons have the bench or depth to win.

I say Miami in six games.

Back
Top Bottom