3rd Round Jerome Baker | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3rd Round Jerome Baker

I know he was a "sure tackler" in college. But do you worry about his grab and hold on style holding up in the NFL? Never seems to be an umph behind his tackles.

His tackling seems reliable. I much prefer guys who wrap in their tackling as opposed to guys who fancy themselves hitters. He misses tackles. Doesn't miss a ton of them though.

So what does that mean? Do you see him as impressive here? I see him athletic and he recognizes plays and is able to shed blockers to get in the backfield. And he can cover, or so it seems.

But I also see that he is not a thumper, which will only be more noticeable at the next level I imagine, and I also noticed he gets absorbed by blockers during run plays right at him.

It seems he could work on both issues by adding bulk. He doesn't seem lights out great but he does seem like he could be better than our current linebackers.

The video is there for you to make up your own mind.

Miami's Wide-9 front dictates that defensive linemen shoot first and ask questions later. Meaning they attack the gaps and read pass first, then react to the run. To compensate, the linebackers have to shoot first and ask questions later in a different way, they read run first, and then react to the pass. This is one reason pass defense with our linebackers has been such a challenge (in addition to them being ill equipped for it from a speed standpoint, and Burke's over-reliance on linebackers in general where defensive backs would be better).

Priorities being structured in this manner may tempt you into getting big thumpers. Burke himself is tempted into this. But I think that may be a bit backward. The system of priorities for the linebackers allow them to pin their ears back and attack the blocking, attack the run. This is an aid to their natural run defending skills; the style augments their natural ability to attack and get off blocks by taking away hesitation, letting them go all-out. But it really creates a tough situation with respect to coverage and misdirection, because they're going to be reacting to that stuff; constantly a bit late, and a bit out of place. Getting guys like Jerome Baker who have really great advantages in coverage (speed, ball skills), and really great advantages in containment (speed)...that's one way to make that pill easier to swallow.

Ideally you want the whole package. You want the dude who is great on the attack against the run and who will be that much better being asked to pin his ears back, but also a guy that is so great from a speed and coverage standpoint that he has no trouble getting back from being a few steps out of place or a tad bit late. You'd love to have Brian Urlacher. Unfortunately, you rarely get a shot at Brian Urlacher.

Sort of like you rarely get a shot at Ndamukong Suh on the defensive line. Thus if the Dolphins are to pick among imperfect options at defensive tackle, they want to find the guys who are built certain ways. The front style augments a interior player's natural penetration and pass rush skills by asking them to pin their ears back, taking them off leash so to speak, and really teaching them how to get off the ball explosively. But then it creates a difficult ask in run defense by having them react to the run. So from a personnel standpoint they're responding by getting guys like Davon Godchaux, Akeem Spence, and Jamiyus Pittman, all of whom profile a certain way. It's why they're interested in Terrell McClain, and I guess we will find out if they put in a claim on Rakeem Nunez-Roches (it would surprise me if they do not).

Inconsistency is a hallmark whenever I'm watching tape of underclassmen. It's just what I expect to see. It's usually ironed out a bit as a senior, if it's going to get ironed out at all. He came out early and so we don't get to see that.

But there are some things to keep in mind. He grew as a player in some ways from 2016 to 2017, but 2016 was a year where he had more favorable circumstances, and thus he was more able to allow his talents to shine, and not put in too many circumstances where his weaknesses showed.

By 2017 the Ohio State Buckeyes were operating a little bit different style of defense, with Greg Schiano no longer having to co-coordinate with Luke Fickell. They also lost Malik Hooker, Marshon Lattimore, and Gareon Conley from the back end, as well as his partner in crime Raekwon McMillan from the linebackers unit.

Trust me, that had an effect. There were times when a safety was supposed to be there and simply was not. There were other instances where some switch releases or pick routes could have gone better if the corner and linebacker had more chemistry and experience together.

There was a big touchdown by Ian Thomas of Indiana like that. Watch the secondary communication before the snap, watch what Jerome Baker tries to communicate to the boundary-side safety prior to the play, and the communication in the secondary on the field side. There's a reason Jerome Baker over-played the out on that out-and-up. He had far too much field to cover by himself. That he got there, and created a situation where Ian Thomas had to make a very impressive toe-dragging catch to score...is a credit to Jerome's athleticism. But that safety should've been there and he wasn't.

There were other plays where Jerome was late in relating to the receiver, peeking in the backfield, and tried to make up for it with his closing speed, didn't quite get there. This is all learning stuff, though.

Agree on most parts, but some additional comments:
- With uptempo schemes and the high rate of early entries, kids are playing early and getting a ton of reps....so to me, if they haven't work those things out by year 3 (with 2-3 years of starter reps) they probably wouldn't by year 4, with the 1-year starters being the exception. They may in the NFL with more practice time, film time and coaching....but i don't see it having a huge impact on the college evaluation.
- Inconsistencies with effort is a red flag at any stage. Some change their stripes, many do not. Depends on the kid and situation but something i would typically avoid based on past examples. We don't know the kids.....we don't do interviews, watch practice, speak to teammates/coaches, etc so we can only go on tape. The one thing in Baker's favor is the impact plays. Guys with effort questions tend to get more of a pass if they produce enough on the other plays.
- Completely understand the talent that OSU lost - and yes that would have an impact on anyone. That said, that front 4 was still monstrous, which usually results in better opportunities for LBs with the OLine being occupied......and if losing others puts a bulls-eye on him and exposed weaknesses, those are weaknesses that can be exposed at the pro level (communication issues you referenced being the exception). As i stated earlier, his biggest weakness is in the run game getting off blocks. You can power run right at him with ease.
- I took another look at the Indiana game but didn't see what you were referencing, so maybe i'm missing something. I saw Worley motioning/communicating to Booker and Webb on the far side of the formation, but i didn't see Baker or Fuller (behind him at S) move or motion at all.

Agree on most parts, but some additional comments:
- With uptempo schemes and the high rate of early entries, kids are playing early and getting a ton of reps....so to me, if they haven't work those things out by year 3 (with 2-3 years of starter reps) they probably wouldn't by year 4, with the 1-year starters being the exception. They may in the NFL with more practice time, film time and coaching....but i don't see it having a huge impact on the college evaluation.
- Inconsistencies with effort is a red flag at any stage. Some change their stripes, many do not. Depends on the kid and situation but something i would typically avoid based on past examples. We don't know the kids.....we don't do interviews, watch practice, speak to teammates/coaches, etc so we can only go on tape. The one thing in Baker's favor is the impact plays. Guys with effort questions tend to get more of a pass if they produce enough on the other plays.
- Completely understand the talent that OSU lost - and yes that would have an impact on anyone. That said, that front 4 was still monstrous, which usually results in better opportunities for LBs with the OLine being occupied......and if losing others puts a bulls-eye on him and exposed weaknesses, those are weaknesses that can be exposed at the pro level (communication issues you referenced being the exception). As i stated earlier, his biggest weakness is in the run game getting off blocks. You can power run right at him with ease.
- I took another look at the Indiana game but didn't see what you were referencing, so maybe i'm missing something. I saw Worley motioning/communicating to Booker and Webb on the far side of the formation, but i didn't see Baker or Fuller (behind him at S) move or motion at all.

I just don't agree as I've seen all manner of future NFL stars as underclassmen not necessarily playing through the whistle on every play. Some coaches emphasize it. Some coaches are fine with kids not running all-out when the play's away from them. They'd rather they conserve their energy for when they need it.

As for the defensive front, yes they were good, but that's not that relevant. They were good when they were letting blockers get into Ryan Shazier all day long. The scheme is the scheme. Either your guys are focused on occupying the blockers to free up the linebackers or they're not. They were not.

In power runs, his job was to attack the block, not necessarily get off the block to the runner. You can see him do it several times in the video I posted (e.g. at the 0:07 second mark, or at the 1:38 mark). He does it textbook. He did it how he's coached to do it. He explained as much during his introductory press conference.

As for the play against Indiana, this is the view of the defense just before the play.

In the words of Bill Parcells, "Show me what he CAN do, not what he CAN'T do."

I like how he doesn’t overpursue and leave a RB or TE leaking out wide open. How many times have we seen that mistake over the last 5 years?

Look at the undersized guys we have at LB. Mike Hull (232 pounds), Baker (229), Alonso (233), Garvin (230). We need more 245-250 pounders who can run.
The eagles starting 3 lb’s were 238, 239, and 240. Our starting 3 for this year will be at 243, 239 and 229. Count on baker adding a few Lb’s before the season starts.

Back
Top Bottom